On a scale from 1 to Nikki Cox’s face how fake was the OnA feud with The Rock?

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
I was listening on the Honeycomb channel and they were using their hokey radio voices they had during WNEW. Basically they trashed him after he left, he allegedly got mad, Opie convinced him Rock was outside the studio door, they wanted fans to bring signs to the Garden WWE show, and then he was coming in next week. Then I stopped listening. They both stink at acting. Looked it up and there’s not only a 4 but also an 8 hour compilation.

DMAN

NYC Mayor
"Hey guys, my name is BonnieMcFarlaneMe2... I wasn't even around when this bit happened, and I refuse to listen to it, but I'm still going to post factually inaccurate information about what I THINK happened in the clip I didn't even listen to."

There was nothing fake about it. O&A had Vince McMahon's feet to the fire when they boycott the WWF after being mistreated over the WWF New York grand opening mishap (which was related to their bad blood with The Rock.)

O&A had The Rock and Vince McMahon calling them to beg and grovel for their forgiveness. That was the power they had on WNEW. It's a shame that Satellite Boys like you never experienced O&A in its more pure and powerful form.

ShutYourCakeHorn

Gassers/Say "Cookie" Alt
"Hey guys, my name is BonnieMcFarlaneMe2... I wasn't even around when this bit happened, and I refuse to listen to it, but I'm still going to post factually inaccurate information about what I THINK happened in the clip I didn't even listen to."

There was nothing fake about it. O&A had Vince McMahon's feet to the fire when they boycott the WWF after being mistreated over the WWF New York grand opening mishap (which was related to their bad blood with The Rock.)

O&A had The Rock and Vince McMahon calling them to beg and grovel for their forgiveness. That was the power they had on WNEW. It's a shame that Satellite Boys like you never experienced O&A in its more pure and powerful form.
meter-autism.gif

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️

I don’t know so that’s why I was asking.

DMAN

NYC Mayor
I don’t know so that’s why I was asking.

O&A never played along with the WWF's storylines, they also rooned Jericho's fozzy bit live on the show. O&A had been promoting WWF for a year or 2 straight, and were invited to the grand opening of the WWF New York night club.

O&A waited in line with their girlfriends in the freezing cold, only to be turned away at the door, in humiliating fashion. After this slight, they announced a boycott of the WWF.

Vince went into damage control and sent The Rock to the studio to patch things up. O&A waited until he got there, made him call the studio from the lobby, and basically told him to kick rocks and he wasn't welcomed here. That's what WE do now.

Then Vince himself called up the show and grovelled. Vince knew O&A were good boys and he needed them in the NYC area. They were great allies for him despite always screwing with his kayfabe.

After his part of the incident, Sick Boy disappeared from the show forever when he and O&A both tried to throw each other under the bus to avoid The Rock Bottom and People's Elbow combination over a supposedly racist website.

The only part of this that could be considered "fake" is maybe the WWF were looking for petty revenge on O&A and sought out 'racist' content they could tell The Rock about so he would sperg on them. It didn't really work, he just walked out quietly like a Kapernick faggot. O&A were not in on that bit, if it was a bit. Their voices sounded hacky because they were still in hack mode. This was a few mere months after WNEW flipped to the all-talk format, first time in their careers they had to be responsible for air time without music filler.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
O&A never played along with the WWF's storylines, they also rooned Jericho's fozzy bit live on the show. O&A had been promoting WWF for a year or 2 straight, and were invited to the grand opening of the WWF New York night club.

O&A waited in line with their girlfriends in the freezing cold, only to be turned away at the door, in humiliating fashion. After this slight, they announced a boycott of the WWF.

Vince went into damage control and sent The Rock to the studio to patch things up. O&A waited until he got there, made him call the studio from the lobby, and basically told him to kick rocks and he wasn't welcomed here. That's what WE do now.

Then Vince himself called up the show and grovelled. Vince knew O&A were good boys and he needed them in the NYC area. They were great allies for him despite always screwing with his kayfabe.

After his part of the incident, Sick Boy disappeared from the show forever when he and O&A both tried to throw each other under the bus to avoid The Rock Bottom and People's Elbow combination over a supposedly racist website.

The only part of this that could be considered "fake" is maybe the WWF were looking for petty revenge on O&A and sought out 'racist' content they could tell The Rock about so he would sperg on them. It didn't really work, he just walked out quietly like a Kapernick faggot. O&A were not in on that bit, if it was a bit. Their voices sounded hacky because they were still in hack mode. This was a few mere months after WNEW flipped to the all-talk format, first time in their careers they had to be responsible for air time without music filler.
As always, I appreciate the history lesson. Thanks for letting me know what actually happened. It sounded like it was a bit so I wasn’t sure. Edit: I also remember some WWE star confronting sick boy about racist posts on his wrestling website.

