Where We At With The: Plane Ride From Hell (Vice's Darkside of the Ring)?

EraGodless

I'm pretty sure the stories of Flair being incorrigible and wild are well known-- niggas are trying to cancel Ric Flair. This is the hill I will faggotly die on. The plane ride/Flair seemed like a good time and par for the course for the WWE. Fake fawkin' characters, real fawkin problems.

"Never leave your drink alone."-- Jim Ross

lol- dudes would basically roofie each other with halcyons.

Apparently Brock Lesnar showed his peckah to Goldust's wife. Maybe Norton bumping Norm for Lesnar us forgivable after all.

[

Last edited:

IanHalperin

Hosting Brunch at a Night Club.
I watched it and I'm convinced that the Khans payed off the producers. They basically took a dump on every WWE guy and made Goldust (who according to everyone who told this story before, was the biggest fuck up on that plane and kept telling the waitress that he's gonna fuck her) be the hero and we should feel bad for him because he was going through a divorce.

Riccardo Bosi

welcomes our new overlords
I watched it and I'm convinced that the Khans payed off the producers. They basically took a dump on every WWE guy and made Goldust (who according to everyone who told this story before, was the biggest fuck up on that plane and kept telling the waitress that he's gonna fuck her) be the hero and we should feel bad for him because he was going through a divorce.
As soon as I heard Jericho narrating in the beginning, I knew it was going to be biased as fuck. Surprise surprise, Jericho and Goldust are now working for WWE's competition, AEW.

Dustin Rhodes and Chris Candido are the biggest cucks in wrestling.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Donal Logue!
As soon as I heard Jericho narrating in the beginning, I knew it was going to be biased as fuck. Surprise surprise, Jericho and Goldust are now working for WWE's competition, AEW.

Dustin Rhodes and Chris Candido are the biggest cucks in wrestling.

Like you both, but regardless of Jericho (fat drunk) and Runnels (reformed fat drunk), it's actually not that biased.

The story of the Plane Ride has circulated openly for a long time, and most of what was said on the air is consistent with what's been discussed in shoots and interviews.

The reason the WWE looks bad is because, well, they deserve to. I've never had people pull shit like this on a tour bus, let alone a plane. There's a reason why things changed after that happened, the key one that no one brings up is this: flights like this happened before, and never got out. This one did, and during the era they were a publicly traded company. The fallout was probably worse than most of us know, because despite what some people say... Vince was on that plane.

I'm not pro-either Fed. Wrestling is godawful but the industry is fascinating. I'll call bullshit when I see it though, but I didn't quite see that here. They were calling it like it is.

God damn, Jericho is fat.

Last edited:

Riccardo Bosi

Like you both, but regardless of Jericho (fat drunk) and Runnels (reformed fat drunk), it's actually not that biased.

The story of the Plane Ride has circulated openly for a long time, and most of what was said on the air is consistent with what's been discussed in shoots and interviews.

The reason the WWE looks bad is because, well, they deserve to. I've never had people pull shit like this on a tour bus, let alone a plane. There's a reason why things changed after that happened, the key one that no one brings up is this: flights like this happened before, and never got out. This one did, and during the era they were a publicly traded company. The fallout was probably worse than most of us know, because despite what some people say... Vince was on that plane.

I watched the entire thing, I've heard stories of it before, and... you're 100% correct. Vince was on the plane, Michael Hayes whipped out his dick and nearly pissed on his wife... they've been publicly traded since October 1999 and this was the one that revealed that they're scumbags.

Jim Ross said Ric Flair got away with it because he's a made man. He was absolutely correct. Ric Flair as a human being is a piece of shit, and he makes lying arse Hulk Hogan look like a saint in comparison. How they discerned that Hennig got fired (and wound up dead a year later), Scott Hall got fired (they knew he had alcohol problems and goaded him into binging, in my opinion) but Dustin DID NOT (JR: "well he was a really nice guy...") is utterly ridiculous.

Then again, they were all drunk with GHB in their system. At least X-Pac was the true winner, taking cocksucker Michael Hayes' ponytail as a trophy.

