South Park Anniversary Concert Primus/Ween

I'm really impressed by the footage I've seen of the show. Looks like it was a great performance and they put a lot of money into the production behind it. It's probably the most impressive thing South Park has been attached to in the past couple years.

Ministry might be the cringiest band that's ever existed.
I missed most of that set, as I was wandering around eating and etc. Anselmo was OK, honestly better than I expected. Ditto Primus, who sound heavier live than on record. And Slayer was late-period Slayer, you know what you're getting there.

I missed most of that set, as I was wandering around eating and etc. Anselmo was OK, honestly better than I expected. Ditto Primus, who sound heavier live than on record. And Slayer was late-period Slayer, you know what you're getting there.
I'm really still shocked Ministry is even still around. I remember in the 2000's they're whole gimmick was being super Anti-Bush and Anti-Iraq war. I haven't listened to any of their stuff in years, but I guess they probably just rebranded a lot of their shtick as Anti-Trump now. Maybe it's because I've always leaned right and disagreed with them, but they always came off as hacks to me.

I'm really still shocked Ministry is even still around. I remember in the 2000's they're whole gimmick was being super Anti-Bush and Anti-Iraq war. I haven't listened to any of their stuff in years, but I guess they probably just rebranded a lot of their shtick as Anti-Trump now. Maybe it's because I've always leaned right and disagreed with them, but they always came off as hacks to me.
Yeah, they're a band that somehow persists even though I've never known anyone who professes to like them. The Scorpions are like that, I mean who's ever said "the Scorpions are my favorite band". Or UFO. I went to see them maybe ten years ago and I was amazed that anyone else was even there. Or when I see that Jackyl is playing somewhere, and I think "Jackyl? Who the fuck is going to see Jackyl?'.

Yeah, they're a band that somehow persists even though I've never known anyone who professes to like them. The Scorpions are like that, I mean who's ever said "the Scorpions are my favorite band". Or UFO. I went to see them maybe ten years ago and I was amazed that anyone else was even there. Or when I see that Jackyl is playing somewhere, and I think "Jackyl? Who the fuck is going to see Jackyl?'.
I don't even know a Scorpions song besides Rock You Like a Hurricane. They might as well be another Foghat to me

G

You know, I only really discovered them last year, as they were never really in my wheelhouse. First I got into a few of their more "popular" tunes, then I started digging through the catalog, and the next thing I know I totally love them and think all their albums are great. I'm all hung up on "The Pod" right now.
They're insanely talented, it's hard to think of bad songs in their catalog. Here are probably my top 3 but I think their first album GodWeenSatan is a must listen all the way through, tons of insane sounds and crazy gems in it.
[MEDIA=youtube]w7M3EEHYkJ0[/MEDIA]
[MEDIA=youtube]vcaPiiFZu2o[/MEDIA]
[MEDIA=youtube]2cKzOF5YsDo[/MEDIA]

They're insanely talented, it's hard to think of bad songs in their catalog. Here are probably my top 3 but I think their first album GodWeenSatan is a must listen all the way through, tons of insane sounds and crazy gems in it.

The first Ween album I listened to all the way through was Quebec, and I was amazed. They kind of rope you into their world, and the next thing you know you're humming some ridiculous tune like "So Many People In The Neighborhood". Even their unreleased outtakes and demos are great.

G

The first Ween album I listened to all the way through was Quebec, and I was amazed. They kind of rope you into their world, and the next thing you know you're humming some ridiculous tune like "So Many People In The Neighborhood". Even their unreleased outtakes and demos are great.
It really is astouding how many weird but objectively great songs they have. Spinal Meningitis is very dark but still humorous and the music supports it either way:
[MEDIA=youtube]bZ9bbXi6Ih8[/MEDIA]

It really is astouding how many weird but objectively great songs they have. Spinal Meningitis is very dark but still humorous and the music supports it either way:

They're ridiculously talented without being pretentious about it. They're hilariously funny without being all gay about it. Their songs are all radically different, yet sort of similar somehow. It's not all studio trickery, as they do live versions of songs that transcend the originals. Dean can play anything and Gene is one of the greatest rock singers of all-time. It's all a huge goof and 100% serious all at the same time.

Like "Tried And True". There's that line, "Oh, can you dig in my soul, could you smell my whole... life?" and he pauses after "whole" like it's "hole" and then drops "life" in there. And it's hilarious and awesome.

Smeckler's Powder

Sweet powder eases the pain

Scorpions best of is worth scooping up. And they're great live. Definitely have lots of "they're my favorite band" type of fans.

One of the best things UFO did and it's from the 90s...don't know if they would have played it when you saw them:

Jackyl does not belong in this same conversation, they are more in Warrant/Kix territory.

Great White/Cinderella and even Ratt are above Jackyl.

Speaking Saigon Kick, their best song also from the 90s:

Last edited:
Scorpions best of is worth scooping up. And they're great live. Definitely have lots of "they're my favorite band" type of fans.

One of the best things UFO did and it's from the 90s...don't know if they would have played it when you saw them:

Jackyl does not belong in this same conversation, they are more in Warrant/Kix territory.

Great White/Cinderella and even Ratt are above Jackyl.

Speaking Saigon Kick, they're best song also from the 90s:

Scorpions might be a bad example, true. They've had such a weird career. They started out as a sort of heavy prog band, then went straight metal, then became a sort of pop-rock band. I do like some of the Uli stuff and some of the Schenker stuff too.

UFO was actually really good, it was all more or less original members except for the guitar player. Phil Mogg was really, really drunk, but he nailed every tune. It was sort of snowing and there were maybe fifty people there, but they weren't bad at all. Mostly the classic era "Strangers In The Night" era stuff.

Smeckler's Powder

UFO was actually really good, it was all more or less original members except for the guitar player. Phil Mogg was really, really drunk, but he nailed every tune. It was sort of snowing and there were maybe fifty people there, but they weren't bad at all. Mostly the classic era "Strangers In The Night" era stuff.
that sounds dope. Always wanted to see them

Lamont & Tonelli

Brevity is... wit.
I love the Scorps, but I'd be lying if I said they were my favorite band. Klaus Meine might be my favorite butt-hair singer, though.
Is every music crit thread liable to turn into a Ween thread? This is not a complaint.

Smeckler's Powder

I love the Scorps, but I'd be lying if I said they were my favorite band. Klaus Meine might be my favorite butt-hair singer, though.
Is every music crit thread liable to turn into a Ween thread? This is not a complaint.

I always thought butt-rock to be more Bon Jovi/Poison. Also, they didn't really have a regular "hair band" sort of look either, although Klaus had some dope hairs. These dudes are German and were more loquacious than 90% of English speaking rock bands.

Lamont & Tonelli

Brevity is... wit.
I always thought butt-rock to be more Bon Jovi/Poison. Also, they didn't really have a regular "hair band" sort of look either, although Klaus had some dope hairs. These dudes are German and were more loquacious than 90% of English speaking rock bands.
That's fair and I don't disagree, but I also don't subdivide 80s hard rock/heavy metal that much. I call it all butt-hair for simplicity and because the term amuses me.