DMAN

NYC Mayor
I don’t know how anyone listens to the pre satellite shows. It’s fucking horrible. 26 people in studio, including Anthony, laughing wildly at every word Opie says.

There were almost always only O&A in studio, maybe 1 producer. Great tipoff you've barely even tried to listen to any of it (hence, your terrible opinion.)

As always, I appreciate the history lesson. Thanks for letting me know what actually happened. It sounded like it was a bit so I wasn’t sure. Edit: I also remember some WWE star confronting sick boy about racist posts on his wrestling website.

The one and only time I recall Sick Boy's being called out for his website racism was The Rock doing it. Unless it was Mark Henry or something off the show, the Sick Boy thing was what I assumed you were alluding to in the OP post. Sick Boy never returned again after this (save for.1 phoner on satellite to reminisce)

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
O&A were managed by a company that was well connected to the WWF. Hence Vince McMahon constantly sending them wrestlers for interviews. Hiring them for the XFL. And half of their interns and producers literally just being there for the WWF connections like Erock and Sam. During the peak of O&A they were probably one the biggest promotional vehicles to sell WWF tickets in the entire US if not the biggest. You still see people at wrestling events holding up O&A related signs to this day. There was a huge crossover between O&A fans and wrestling fans for whatever reason.

The problem was that neither Opie nor Anthony ever watched wrestling. And they would goof on the wrestlers and Vince nonstop over literally anything. Sometimes it would turn into things like The Rock leaving the show over racism. Or Vince listening to Anthony's 'Angry Vince' impression so much that he ended up morphing into the impression. Or Mick Foley announcing loudly on air that Jill Nicolini was serious about dating Anthony. Or stuff like JBL promoting his fag drink. Or that one guy crying over Norton doing the 'third annual blink off' joke.

But other times they would joke about stuff like Owen Hart falling to his death or Chris Benoit offing his family (allegedly) and some wrestlers were basically afraid to do the show. Or things like the Wrestler Death Clock. A lot of wrestlers didn't like the dark humor of the show and were intimidated by how insane being on O&A was. Vince clearly secretly thought that O&A was hilarious and had to have been a daily listener. I would bet that Vince listened to O&A and that a huge amount of the top wrestlers on the roster listened often.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
O&A were managed by a company that was well connected to the WWF. Hence Vince McMahon constantly sending them wrestlers for interviews. Hiring them for the XFL. And half of their interns and producers literally just being there for the WWF connections like Erock and Sam. During the peak of O&A they were probably one the biggest promotional vehicles to sell WWF tickets in the entire US if not the biggest. You still see people at wrestling events holding up O&A related signs to this day. There was a huge crossover between O&A fans and wrestling fans for whatever reason.

The problem was that neither Opie nor Anthony ever watched wrestling. And they would goof on the wrestlers and Vince nonstop over literally anything. Sometimes it would turn into things like The Rock leaving the show over racism. Or Vince listening to Anthony's 'Angry Vince' impression so much that he ended up morphing into the impression. Or Mick Foley announcing loudly on air that Jill Nicolini was serious about dating Anthony. Or stuff like JBL promoting his fag drink. Or that one guy crying over Norton doing the 'third annual blink off' joke.

But other times they would joke about stuff like Owen Hart falling to his death or Chris Benoit offing his family (allegedly) and some wrestlers were basically afraid to do the show. Or things like the Wrestler Death Clock. A lot of wrestlers didn't like the dark humor of the show and were intimidated by how insane being on O&A was. Vince clearly secretly thought that O&A was hilarious and had to have been a daily listener. I would bet that Vince listened to O&A and that a huge amount of the top wrestlers on the roster listened often.
I think the “third annual blink off” joke offended Chris Jericho. And “that purple fag drink” haha. Opie replaying that clip for JBL like 5 times was hilarious.

DMAN

NYC Mayor
Vince clearly secretly thought that O&A was hilarious and had to have been a daily listener. I would bet that Vince listened to O&A and that a huge amount of the top wrestlers on the roster listened often.

Michael Cole, who Vince basically 'speaks through' every week for over 20 years, was a huge O&A pest. He used to drop O&A references into the wwe.com when he was managing it, and I think he did it on Howard Stern's channel when he and Taz did a show for a week or 2.

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
I don’t know how anyone listens to the pre satellite shows. It’s fucking horrible. 26 people in studio, including Anthony, laughing wildly at every word Opie says.
I got bored one day and decided to listen to the very first NEW shows from 1998. There's a bevvy of hackiness, cringe and fake bits, but quite a lot of the banter and gags still hold up surprisingly well. There's definitely a kernel of the self-aware, self-deprecating peak satellite period.

It does a lot to explain how O&A became such a success so quickly when 10 years later you still had hacks like Mancow and Todd Pettengill doing even more embarrassing stuff.