Still, it's kind of a hit-piece considering WWE is the target rather than wrestling as an industry itself... all of the major fuck ups on that plane had been in WCW and other territories, not just WWE. Hall and Hennig were certified cokeheads, and Ric Flair is an embarrassment as a human being, but hadn't been in WWE for a year at that point.

Vince knows what's up, and seldom were Triple H, Taker, Austin and Rock problems for the company.

I am, however, looking forward to the Chris Kanyon doc. Guy was guy, committed suicide, he claimed he was discriminated in WWF... in WCW he was big and actually offered a lot in the ring. He was over. I wanna see that one, I haven't been into this series before.

IanHalperin

Hosting Brunch at a Night Club.

The only reason I think it's biased is because Goldust was the worst person on that plane, he was grabbing stewardess ass all night and kept telling her he's gonna fuck her. That's way worse than Flair doing the helicopter.
How the fuck do you not mention that in the documentary?

UnPRePared

I watched the entire thing, I've heard stories of it before, and... you're 100% correct. Vince was on the plane, Michael Hayes whipped out his dick and nearly pissed on his wife... they've been publicly traded since October 1999 and this was the one that revealed that they're scumbags.

Jim Ross said Ric Flair got away with it because he's a made man. He was absolutely correct. Ric Flair as a human being is a piece of shit, and he makes lying arse Hulk Hogan look like a saint in comparison. How they discerned that Hennig got fired (and wound up dead a year later), Scott Hall got fired (they knew he had alcohol problems and goaded him into binging, in my opinion) but Dustin DID NOT (JR: "well he was a really nice guy...") is utterly ridiculous.

Then again, they were all drunk with GHB in their system. At least X-Pac was the true winner, taking cocksucker Michael Hayes' ponytail as a trophy.

Still, it's kind of a hit-piece considering WWE is the target rather than wrestling as an industry itself... all of the major fuck ups on that plane had been in WCW and other territories, not just WWE. Hall and Hennig were certified cokeheads, and Ric Flair is an embarrassment as a human being, but hadn't been in WWE for a year at that point.

Vince knows what's up, and seldom were Triple H, Taker, Austin and Rock problems for the company.

I am, however, looking forward to the Chris Kanyon doc. Guy was guy, committed suicide, he claimed he was discriminated in WWF... in WCW he was big and actually offered a lot in the ring. He was over. I wanna see that one, I haven't been into this series before.

Couple of things. Been a while since I've kept up on industry info (it really is fascinating), but here we go:

- Flair IS a legend, but his fucking bum has been out the window for four decades. Multiple wives, multiple bankruptcies (Vince bailed him out once), a PERFECT retirement ruined to go to TNA, and a legacy destroyed because kayfabe is dead. He's amazing, and I'd love to sit down with him for a pint and listen to every word he'd have to say... But I wouldn't believe any of it when it was done.

- Hennig got fucked. I hold to this strongly, as watching his matches later in life, he was a genius on par with Bret Hart. He was safe, and he made everyone look good. His Dad Larry "The Axe" didn't even have the pure talent Curt did, and Curt's son had the potential to even surpass him - except WWE fucked him over as Curtis Axel. There's a reason Macho Man wrote the song "My Perfect Friend" about Hennig.

- Brock is a meathead farm boy. That's a blessing and a curse. A curse because there's nothing to him besides his own desire; the passion isn't there in his work unless he's motivated. But a blessing because he knows it's a business and can fuck over the only guy who never gets fucked over - Vince. I admire Lesnar in a way, but I don't think much of him. Not that he'd care, which I also admire. To control your own destiny is a dream of all men.

- I love Scott Hall. A psychological ring genius. Even at his lowest, his talent was still there. I'm glad he's doing better, and he's the only addict I feel for when he relapses. He's had a very rough life and clearly still holds trauma over killing that man, but unlike most addicts, he is very likeable, and highly intelligent. He always has my support.

- Michael Hayes always has been, and always will be, a callow piece of shit. The Freebirds were a lifetime ago, and he sold his soul to be one of Vince's boys. He echos only what Vince believes, which for a southern territory boy must kill him inside. He deserves his own hell. Has good stories, though.

- I'm very happy Dustin Rhodes turned his life around. With age he's actually gotten better, and is a better athlete in the ring than his own brother and father - and not far off from Dusty in speaking with sincerity (doesn't have the charisma though). But, he shouldn't have been shielded from blame either. He was a mess.

- Jim Ross is, outside of Gordon Solie and my personal campy favorite Tony Schiavonne, the best announcer I've ever heard. He's also a two faced twat with his own drinking problems. He talks out of both sides of his mouth (that's not a Bells Palsy joke), and clearly he's sanitizing things as much as he can. Remember, this is the guy who failed to renew Jeff Jarrett, allowing Double J to hold Vince hostage at the pay per view where he dropped the IC belt to Chyna - a boon to Jeff because a smoz would've ruined his career. Vince never forgave Ross for that; that was worse than Warrior pulling a power play for more money on the day of the PPV that led to him being fired.

I'm basically saying they're all trash - but interesting trash.

Riccardo Bosi

- Flair IS a legend, but his fucking bum has been out the window for four decades. Multiple wives, multiple bankruptcies (Vince bailed him out once), a PERFECT retirement ruined to go to TNA, and a legacy destroyed because kayfabe is dead. He's amazing, and I'd love to sit down with him for a pint and listen to every word he'd have to say... But I wouldn't believe any of it when it was done.

Agreed. To this day, he's getting kicked out of bars for abusing the staff. Like I said, Hogan's a lot of things, but Flair's a classless piece of shit... People give Kevin Nash shit for being a bum, but if the timeline was off, Nash would be the guy throwing Naitch out the fucking pub with no problem.

- Hennig got fucked. I hold to this strongly, as watching his matches later in life, he was a genius on par with Bret Hart. He was safe, and he made everyone look good. His Dad Larry "The Axe" didn't even have the pure talent Curt did, and Curt's son had the potential to even surpass him - except WWE fucked him over as Curtis Axel. There's a reason Macho Man wrote the song "My Perfect Friend" about Hennig.

His death was a tragedy, he was never a real threat to anyone's safety, and he would've been a better agent than anybody else. If he never jumped ship to WCW he would have been golden in WWE. God forbid he work somewhere where he could make great money.

- Brock is a meathead farm boy. That's a blessing and a curse. A curse because there's nothing to him besides his own desire; the passion isn't there in his work unless he's motivated. But a blessing because he knows it's a business and can fuck over the only guy who never gets fucked over - Vince. I admire Lesnar in a way, but I don't think much of him. Not that he'd care, which I also admire. To control your own destiny is a dream of all men.

He's the man. No question. He has also dictated, should wrestling follow it, what wrestling should look like for the next few years. Anybody who can exploit the business and yet make it look legit is good in my book.

- I love Scott Hall. A psychological ring genius. Even at his lowest, his talent was still there. I'm glad he's doing better, and he's the only addict I feel for when he relapses. He's had a very rough life and clearly still holds trauma over killing that man, but unlike most addicts, he is very likeable, and highly intelligent. He always has my support.

- Michael Hayes always has been, and always will be, a callow piece of shit. The Freebirds were a lifetime ago, and he sold his soul to be one of Vince's boys. He echos only what Vince believes, which for a southern territory boy must kill him inside. He deserves his own hell. Has good stories, though.

- I'm very happy Dustin Rhodes turned his life around. With age he's actually gotten better, and is a better athlete in the ring than his own brother and father - and not far off from Dusty in speaking with sincerity (doesn't have the charisma though). But, he shouldn't have been shielded from blame either. He was a mess.

100% on all of this.

- Jim Ross is, outside of Gordon Solie and my personal campy favorite Tony Schiavonne, the best announcer I've ever heard. He's also a two faced twat with his own drinking problems. He talks out of both sides of his mouth (that's not a Bells Palsy joke), and clearly he's sanitizing things as much as he can. Remember, this is the guy who failed to renew Jeff Jarrett, allowing Double J to hold Vince hostage at the pay per view where he dropped the IC belt to Chyna - a boon to Jeff because a smoz would've ruined his career. Vince never forgave Ross for that; that was worse than Warrior pulling a power play for more money on the day of the PPV that led to him being fired.

I sort of agree, but fuck me, if there was anybody who should have a drinking problem, it's Jim Ross. He's thorough, but polite. I can't relate to being both the dickhead firing somebody and being the elder giving advice to the younger guy.

