• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

What does the O&A timeline look like after 2004 if they don’t go to satellite?

Mr. Faggotry

The world’s expert on faggotry
Forum Clout
IMG_6366.jpeg

wbgreen

May St. Mel bless you
Forum Clout
FM morning talk was mostly dead by 2009. Whatever "FreeFM" job they might have gotten would be gone by the end of the decade.

They could have done like Adam Carolla and gotten onto podcasting early, but for them to thrive, you'd have to expect Ant to act differently over the course of Obama's presidency and also not be as lazy as he was with CP Media.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
Practically all major AM or FM shows went to satellite or to podcasts. And basically no successful satellite shows or podcasts have made the switch to terrestrial as well. It's been a dead format since the early 2000s outside of random sports talk stations in major markets. And even now sports are getting replaced by televised and streamed talk shows.
We pretty much saw it with CBS. They weren't bringing in the ratings like the WNEW days and were dropped by every last affiliate.
Because 90% of their listeners were on XM already. So they had more listeners overall just none of them wanted to listen on FM when they could just listen to the entire show on XM. Also O&A were the top show on all stations they were on just not the top show in the market. It became a huge issue when O&A would have double or triple the listeners of a show like JV and Elvis and CBS would tell O&A that they were not getting enough listeners despite being the biggest show on WXRK.

Why would anyone with XM bother to listen on CBS or Free FM?
FM morning talk was mostly dead by 2009.
It was dead in the early 2000s because of mp3 players and portable music players. Satellite destroyed the rest. And sports radio was almost entirely dead to television as well. It's just not a good format for anything anymore.

THE D

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
Forum Clout
Because 90% of their listeners were on XM already. So they had more listeners overall just none of them wanted to listen on FM when they could just listen to the entire show on XM. Also O&A were the top show on all stations they were on just not the top show in the market. It became a huge issue when O&A would have double or triple the listeners of a show like JV and Elvis and CBS would tell O&A that they were not getting enough listeners despite being the biggest show on WXRK.

The point was not to cater to XM listeners, the point was to broadcast publicly on free airwaves promoting XM.

At the time Opie tried to come up with a way to make both sides happy so it wasn't just XM using the FM stations, he wanted the FM stations to benefit as well but the whole deal was based on cannibalizing FM's business. Both Howard and O&A bashed their own FM stations in the early 2000s for advertising Satellite's superior platform and threatening their own business.

Opie knew that the show would be better opening it up to the public. Those FM stations were putting them on-air while XM robbed them of their consumers.

JebJoh

Forum Clout
Probably dies a lot sooner than it did, they would've done or said something that the increasingly PC world would've cancelled them for and even if they managed to navigate that they probably would've left due to the shitty pay that regular radio started offering a mere few years later.
They were close to dead when nana got fired. Sirius would have just refused to renew their next contract. They were getting the same ad rates as the book channel by then.

Forum Clout
Practically all major AM or FM shows went to satellite or to podcasts. And basically no successful satellite shows or podcasts have made the switch to terrestrial as well. It's been a dead format since the early 2000s outside of random sports talk stations in major markets. And even now sports are getting replaced by televised and streamed talk shows.

It was dead in the early 2000s because of mp3 players and portable music players. Satellite destroyed the rest. And sports radio was almost entirely dead to television as well. It's just not a good format for anything anymore.
Remember in 1999, when WNEW in NYC dumped the "Where Rock Lives" format, and went to an all-talk format anchored by O&A? By 2002, WNEW was dead in the water, then Sex For Sam torpedoed it. What a debacle that was.

LingerLonger

Forum Clout
They were close to dead when nana got fired. Sirius would have just refused to renew their next contract. They were getting the same ad rates as the book channel by then.
They renewed the entire channel after Anthony was fired. Almost no one went to Compound Media with him. They all remained at Sirius. Norton and Sam and lots of others are still there. None of them are making O&A's salary of course. But Opie was still getting millions when he was doing a show with Norton then by himself. Sirius generally overpays for legacy talent or famous names then shafts everyone else.
Remember in 1999, when WNEW in NYC dumped the "Where Rock Lives" format, and went to an all-talk format anchored by O&A? By 2002, WNEW was dead in the water, then Sex For Sam torpedoed it. What a debacle that was.
They were number one pretty much everywhere when Sex for Sam 3 happened. Some of their syndicated markets had them getting the highest ratings for talk shows in history. Them getting fired was when they were at their peak. They were doing so well that CBS paid them $10 million a year to literally not sign with another company because keeping them from a competitor was worth that much.

