The Banshees of Inisherin is exceptional

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
In Bruge was a million times better. The surreal aspects of this movie like the character slicing his fingers off but feeling no pain were too ridiculous. Even the stuff with the midget from In Bruge felt more grounded. Also the dialog felt fecking forced with the same repeated jokes over and over.

I would say this movie is a 5/10 at best. In Bruge is a 10/10 and you could watch it over and over again. Even the deleted scenes are amazing. Not sure I will ever watch this film again.

Harry Powell

You’re the girl I needed in jr. high
The trailer looked miserable and depressing, but then rural Ireland is both of those things. Apparently it's the director's best since In Bruges. Looking forward to seeing it.
Is this what rural Ireland really looks like? I’d move there in 2 seconds to live in one of these primitive houses along the ocean, everything looking pre 20th century

G

Lol I've never been to Ireland except once to Dublin. I based my previous comment pretty much on Father Ted. I do know it rains constantly, like a lot more than England even. Oh and Irish beef is better than Scottish or Argentinian imo. Probably because it rains so much.

Gay Faggot.

A SEDUCTIVE heifer of the SEAS
Lol I've never been to Ireland except once to Dublin. I based my previous comment pretty much on Father Ted. I do know it rains constantly, like a lot more than England even. Oh and Irish beef is better than Scottish or Argentinian imo. Probably because it rains so much.
Interesting. My guess would be the cows are also drunk which loosens up the meat. This is speculation based on pure science which you cannot question.

This also made me want to see an Irish JoeH.

JoshFromMichigan

I miss Norm
I love Father Ted.

Great movie. Tell your girlfriend or wife to watch it if she's been bothering you.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
It's decent...but nowhere near In Bruges. Also the 15 minute standing ovation at that film festival seems a bit far fetched.
You have to be very familiar with Irish history to really 'get' the film. Like the entire ordeal of the main female lead becoming a librarian was an allegory for the massive Irish diaspora throughout Europe and America. She makes the painful decision to leave her roots and family for a huge prosperous opportunity. Yet behind her is suffering and death but she escapes to a new world. The movie is brutal.

But the stuff about the Irish Civil War went way over my head. And I do not want to dig into history books to pick out obscure meanings in an otherwise average film. I would have liked if the movie was less allegorical and more direct like The Godfather where Michael goes from being a US Marine fighting for his country to being in the mafia and essentially an enemy of the state.

G

You have to be very familiar with Irish history to really 'get' the film. Like the entire ordeal of the main female lead becoming a librarian was an allegory for the massive Irish diaspora throughout Europe and America. She makes the painful decision to leave her roots and family for a huge prosperous opportunity. Yet behind her is suffering and death but she escapes to a new world. The movie is brutal.

But the stuff about the Irish Civil War went way over my head. And I do not want to dig into history books to pick out obscure meanings in an otherwise average film. I would have liked if the movie was less allegorical and more direct like The Godfather where Michael goes from being a US Marine fighting for his country to being in the mafia and essentially an enemy of the state.
The allegory re the civil war was pretty straightforward. Basically it was our fault. Ireland was part of Britain. The civil war was between the Irish who wanted independence and those who wanted to remain part of Britain. This would lead to EIRE and Northern Ireland and eventually the troubles within NI. So friends and neighbours who had a blood feud that they couldn't really get over or even articulate. Sound familiar?

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.

If you think familiarity with a specific time and place is necessary to "get" this film, you're a myopic retard.

Last edited:

Harry Powell

You’re the girl I needed in jr. high
If you think familiarity with a specific time and place is necessary to "get" this film, you're a myopic retard.
There is so much to the self sabotage of Colm and his scapegoating of Padraic that the movie was just a psychological drama for me.

Then afterwards I spent a couple hours looking up different interpretations of the civil war which was cool, but you can enjoy it without that background.