LOL

The Talking Dead

I'm close to death! Hahahaha hooooooly shit!!
Artie-Lange-Highlights-Rough-Cut.00_01_10_24.Still0011.jpg

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
I was a huge Artie fan when he was on Stern, but I can't stand him now. Wheeze laugh at your own inane comments some more you fucking flat nosed hack.
Listening to the Beer League saga is fascinating now. He basically destroyed his entire life over that film. Ruined all of his professional and personal relationships. And became hooked on both cocaine and heroin because of the film's production. And the film ended up being a massive box office bomb. High school plays have made more money.

Artie never really recovered from that.

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
Listening to the Beer League saga is fascinating now. He basically destroyed his entire life over that film. Ruined all of his professional and personal relationships. And became hooked on both cocaine and heroin because of the film's production. And the film ended up being a massive box office bomb. High school plays have made more money.

Heard a lot about this first time reading about it. He spent 2 million dollars making this and it only showed in select theaters across 3 states? Is he a fucking idiot? The fact that it was able to pull 400k, even with his Stern tenure, is insane. Did he know you can put movies straight to DVD? Or not put 2 million dollars into a passion project? Where the hell did that money go when the cast is just his friends and 0 actual actors?

DeadWithoutMyDavid

xe/xim/xey

It wasn't even that bad, it was just unremarkable

'THE NIGGER MAN'

Shane Noakes' rabbi raped his 9 year old dick off.
Heard a lot about this first time reading about it. He spent 2 million dollars making this and it only showed in select theaters across 3 states? Is he a fucking idiot? The fact that it was able to pull 400k, even with his Stern tenure, is insane. Did he know you can put movies straight to DVD? Or not put 2 million dollars into a passion project? Where the hell did that money go when the cast is just his friends and 0 actual actors?
Cumia-level market savvy.

Billboard budget was too high, much like Artie himself.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Heard a lot about this first time reading about it. He spent 2 million dollars making this and it only showed in select theaters across 3 states? Is he a fucking idiot?
He got the money from a production company so it wasn't his own. But when he pitched the movie the pitch was not "baseball meets wacky comedy" it was more "yeah I'll plug the absolute shit out of the movie on Stern for a year straight". Stern Stern Stern was the actual reason for the meeting and deal. Some producers put up the money thinking that Howard would cameo in the film and help promote. Artie swindled them and conned them like a typical junkie.

When Artie started filming the movie it was obvious he was on heroin to everyone. The actors and actresses were either afraid of him or disgusted by him being a junkie. The production company told Artie that his deal would be to get a small distribution in the Northeast in a few theaters. If the movie made like $5million they would then grant him an automatic national release and some international showings as well. Instead it made $450K or whatever. And the movie didn't get a national release deal and just died. Howard never brought it up and wouldn't really take negative callers against it. But years later one of the roasts (Gary Roast?) basically became "The Beer League Roast" because every other joke was about Beer League.

Artie's claim is that he didn't use heroin until after Beer League and it was just coke. But lots of fans think he was on heroin during the first year of his contract with Stern before Beer League. At some point on the show Artie asked Howard for entire month, four straight weeks off from work to finish Beer League, but Howard told him "no chance". Everyone believes that Artie really needed four weeks off for rehab because the producers demanded it and Howard knew it as well. Artie just lied and lied. Howard was deathly afraid of what firing Artie would do to his audience. Just like Artie never recovered from Beer League. Howard hasn't really recovered from the Artie heroin period either.
The fact that it was able to pull 400k, even with his Stern tenure, is insane. Did he know you can put movies straight to DVD? Or not put 2 million dollars into a passion project? Where the hell did that money go when the cast is just his friends and 0 actual actors?
The majority of the cast were established actors and actresses. A few have some major awards for acting in movies or plays. Only a handful of parts were played by Artie's comedian friends. Like none of the people from Sopranos were there out of charity. Two episodes of something like Mad Men or Downton Abbey will probably run you a few million and they reuse all of the costumes and sets. So Beer League's budget is not that outrageous.
It wasn't even that bad, it was just unremarkable
Maybe you were a Stern or Artie fan and have some bias. But Beer League is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever made. I remember everyone ripping on it back when it was released (if you could even find it). When Sal and others began attacking Beer League is was a massive catharsis across the entire Stern universe.

DeadWithoutMyDavid

xe/xim/xey
Maybe you were a Stern or Artie fan and have some bias. But Beer League is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever made. I remember everyone ripping on it back when it was released (if you could even find it). When Sal and others began attacking Beer League is was a massive catharsis across the entire Stern universe.
I'm not really a super fan but I remember catching it on Comedy Central. It was fine. It wasn't worse than any Sandler comedy of that time. I just didn't care about it either way.

The majority of the cast were established actors and actresses. A few have some major awards for acting in movies or plays. Only a handful of parts were played by Artie's comedian friends.