You say that JR didn't renew Jarrett's contract, but according to JR, he went to Vince like "well what the fuck pal" and Vince kept putting that shit off. This was 1999 and was the peak of the company's business, so I think it was Vince who didn't give a fuck... yet also, when WWF bought out WCW, Vince on-camera stated "and you'll never see JEFF JARRETT AGAIN!"

JR seems like a guy who kept on top of shit. I think Vince resented him eternally for signing Austin, Rock, and Foley. Vince started the WBF.

UnPRePared

Agreed. To this day, he's getting kicked out of bars for abusing the staff. Like I said, Hogan's a lot of things, but Flair's a classless piece of shit... People give Kevin Nash shit for being a bum, but if the timeline was off, Nash would be the guy throwing Naitch out the fucking pub with no problem.

His death was a tragedy, he was never a real threat to anyone's safety, and he would've been a better agent than anybody else. If he never jumped ship to WCW he would have been golden in WWE. God forbid he work somewhere where he could make great money.

He's the man. No question. He has also dictated, should wrestling follow it, what wrestling should look like for the next few years. Anybody who can exploit the business and yet make it look legit is good in my book.

100% on all of this.

I sort of agree, but fuck me, if there was anybody who should have a drinking problem, it's Jim Ross. He's thorough, but polite. I can't relate to being both the dickhead firing somebody and being the elder giving advice to the younger guy.

You say that JR didn't renew Jarrett's contract, but according to JR, he went to Vince like "well what the fuck pal" and Vince kept putting that shit off. This was 1999 and was the peak of the company's business, so I think it was Vince who didn't give a fuck... yet also, when WWF bought out WCW, Vince on-camera stated "and you'll never see JEFF JARRETT AGAIN!"

JR seems like a guy who kept on top of shit. I think Vince resented him eternally for signing Austin, Rock, and Foley. Vince started the WBF.

Bret Hart hated Hogan, but the one thing that can be said about him - besides that, like Lesnar, the business was just a business and not a passion - he was always great to fans. Hart conceded this every time.

I have never, ever, heard a cross story about Hulk with a fan. He's a daft cunt in a locker room but he at least knows who made him. The only one who might be better is Cena, but that man is a work ethic addict. And for The Suicide Squad alone, I will never say a bad word about John.

Nash gets so much shit but he's very smart. I love that guy, good Detroit boy (my American friend/fan is from there). Bit of an exaggerator but he tells it like it is and he made his money. Good for him.

I don't respect many people in that industry - they're carny trash, even the glorified new crew of children playing video games. But Nash, Cornette, and CM Punk are the exceptions. Not great human beings but stick to their views, and have changed them with time and knowledge. Plus they're three of the best living talkers I've ever heard.

Riccardo Bosi

Bret Hart hated Hogan, but the one thing that can be said about him - besides that, like Lesnar, the business was just a business and not a passion - he was always great to fans. Hart conceded this every time.

I have never, ever, heard a cross story about Hulk with a fan. He's a daft cunt in a locker room but he at least knows who made him. The only one who might be better is Cena, but that man is a work ethic addict. And for The Suicide Squad alone, I will never say a bad word about John.

Yep. They can say what they want about guys like Hogan and Cena, but they drew the money and talked to sick kids ad nauseum. I wouldn't give a fuck about "the boys" either after that shit.

Bret called Warrior a coward for refusing to talk to sick kids. Bret never said that shit about Hogan, though.

Nash gets so much shit but he's very smart. I love that guy, good Detroit boy (my American friend/fan is from there). Bit of an exaggerator but he tells it like it is and he made his money. Good for him.

Nash admits he's out for money, but he also spread that wealth throughout his family. He once bought a 2006 Ford ute but he'll spend a good bit of money on French wine... he's a good guy, even Bret said he's a better worker than people give him credit.

I don't respect many people in that industry - they're carny trash, even the glorified new crew of children playing video games. But Nash, Cornette, and CM Punk are the exceptions. Not great human beings but stick to their views, and have changed them with time and knowledge. Plus they're three of the best living talkers I've ever heard.

