UnPRePared. Comment?

2B69D79E-0243-44F1-AC9F-1F6BB8863DFF.jpeg

Just now seeing this, fucking Christ, man.

$300 million split three ways, and a chunk I'm sure going to their manager, Tony Smith (fucking pillock). That blows my mind, that kind of money. Not FAWKIN upset here (sniff).

In all seriousness, good for them. They made it for the long haul and they appear to be done this time. It's not the purely artistic move to make, as I would always prefer to own what I make, but business-wise, I can't fault them. Phil is set and covered no matter how much worse his health gets, and his kids are set too. Tony can make all the classical he wants until he keels. And Mike can keep forcing the Mechanics out there for another encore of Silent Running.

But where I will be critical, is that Steve and Peter don't appear to be getting a cent from this. I will go to my grave stating the peak of Genesis was while Steve Hackett was in the band, and the class he added to every track is immeasurable.

And Peter Gabriel goes without saying - he was the heart of the band up until he left. I can admit he sounded far too controlling during The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - I still remember Tony and Mike telling me about the tension during that time, which to their credit, they took a fair amount of blame for - but he was very central to their songwriting and establishing their identity. I just find the exclusions a bit of a pish look, frankly.

And for the comments about how I'm not mentioned in the article - welcome to the last twenty years of my life. No hate towards Phil, Mike, and especially Tony, but I've accepted being treated like a ghost in their history. It's what it is and I've let a lot of it go, as most of it isn't petty or even involving them. My issues stand with their manager, who was such a cunt that they wouldn't even send me the remastered Calling All Stations on Vinyl as a kind gesture, like anyone in the industry would do for an album they worked on.
I'm sorry, who are you?

IMG_20221003_205843.jpg

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
I'm sorry, who are you?

View attachment 68778

I know you're not really Phil, but I'm going to take a moment to pretend you are and speak to him through you:

Phil, I'm sincerely sorry how much your health has deteriorated. You wrote some catchy songs in the 80's, even a few in the 90's, and I enjoyed the work you did during those times with Genesis, songs I was proud to sing with them (Invisible Touch notwithstanding).

But where I truly respect you, aside from your drumming, is how you took the ball and ran with it after Peter left. Mike and Tony always spoke fondly of you, and there were a few times when we were starting that they related stories of your early days to me: how you didn't want the responsibility of the full time lead out of fear of losing the drum seat. How the lads didn't think you could handle the full responsibility. How you watched all these people come in to audition, sing their hearts out, but just not get it. And how you finally grabbed your ballbag and went in to sing "Squonk", showing the boys and yourself you had what it takes. You helped lead them to a new direction when everyone wrote them off just because Peter left. I admire that, and what you accomplished.

Still, though, try and pick some nicer ladies to spend your time with. Those daft cunts you married really beat you up.

SensibleKeks

She actually just cringed at that picture. She wasn't happy with how they all turned out during the shoot, but on that one she says she didn't get final say.

You're not going to hear me criticize her, I look like a fucking caveman in some pictures.
Fair enough. I've been too mean to you today good sir. To make amends, I'll buy one ticket to your next concert! You don't have a "No Singles" policy do you? Asking for a friend...

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Did you ever get any Creek Levi's money, "Ray?"

No, Peter Lawlor got all of that. We were just hired guns for him and nothing more, it's why our first incarnation dissolved before releasing the second album.

How did Ray Wilson start listening to Opie & Anthony

I've said it before, but it was a combination of a world-traveled roadie for Genesis lending me one of his Howard Stern cassettes when he realized I had the sense of humour for it, and the growth of the internet helping me find mp3 files of other American shock jock shows. The American fan, who I've talked with for a long time, has a similar interest in that kind of comedy, so he was good for recommendations, which was how I found Ron and Fez, and this God forsaken place.