Forum Clout
They renewed the entire channel after Anthony was fired. Almost no one went to Compound Media with him. They all remained at Sirius. Norton and Sam and lots of others are still there. None of them are making O&A's salary of course. But Opie was still getting millions when he was doing a show with Norton then by himself. Sirius generally overpays for legacy talent or famous names then shafts everyone else.

They were number one pretty much everywhere when Sex for Sam 3 happened. Some of their syndicated markets had them getting the highest ratings for talk shows in history. Them getting fired was when they were at their peak. They were doing so well that CBS paid them $10 million a year to literally not sign with another company because keeping them from a competitor was worth that much.
I do remember Ron and Fez being moderately popular, but the rest of the station minus O&A was a mess. It was a long time ago, though. I do remember how in 2002, Howard was foundering, and ripe for a beating, but they fucked it all up. Trying to out-Howard with the sex stuff was probably not a great idea.

LingerLonger

Forum Clout
I do remember Ron and Fez being moderately popular, but the rest of the station minus O&A was a mess. It was a long time ago, though. I do remember how in 2002, Howard was foundering, and ripe for a beating, but they fucked it all up. Trying to out-Howard with the sex stuff was probably not a great idea.
CBS paid them to sit out the rest of their contract because they didn't want them on another station. Because they were the top show.
The Sirius takeover (merger) hurt the show. The XM years were great and it had crazy and funny bits. The SiriusXM years were like regular radio but they could swear. They wouldn't let them do anything.
XM years also showed that O&A were too hardcore for even satellite. As they were suspended and nearly fired from XM multiple times. And were forbidden from doing stuff like Homeless Shopping Spree or Assault on the Media. The merger forcing the show to be toned down probably saved O&A from being fired for another few years.

BenDovid

Forum Clout

You're wrong so much, I wonder why you keep trying.

I can't tell you how many people I knew who were fans who did NOT have XM and listened on terrestrial.

Buddy, I dunno who you think you are, but O&A were getting housed by Spanish language radio in their time slot. They were hired to dominate the ratings. Not be 3rd in major markets.

LingerLonger

Forum Clout
They were hired to dominate the ratings. Not be 3rd in major markets.
When all of their hardcore listeners were on XM then how could they dominate terrestrial? They were hired because CBS radio and terrestrial were on their death bed. So this was just another desperate move to try to get anything going. O&A got millions in money to do a watered down show in the mornings and took it.

They were only not in first on AM/FM because they were first on XM. Because the O&A audience had either moved to XM or abandoned the show. Splitting the show on two formats was idiotic and failed.

BenDovid

Forum Clout
When all of their hardcore listeners were on XM then how could they dominate terrestrial? They were hired because CBS radio and terrestrial were on their death bed. So this was just another desperate move to try to get anything going. O&A got millions in money to do a watered down show in the mornings and took it.

They were only not in first on AM/FM because they were first on XM. Because the O&A audience had either moved to XM or abandoned the show. Splitting the show on two formats was idiotic and failed.

Stop saying "all their hardcore listeners were on XM". My dad was a hardcore listener. Close friends of mine who were fans. These people started listening again with the CBS deal. It's not like they signed to CBS and immediately failed. They started strong and the people who didn't have XM were tuning in. This led to additional markets and a multi-city comedy tour.

Then the show started to suck. Cat noises and Obama. Your "hardcores" bailed as it simply wasn't the same show they had remembered it being. Markets starting falling off and they lost a huge market, Philly. Once the ratings swapped to PPM, they weren't even breaking the top 10 in morning drive.

I can back up what I say. Can you? Show me any shred of proof you have that CBS failed because millions upon millions of people subbed to XM. It's just weird you make shit up and spit it out as facts. Truly a bizarre trait.

Forum Clout
Stop saying "all their hardcore listeners were on XM". My dad was a hardcore listener. Close friends of mine who were fans. These people started listening again with the CBS deal. It's not like they signed to CBS and immediately failed. They started strong and the people who didn't have XM were tuning in. This led to additional markets and a multi-city comedy tour.

Then the show started to suck. Cat noises and Obama. Your "hardcores" bailed as it simply wasn't the same show they had remembered it being. Markets starting falling off and they lost a huge market, Philly. Once the ratings swapped to PPM, they weren't even breaking the top 10 in morning drive.

I can back up what I say. Can you? Show me any shred of proof you have that CBS failed because millions upon millions of people subbed to XM. It's just weird you make shit up and spit it out as facts. Truly a bizarre trait.
@DannyRoss’sDeadDad comment

DannyRoss’sDeadDad

I’m dead and my son is a faggot. Oy vey!
Forum Clout
I was a hardcore listener but never wanted my Dovid to work for them. This was one of our many fights about his career choices. Dovid was always a stubborn little guy. His bitch mother and I always encouraged to study hard so he could get a real job. Now I’m dead and he’s a bartender.