Cornette's the best we have left, but weirdly I think Russo's right about a lot. The two Eye-Talians: Russo and Disco. If Heyman had a podcast, he'd be the man, but... they're smart enough to give him a job.

Chapel

Dirty Bastard
Cornette's the best we have left, but weirdly I think Russo's right about a lot. The two Eye-Talians: Russo and Disco. If Heyman had a podcast, he'd be the man, but... they're smart enough to give him a job.
Problem with Cornette is he’s still thinks its real. Cornettes idea of a great wrestler is fucking Bob Holly.
He can also have his tongue up Vince’s arse, I listened to him whine about Bret Hart leaving for WCW and conveniently forgetting he left because Vince decided to go back on his deal with him and instead push the Rentboy Shawn Micheals. Cornette expects guys to have loyalty to someone who’ll fuck them over

UnPRePared

Problem with Cornette is he’s still thinks its real. Cornettes idea of a great wrestler is fucking Bob Holly.
He can also have his tongue up Vince’s arse, I listened to him whine about Bret Hart leaving for WCW and conveniently forgetting he left because Vince decided to go back on his deal with him and instead push the Rentboy Shawn Micheals. Cornette expects guys to have loyalty to someone who’ll fuck them over

Cornette is old school, which is why I don't agree with him often. Doesn't mean he's wrong though.

I don't really think he kisses up to Vince. Everyone forgets that Cornette ran a Fed himself - twice, and once as a full on Indy. He sees the business perspective and at times that clashes with his kayfabe mind. He knows promoters can fuck the boys - that's why he made a classic joke about Mick Foley relating to that.

His issue with Bret leaving had nothing to do with Bret as a person - he knew Vince walked back the deal and chastised the deal in the first place. The issue was Vince not taking the belt off of him when he negotiated with WCW, giving him a limited creative control clause in his contract, and being adamant that Shawn had to be the guy to take the belt. That's why Jim told him to just double cross Bret - it's been done in the past and Vince didn't give himself any other choice with his stubbornness working with two fucking divas.

That's still one of the craziest things I've ever seen happen in the industry, but I can say I don't think anyone was clearly right or wrong once the dust settled.

Riccardo Bosi

The problem isn't so simple. Jesse Ventura worked Vince like crazy, and he even still has a lot of respect for him as a businessman and as just a man. For all his faults, Vince has had so many burdens on him... it's insane that he's still running, fake business or not.

Ventura doesn't even blame Vince for the XFL's failure, he blames the NFL for boycotting the advertisers. As extreme as the idea was, it's not like it wouldn't have made good money.

Now, when you look at Bret's deal... initially, Vince gave him the unprecedented 20 year deal. Wasn't written in stone, though. When Bret was given the 2.8 million a year deal by Bischoff, Vince told him "ah fuck it, that's a great deal, take it" Bret was like apprehensive, but was consoled by the fact that "well if you're taking it from someone else, you're not taking it from me!" so he went with it,

Long story short, as bizarre as it sounds... Vince probably intended for Bret to have more money in his pocket than Shawn would have. No, really. Bret was signed to WCW for a crazy amount (2.8 mil) and Shawn was signed to 750k. Shawn was locked in until 2002. That's why Shawn never jumped.

I still cannot 100% believe the Montreal thing WASN'T a work, because it favored Bret so heavily. By that time, Shawn had worn out his welcome with Vince and probably disgusted him on a personal level.

REMINDER: Shawn politicked to beat British Bulldog for the European Title (which meant nothing) in front of Davey Boy's cancer-stricken sister (she ended up dying) in England. Not a count-out, not a DQ... Shawn got the belt, in that match, in England, in front of Davey's sick sister.

Vince let it happen because... well... Bret's leaving and making way more money than you ever will.

My personal theory is, Vince was done with faggot Shawn. By that time, Austin had become the man, and was the golden goose.

Riccardo Bosi

Doublepost, but: Bischoff, to this day, says Bret wasn't a draw.

SPOILER: He was.

Why, then, did Bischoff sign him to nearly 3 mil a year?

UnPRePared

The problem isn't so simple. Jesse Ventura worked Vince like crazy, and he even still has a lot of respect for him as a businessman and as just a man. For all his faults, Vince has had so many burdens on him... it's insane that he's still running, fake business or not.

