The best concerts you have been to

Carl Winslow

I'm not a Fed
I've been to a shit ton of shows, best live shows I have seen in person:

The 1st 2 shows in Las Vegas with Slash returning to Gn'R.

Danzig in Orlando, 2016 I think? Fucking bad ass venue and sounded great. He pointed at my Waylon Jennings shirt.

Alice Cooper in 2013 (i think) was cool.

Fleetwood Mac was cool.

Iv'e been to a shit ton , those are the ones that stand out.

i really doubt anyone knows who the Minibosses are, I saw them in 2004 and again in 2018. They do video game covers. They always put on a great show, but a lot of Pat types go and see them.

Harry Powell

Lyndon Evans Superfan
I’ve seen a lot of great Boomer Bands (Stones, McCartney, etc) that sounded excellent but I expected that.

Then I’ve had my scalp blown off by some shows that I never anticipated. A few:

I saw Albert Hammond Jr. two times right after his first solo album. The first time they were opening for Bloc Party and sounded like shit.

The second time they were headlining the Metro and he must have gotten the speedball mixture exactly right because it was fucking incredible. They played the album front to back with so much more energy and enthusiasm, it sounded like The Strokes doing a punk cover of it.

It was so much better than the album it may as well have been a different group. I couldn’t believe it and I’ve tried to find a soundboard recording for years. To this day I don’t even like listening to that CD because it feels like a pale imitation or a cover band.

Another one that really surprised me was seeing Girl Talk on Dec. 31st 2009. Disclaimer, I was on the best ecstasy I ever experienced. Pure bliss, no speediness.

He had built an entire cut-in-half two story house on stage (which no one knew before hand, he unveiled it during the concert) and despite security’s best efforts, by about halfway through the show the crowd was just running wild on the stage and into the house. There were no safety measures at all to keep you from falling, no rails, nothing. And in fact, my friend jumped out of the second story bedroom and exploded his knee towards the end, but didn’t realize it and continued hanging out bc of the drugs.

While his entire sound is laughable in retrospect, that was a genuinely special experience. People were smashed right up next to him and no one fucked with his soundboard or ruined the show. No one fell out of the house requiring the show to be stopped and security/the venue didn’t shut it all down when they lost control, something that still amazes and confounds me.

Harry Powell

Lyndon Evans Superfan
green day

if you can see green day live, do it

i haven't seen them in 20 years, but billie joe gets high as fuck on meth and just rocks out for like 3 hours straight

green day was so good to see live
I’ve seen them like 4x in the last fifteen years. It is no longer like that at all. It’s pure “safe” corporate punk rock, from letting an audience member play guitar to a carefully curated playlist of the hits. It is now a classic rock concert, same as foo fighters. There’s so much money in it there is no danger or sharp edges.

IME this has been the case for Green Day in a live setting since the mid-2000s at least.

It’s still a good show, but it is extremely produced and extremely professional.

not that Jack Horner

If you saw me IRL you very likely wouldn't look me
I’ve seen them like 4x in the last fifteen years. It is no longer like that at all. It’s pure “safe” corporate punk rock, from letting an audience member play guitar to a carefully curated playlist of the hits. It is now a classic rock concert, same as foo fighters. There’s so much money in it there is no danger or sharp edges.

IME this has been the case for Green Day in a live setting since the mid-2000s at least.

It’s still a good show, but it is extremely produced and extremely professional.

do they still let the beaners come out in the goofy costumes to play "king for a day" on trumpets?

thats honestly all i care about

this should be the theme song for this forum

King Diamond/Exodus with King performing the album Abigail in it's entirety.

Queensryche/Armored Saint
Stevie Nicks/The Pretenders
Pat Benatar/Toto
Pentagram/Blood Ceremony/Bang/King's Destroy
Florence and the Machine
I just saw Mercyful Fate a few months ago, and they were fantastic. I saw Metallica on the "Ride The Lightning" tour, when they were at the height of their powers. Ditto Slayer on the "Hell Awaits" tour. I saw Danzig a few years back, and they did a "surprise" Misfits reunion in the middle of the set, which was pretty awesome. Saw SunnO))) in Las Vegas w/ Celtic Frost, which was a great show. Believe it or not, Kiss, on the original reunion tour, that was a great gig too.