Nana hates David Lynch

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
Sorry to sound pretentious. Spent way too much time on AICN, Dark Horizons and CHUD back in the day. But, you all get the point...
But you’re not wrong. The Sopranos is a perfect example of shit they miss because they’re retarded. It’s not some commentary on capitalism and American and fathers and living in the 21st century or some shit. It’s about how Tony Soprano is a badass and his kids suck and Paulie Walnuts is so funny!

Single Action Army

We ain't goon hooligans we Maloonigans
I think for the most part Lynch is very talented and have enjoyed some of his work, but he is the absolute definition of "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks."

I guess thats commendable artistry in and of itself, but for every Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks, there's 8 hours of college film student arthouse nonsense. If people find meaning in his work it was probably unintentional.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Donal Logue!
I think for the most part Lynch is very talented and have enjoyed some of his work, but he is the absolute definition of "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks."

I guess thats commendable artistry in and of itself, but for every Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks, there's 8 hours of college film student arthouse nonsense. If people find meaning in his work it was probably unintentional.

I don't think you're wrong, but that's what makes him interesting: risk.

It's why I like Zack Snyder. Sure, the movies of his can narratively be a mess, but his visuals are usually captivating.

Spielberg? Honestly I find him pretty overrated. He holds up narratively incredibly well, but I don't find the visuals to be as interesting. There's exceptions, but I've never seen the appeal of why he's considered "the best". If it has to do with consistency of good films, I could make a similar debate over people like Michael Curtiz or Robert Altman.