Movies that were huge at the time but nobody ever talks about now

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!
The marketing for Blair Witch (‘99) was boss though It really took advantage of the times in how it both encapsulated people’s fear and simultaneous curiosity about the internet.

I remember taking computer classes freshman year in high school with those big Toshiba style machines that were basically typing machines/calculators.

tl;dr I definitely gotta go in for the kill on that liquor store broad with the tattoos. I’ve been ignoring that place for two straight weeks while buying from the Chinaman down the block and she immediately perked up when I walked in so I guess I’m in like Flynn? Only one way to find out

That movie scared the shit out of me when I first saw it. I watched it on VHS in a house that was near the woods in the middle of nowhere. Plus being young and dumb I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't just a movie.

JesseTheGovernor

Access to the Debates
Independence Day. That shit was ubiquitous. Everyone thought it was going to be amazing before it came out. Some still tried to say it was amazing even after seeing it, despite it being arguably the fucking worst big budget movie ever made. Every actor in it gives a terrible performance. It’s offensively bad. Roland Emmerich is the worst well-known director of all time. It’s almost unbelievable how shitty his films are.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Blair Witch probably had the best marketing for any movie of all time. Sure the movie does not really hold up as a story. But as pure film making goes pretty much everyone should watch it at least once.

G

Blockbuster movie marketing sure was HYUGE back in the late 90s/early 2000s...

Those Scream movies, Bridget Jones Diary, Legally Blonde...all fluffy shit but was marketed BIGLY. it was hard to fail back then. TBH only Gladiator holds up.

Zombie247

Go work. Get Sandwiches
images.jpeg.jpg

G

That movie scared the shit out of me when I first saw it. I watched it on VHS in a house that was near the woods in the middle of nowhere. Plus being young and dumb I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't just a movie.
I remember the DVD case and it reminded me of those old VHS cases with the weird ass scenes that always used to make it on the back of the packaging. By the time I watched it I’d moved out of the city but not quite out into the sticks.

Still bugged me out especially since it kept skipping in parts. But that’s probably because I’m a untechnical half boomer who still masturbates to magazines.

tl;dr once I saw a blimp!

Uncle Floyd

"But now you're getting sued kinda stupid"
Every Jim Carrey movie. The Mask, Man on the Moon, Cable Guy, Ace Ventura, Yes Man, Liar Liar, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.