Ventura doesn't even blame Vince for the XFL's failure, he blames the NFL for boycotting the advertisers. As extreme as the idea was, it's not like it wouldn't have made good money.

Now, when you look at Bret's deal... initially, Vince gave him the unprecedented 20 year deal. Wasn't written in stone, though. When Bret was given the 2.8 million a year deal by Bischoff, Vince told him "ah fuck it, that's a great deal, take it" Bret was like apprehensive, but was consoled by the fact that "well if you're taking it from someone else, you're not taking it from me!" so he went with it,

Long story short, as bizarre as it sounds... Vince probably intended for Bret to have more money in his pocket than Shawn would have. No, really. Bret was signed to WCW for a crazy amount (2.8 mil) and Shawn was signed to 750k. Shawn was locked in until 2002. That's why Shawn never jumped.

I still cannot 100% believe the Montreal thing WASN'T a work, because it favored Bret so heavily. By that time, Shawn had worn out his welcome with Vince and probably disgusted him on a personal level.

REMINDER: Shawn politicked to beat British Bulldog for the European Title (which meant nothing) in front of Davey Boy's cancer-stricken sister (she ended up dying) in England. Not a count-out, not a DQ... Shawn got the belt, in that match, in England, in front of Davey's sick sister.

Vince let it happen because... well... Bret's leaving and making way more money than you ever will.

My personal theory is, Vince was done with faggot Shawn. By that time, Austin had become the man, and was the golden goose.

You're forgetting the best part...

After crying to win that title, he politicked an angle to hand off the title like a piece of trash to HHH, only to start a tournament for a new champion.

Why. The Fuck. Would you destroy any cachet you had for a new title that way?

Vince took way too much shit from that drugged up Ponce Shawn Michaels.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
I saw the Steroid trial will also be an episode this season, should be interesting who they get to talk and shit on Vince. McMahon has done a lot of shitty stuff over the years and protected his “boys” like Michael Hayes (should have been fired years ago) Pat Patterson (ring boy scandal, etc.) and even Shawn Michaels (should have been fired in the 90s for all kinds of shit) while burying talented guys because they worked for other companies (Jerry Lynn, Dusty Rhodes, Sting, etc)

The road stories from the “old days” (pretty much everything before going public and social media) are fascinating. Those older guys lived like rock stars which is why they didn’t live long. Pretty much every old wrestler was a shit head in their day but McMahon you know has done some real bad stuff over the years. Just look at how they covered up for Snuka killing his girlfriend back in the 80s.

On a side note, I wish they would do an episode on Marty Jannetty. That whole being “the other guy” in the Rockers after Shawn got that huge push really fucked him up. They gave him so many second chances only to fuck up and now is a huge mess. His Facebook posts are crazy and sad at the same time, just today he posted how his hotel room is trashed, can’t find his money, and grabbing a beer at 9 in the morning. He’s 61 and will be the next to die.

Last edited:

Chapel

Dirty Bastard
I saw the Steroid trial will also be an episode this season, should be interesting who they get to talk and shit on Vince. McMahon has done a lot of shitty stuff over the years and protected his “boys” like Michael Hayes (should have been fired years ago) Pat Patterson (ring boy scandal, etc.) and even Shawn Michaels (should have been fired in the 90s for all kinds of shit) while burying talented guys because they worked for other companies (Jerry Lynn, Dusty Rhodes, Sting, etc)

The road stories from the “old days” (pretty much everything before going public and social media) are fascinating. Those older guys lived like rock stars which is why they didn’t live long. Pretty much every old wrestler was a shit head in their day but McMahon you know has done some real bad stuff over the years. Just look at how they covered up for Snuka killing his girlfriend back in the 80s.

On a side note, I wish they would do an episode on Marty Jannetty. That whole being “the other guy” in the Rockers after Shawn got that huge push really fucked him up. They gave him so many second chances only to fuck up and now is a huge mess. His Facebook posts are crazy and sad at the same time, just today he posted how his hotel room is trashed, can’t find his money, and grabbing a beer at 9 in the morning. He’s 61 and will be the next to die.
I didn’t think Jannetty would last this long when I saw him passed out backstage in Glasgow ten years ago