The Exorcist (1973)

One of the rare films that is basically perfect. Great characters especially the contrast of the mother and Father Karras (atheist actress turning to the Church for help vs. priest who’s lost his faith). It looks so great almost like a documentary with really good practical effects. A lot of people don’t think it’s scary; I grew up with pretty Catholic so even as an adult, demon possession still gives me the willies. The themes of faith, death and God are up my alley and tubular bells rocks.

I write all this because another sequel comes out this October that looks pretty terrible. It’s by the people that made the new Halloween movies. The Exorcist is the exact type of movie that does not need any follow up (Exorcist III isn’t bad but it’s a completely different movie). I’ll probably see the new one anyway but expectations are non existent. Hopefully there will be just a taste of the old classic

gassers

CakeHorn/Say "Cookie"/BonnieMcFarlaneMe2 Alt
One of the rare films that is basically perfect. Great characters especially the contrast of the mother and Father Karras (atheist actress turning to the Church for help vs. priest who’s lost his faith). It looks so great almost like a documentary with really good practical effects. A lot of people don’t think it’s scary; I grew up with pretty Catholic so even as an adult, demon possession still gives me the willies. The themes of faith, death and God are up my alley and tubular bells rocks.

I write all this because another sequel comes out this October that looks pretty terrible. It’s by the people that made the new Halloween movies. The Exorcist is the exact type of movie that does not need any follow up (Exorcist III isn’t bad but it’s a completely different movie). I’ll probably see the new one anyway but expectations are non existent. Hopefully there will be just a taste of the old classic
I liked Father Karras, Merin, and Pazuzu. Do watch this video if you haven't, great insight into it's making.

G

A certain funster turned me on to this recently. The book touched me deeply. It resonated with me in a way not much literature does. I can’t believe I didn’t give it a chance earlier but maybe I was not mature enough to appreciate it back then.