Where we at with the Scarface?

DMAN

NYC Mayor
First time I saw Dog Day Afternoon I probably laughed harder than anything in life when the bank tellers start shaming him like they're his parents.

Why didn't you leave when you had the chance??? You didn't even have a plan???

Police chief looking exactly like Tim Dillon

One of the best LPs of the 90's

1642582793869.png

JoeBrotheChildSpitGuzzler

I Am Racist Man Leader of the Digital Ku Klux Klan
I agree. The first time I saw Scarface I thought it was almost a good movie but with a couple of really, really ludicrous over-the-top scenes that detracted from the message.

The second time I saw it, I viewed it as more like a dark comedy - like Trainspotting for example - and I really liked it.

I think I even watched it a third time and enjoyed it. It's just fun and silly. Pachino's performance is really amazing - nobody else could have done that! "Your womb is so polluted!" - that's a great line!

I even wonder whether the famous montage music was deliberately bad

When you're reaching for the back of beyond
Nothing's going to touch you, nothing's that strong
It's the limits (the limiiiiiiits)

That's not what the phrase "back of beyond" means!

That's some Italian musician who has written a few soundtracks and got some confidence and is now adopting the Patrick Tomlinson approach to writing. He hit up the thesaurus for "extreme" or "far out" and found the term "back of beyond" and assumed it meant going further than most men would dare to tread.

It doesn't.

"back of beyond" means buttfuck nowhere.

But I love that stupid detail!

It's a dumb movie that somehow managed to snag an insanely good young lead actor, and a strong supporting cast. The director clearly didn't GAF and just went with it.

So yeah, watch it a second time bearing in mind that it's a comedy movie that doesn't present itself as a comedy and I think you will enjoy it.
watching it more recently I have to agree. so much of it was so cheesy, especially the take it to the limit montage. But at the same time the Restaurant "Say goodnight to be bad guy" scene is one of the best pacino has done

"Carlito's Way" was a lot better
Absolutely. Pacino is better and wasn't doing his "yelling every line" style of acting yet. And Sean Penn played such a fucking scumbag. It showed that basically everyone involved in the business were pieces of shit and Carlito was basically fooling himself believing he could change into something else. Lalin trying to screw him over, Dave trying to rip off the gangster, Leguizamo's Street Spic, the guys Carlito's cousin dealt with who killed him. Hell he did time and did "the right thing" by keeping his mouth shut and when he met at the cafe with his old boss the guy basically told him in as many words he didn't shit coming to him for his loyalty.

Last edited:

Jims_Maroon_Pants

crumbly feta enjoyer
I don't understand why this movie is revered and glamorized in certain types of music and culture. The movie was mediocre at best. Just a little better than other 80s drek. The broad who played Tony's sister was attractive but the hair...it didn't seem to match the rest of her, I don't know what it is
Ole sea sponge hair

Dummy Gaynuts

Pookie-pie water-pig
Absolutely. Pacino is better and wasn't doing his "yelling every line" style of acting yet. And Sean Penn played such a fucking scumbag. It showed that basically everyone involved in the business were pieces of shit and Carlito was basically fooling himself believing he could change into something else. Lalin trying to screw him over, Dave trying to rip off the gangster, Leguizamo's Street Spic, the guys Carlito's cousin dealt with who killed him. Hell he did time and did "the right thing" by keeping his mouth shut and when he met at the cafe with his old boss the guy basically told him in as many words he didn't shit coming to him for his loyalty.
I'm gonna watch that shit again tonight