• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Where we at with wasting your time getting a Master's Degree?

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
Pretty hilarious. Just had an old friend hit me up for the first time in over a decade.

He tells me he's a manager at an Extra Space Storage. Now there is no shame in that job, in fact I'm sure it pays decently enough to get by. But it dawned on me as he was speaking, this nigga has a BA and an MA under his belt. International studies type stuff along with something in medicine.

This fella has never taken advantage of his degree. He worked as a manager at a Subway during and after he graduated college.

No scholarships, just student loans. It blew me away how he's just aware and content with blowing 100k+ on education he is.

Did anyone here waste their time and money on a degree?

The phones are lighting up.

JesseTheGovernor

Access to the Debates
Forum Clout
Unless it’s STEM or you want to be a professor or something specific that actually requires it then it’s a waste of time. If you have the capability to do it but you don’t have any real goal in mind then it’s not worth it at all. Even in the STEM degrees, I know so many people with MAs/MScs who do fuck all and work at Best Buy or whatever. Which is fine, but they could have done that with their high school.

I regret doing my MA. I realized quickly that I did not want to do it but plowed ahead because I felt pot committed. Luckily I was able to pivot into a new degree unrelated to my BA.

That’s another thing about degrees in general. People complete them and think they are unique and employable….just like the other million students who graduated with psych/english/philosophy etc degrees. It’s not the NFL, recruiters aren’t waiting for you at the exit (unless you are top of the class in STEM/law/business schools). Networking and drive are significantly more important than any degree.