Most of the actors/actresses were in it because Frank Sebastiano was the director and co-wrote it. (E.g. Jimmy Palumbo, Joe Lo Truglio, Jerry Minor, Laurie Metcalf & Tina Fey's cameo). These were all his friends & co-writers who had worked with him at SNL/David Letterman & various other shows. You had comedians like Florentine & Dipaolo, but most of the cast was there because of Frank.

Tina Fey was hilarious on Stern when she talked about the production. She agreed to do a cameo as a favor to Frank & found that Frank was in waaaaaaay over his head. Artie kept "disappearing" & missing production meetings & generally being hard to get a hold of. Then Artie would lie on the air about missing work because "we were shooting until 2 AM" & pissed a lot of people off lol.

The fact that Beer League was budgeted at 2 million only and they managed to get Artie plus a relatively known cast of actors is pretty crazy to me, if it took him 6 months to film this movie you'd expect Artie would have ate up at least half of that 2 million dollar budget or it might not even be worth it for him.

Only making 400k is pretty wild also especially with heavy backing from the show.

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
Tina Fey was hilarious on Stern when she talked about the production. She agreed to do a cameo as a favor to Frank & found that Frank was in waaaaaaay over his head. Artie kept "disappearing" & missing production meetings & generally being hard to get a hold of. Then Artie would lie on the air about missing work because "we were shooting until 2 AM" & pissed a lot of people off lol.
This pisses me off and i’m just reading it. Even Artie nodding off on air was fine because it could be spun into funny shit (until it got too tiring). Movie sets are extremely hectic, even low budget ones like this. It’s a rarity when you see sets where all the actors are having fun. They’re in a crunch for time because the lighting has to be correct for a shot. And you hope to god to get it in that day because it may rain for the next week and delay the entire production. And when you delay shit you make it cost more. The last thing anyone wants is one of the actors, no less the main character, being an incompetent retard and fucking up the entire production to get high.

The Talking Dead

I'm close to death! Hahahaha hooooooly shit!!
When Sal and others began attacking Beer League is was a massive catharsis across the entire Stern universe.

Artie legit looked like he was gonna cry when Sal went on his Beer League rant. Pretty sure that time he threw a CD case at Sal was because he said something snarky about the movie too.

That movie flopping was such a sore point for the fat junkie.

The stag party bar scene is a hoot tho'

Peckas

Helping those 8 to 80
At least Artie has an excuse though considering he’s a junkie retard. Ant is just Italian
Ant is constantly bud light buzzed going on 40 years I want see an MRI of that brain it’s more shriveled than a raisin and with his moms dementia genes kicking in things could get vurry interesting for old nana

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
He got the money from a production company so it wasn't his own. But when he pitched the movie the pitch was not "baseball meets wacky comedy" it was more "yeah I'll plug the absolute shit out of the movie on Stern for a year straight". Stern Stern Stern was the actual reason for the meeting and deal. Some producers put up the money thinking that Howard would cameo in the film and help promote. Artie swindled them and conned them like a typical junkie.

When Artie started filming the movie it was obvious he was on heroin to everyone. The actors and actresses were either afraid of him or disgusted by him being a junkie. The production company told Artie that his deal would be to get a small distribution in the Northeast in a few theaters. If the movie made like $5million they would then grant him an automatic national release and some international showings as well. Instead it made $450K or whatever. And the movie didn't get a national release deal and just died. Howard never brought it up and wouldn't really take negative callers against it. But years later one of the roasts (Gary Roast?) basically became "The Beer League Roast" because every other joke was about Beer League.

Artie's claim is that he didn't use heroin until after Beer League and it was just coke. But lots of fans think he was on heroin during the first year of his contract with Stern before Beer League. At some point on the show Artie asked Howard for entire month, four straight weeks off from work to finish Beer League, but Howard told him "no chance". Everyone believes that Artie really needed four weeks off for rehab because the producers demanded it and Howard knew it as well. Artie just lied and lied. Howard was deathly afraid of what firing Artie would do to his audience. Just like Artie never recovered from Beer League. Howard hasn't really recovered from the Artie heroin period either.

The majority of the cast were established actors and actresses. A few have some major awards for acting in movies or plays. Only a handful of parts were played by Artie's comedian friends. Like none of the people from Sopranos were there out of charity. Two episodes of something like Mad Men or Downton Abbey will probably run you a few million and they reuse all of the costumes and sets. So Beer League's budget is not that outrageous.

“YOU SUCKED ON MADTV, BEER LEAGUE SUCKED SHIT!” I think Beer League is hilarious and it’s one of my favorite movies but yeah it did flop financially. “Let’s get this guy, he’s an asshole, he’s a jerk off, he’s a total piece of shit.” “Shut up, fatso.” “Hey, watch it with the name calling.”