When We Wuz Kangs

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
I have a Stiltskin question, without the Levi's ad, do you think you would of been successful?

BTW I love the song Inside.

:fighter_md:
TYFYS

Heh. Boy, this is going to be a loaded answer. But here it goes:

Stiltskin back then was always Peter Lawlor's baby. I will never take that away from him. The Stiltskin I have now is very much my own.

If you don't know the story, it's like a fucked up version of The Monkees: Peter wrote the music and hired the rest of us to be a band for the album and, ultimately, "Inside" for the Levi's advert. I was THIS close to losing my house, so I signed the contract without even thinking and jumped right into a band with no history, no attachment, and to be fair, not much chemistry.

None of us really got along. The success was quick and fleeting, and Peter and I were constantly at each other's throats. That infamous little spat on MTV's Most Wanted was the tip of the fucking iceberg. It continued into the recording of the second album, which we never finished. The band imploded and we moved on. I never thought I'd revisit Stiltskin until I decided I wanted to do some harder Rock again, but with a band, and not under my solo umbrella. It just made sense to go back so I could move forward.

I say all of this to fill in the gaps to my answer: we'd have never caught fire without that ad. The song was everywhere and unavoidable, and you can't buy that kind of free attention. BUT, everything about the band itself was manufactured and hollow, I can admit that, even with my love for "Inside". We weren't made to last, just to sell fucking jeans.

It's a good song with very mixed memories of the time it represented, and I'm glad I've been able to take the name and have it mean more now. I appreciate the question.

Heh. Boy, this is going to be a loaded answer. But here it goes:

Stiltskin back then was always Peter Lawlor's baby. I will never take that away from him. The Stiltskin I have now is very much my own.

If you don't know the story, it's like a fucked up version of The Monkees: Peter wrote the music and hired the rest of us to be a band for the album and, ultimately, "Inside" for the Levi's advert. I was THIS close to losing my house, so I signed the contract without even thinking and jumped right into a band with no history, no attachment, and to be fair, not much chemistry.

None of us really got along. The success was quick and fleeting, and Peter and I were constantly at each other's throats. That infamous little spat on MTV's Most Wanted was the tip of the fucking iceberg. It continued into the recording of the second album, which we never finished. The band imploded and we moved on. I never thought I'd revisit Stiltskin until I decided I wanted to do some harder Rock again, but with a band, and not under my solo umbrella. It just made sense to go back so I could move forward.

I say all of this to fill in the gaps to my answer: we'd have never caught fire without that ad. The song was everywhere and unavoidable, and you can't buy that kind of free attention. BUT, everything about the band itself was manufactured and hollow, I can admit that, even with my love for "Inside". We weren't made to last, just to sell fucking jeans.

It's a good song with very mixed memories of the time it represented, and I'm glad I've been able to take the name and have it mean more now. I appreciate the question.
Thanks for the response. Interesting aspects of the evolution/devolution of Stiltskin.
Was Ray Cokes doing MTV's Most Wanted?

Fuck I was still at school whilst all this was going down.

UnPRePared

Thanks for the response. Interesting aspects of the evolution/devolution of Stiltskin.
Was Ray Cokes doing MTV's Most Wanted?

Fuck I was still at school whilst all this was going down.

I think you may have butchered that a little (FUCKING GRAMMAR POLICE AROUND HERE!).

Are you asking if I did Coke during that appearance? Or if Peter did?

I know, lad, I read it wrong and thought you asked if I was on something during the show. Truth be told, I was a little lit up before we went on.

But yes, it was Ray hosting from what I remember.
Just watched it.

Must admit, that's a pretty decent performance. Loved the Pistol's bit at the end, were you trying to get away with saying "cunt" on live TV?

UnPRePared

Just watched it.

Must admit, that's a pretty decent performance. Loved the Pistol's bit at the end, were you trying to get away with saying "cunt" on live TV?

I wish I could give you a straight answer, but I was on my way to getting tore up when we went out there.

So, maybe? Wasn't even 30 yet and still a bit daft, I wouldn't put it past me back then. I just remember the fight the clearest. Peter and I wanted to kill each other before we went out there, and once he get me in the face, it took everything in me to finish the song and not commit murder on air.

I wish I could give you a straight answer, but I was on my way to getting tore up when we went out there.

So, maybe? Wasn't even 30 yet and still a bit daft, I wouldn't put it past me back then. I just remember the fight the clearest. Peter and I wanted to kill each other before we went out there, and once he get me in the face, it took everything in me to finish the song and not commit murder on air.

The cunt bit was "Pretty Vacunt"

The trousers on the drummer though.........

Are you on talking terms with Peter now?

UnPRePared

The cunt bit was "Pretty Vacunt"

The trousers on the drummer though.........

Are you on talking terms with Peter now?

Oh I knew what you meant, lad, I just don't remember if it was a purposeful slip or not. Might have been a buzzed cock-up of my speech at best.

We're not friends or anything, but I did talk with Peter when I wanted to reform the band. He didn't want anything to do with it, but I had his permission to use the name. Irvin our old keyboardist was the only one who rejoined in the beginning, but he left long ago.

LaylaCumiasMoistHotPocket

A circle of N-words
Now that CP media is 100% failed, what the fuck was he thinking? I guess you can't die with it so might as well blow it but still, I'd have a submarine or a rocketship or something stupid instead of a failed network.
Failed network? I’ll have you know Anthony is the head of an international child sex network. Shipping toddler chinks with impunity.

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Nana could have smoked crack for 10 years 🤷‍♂️🤔
It would've been a more productive use of his time.

Then again, if he fucking hanged himself the moment he got fired, it would've probably, legitimately led to a better outcome compared to the last decade.

You don’t seem to be the type to lie but I honestly have a hard time believing that. My next point was going to be that he absolutely can’t be American which I know you’re not.
I Wanna Be a Rockstar is the only song of theirs I think had any international traction for whatever reason. I never remembered seeing or hearing anything else, besides all.the jokes on the Internet.