Sci-Fi author here...

Arthur got the idea from a Russian born in the 19th century. As far as I know Clake never claimed to have come up with the concept himself. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantin_Tsiolkovsky

The idea has always fascinated me. A structure that's foundation is in a solid fixed orbit and connects to the planet. The massive amounts of energy needed to launch rockets out of our atmosphere would be reduced to a fraction.

The SFWA and their army of hack writers insist that sci-fi is solely a reflection of modern times. Moral fables about our own society hung on the backdrop 'In spaaace'. It can be, sure. But that's not what ALL sci-fi is. Or at least was....because let's face it, it is now.

Patrick is an obese primate.
I should have said 'popularized', probably.

It's a great idea and NASA should just hire Pat to oversee the construction of one because, after all, he's an expert.

Slackjawed Cow

I laugh at them because they're all the same.
The idea of a space elevator was first used in fiction writing by Arthur C. Clarke, a great author but Hugo award winning PEDOPHILE, in his book "The Fountains of Paradise". The drawing that Pat is replying to is exactly how the elevator is described in the book. The only difference is the elevator in the book was placed on top of a mountain in an island nation near the equator, not the flat landscape of Florida.
For some reason Pat thinks he is an authority on the topic of a space elevator. He probably read someone elses take and just repeats it like its his original thought.

1713537191549.png

1713537319212.png
1713537331529.png

Turn the clock back far enough and you see that he had to ask twitter for the answer. Pat is a phony LARPing "intellectual"
1713537446964.png

1713537379686.png

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer