Kevin Smith Hate Thread

DMAN

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
jayandsilentbobstrikeback02.jpg

Here's some exclusive Kevin Smith heat. On the 2002 DVD commentary for Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back... Kevin revealed the whole truth about his wife "Jen" demanding to play one of the HOT YOUNG girls, a role in which she infamously sticks out like a sore thumb. He didn't want to do it, but she forced him to. He probably only told this story because he rightly assumed she would never hear the DVD commentary track.
Here is the pathetic clip:

a7332fb766a32903ea7dca6888279b49.jpg

===

Howard Stern publicly trashed Kevin Smith's clown rape movie VULGAR and Kevin thanks him fr the abuse.
Howard watched the movie and threw the tape in the garbage, basically called Kevin a weirdo.
Kevin called in near tears, and this was back before he was even a cryer.
Howard wrapped it up by plugging the screening and telling people it sucked and not to go see it.

Director Kevin Smith Calls In. 4/26/02. 8:45am
Howard's first question for Kevin was ''Why?'' He doesn't know why Kevin would put money into something like Vulgar The Clown. Kevin said he put about $80,000 into it.
Howard talked about watching the movie and how three hillbillies rape the clown about 20 minutes in. Howard said that was as far as he made it into the movie. After that he threw the movie out. The guys in the studio said they thought that it sounds pretty funny but Howard said he's not recommending it. It's playing at The Regent Theater in Los Angeles and the Angelika Film Center in New York City. Howard said if you go to see it you'll just be mad you saw it.
Howard continued his discussion about ''Vulgar'' and how he really didn't like it. Artie told him that the more he hears Howard talking about it the more he wants to see it. Howard warned everyone that they're going to be disappointed if they go to see it.

===

And yet Kevin came back 6 months later....

When Kevin made his J-Lo/Affleck bomb of a movie, he scripted in a cringeworthy Howard Stern mention, a shoehorned offering to get attention.
The weepy old jersey basset hound called up Howie to redeem his goodboy points for mentioning him in the movie... and Howard all but called him pathetic.

Director Kevin Smith Calls In. 12/19/02. 7:30am
Howard said he hasn't had Kevin on much lately because he doesn't think people care about Kevin. Howard said people probably don't even know his movies. Howard said what got his attention was the fact that Kevin told them that he has tape of Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez talking about Howard.

Kevin then publicly cried about how Howard treated him... Just like he did with Bruce Willis, just like he did with Prince, and Joel Schumacher, and Harvey Weinstein, and everybody else Kevin works with. It's always their fault. What happened to Kevin's self-flagellating martyrdom loyalty to O&A? Did he StandWithAnt?
Curiously Patrice Oneal had the same reaction to Howard.... and Artie did too... Maybe it's something with big fat guys.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
He told a story in his first spoken word DVD about how he met his wife. She was interviewing him for a publication.

Then they're talking, she's in his space, he kisses her and fucks her the first night.

Now, fellas, this is a guy who's already in Hollywood. It's a guy who already had Joey Lauren Adams. And MAYBE Ms. Schwalbach there, let's just say, genuinely fell for the Jersey Load.

But none of that changes that Mr. Smith doesn't wear the pants with his wife. Unlike Rob Zombie, who forces his wife Sherri into his movies - and she's not very good, but you know that, she had Devil's Rejects, so I'll give her a pass - I think Smith's wife is the one who forces her way into his films. He uses the excuse of "working with family", but what real director does that shit? Coppola did it once with Sofia and never did it again.

But most of all, she can't fucking act. She was the worst part of Jay and Silent Bob, as well as Clerks 2. He'd already long come off of Dogma, a film I still appreciate a little, and never came close to that quality ever again.

Was it really Rogen giving him the weed, or his wife taking what was left of his balls? Either way, he sucks.

UnPRePared

I think he lost his balls during his weight loss.

The American fan was actually dragged to see him do spoken word with Jason Mewes years back, while he was writing his last Silent Bob piece of shit. I remember him telling me about the whole thing.

Long story short, Kevin was actually entertaining, and told the story of his heart attack. A Widowmaker, which is a pretty big deal.

I bring this up because of the timing: Smith became a pussy long before the weight loss. He posted a video of himself crying to the season finale of The Flash season 1, which was when he was still fat. You can't excuse that with getting thinner and going vegetarian.

After him and Will Smith, I think I just blame Hollywood.

Harry Powell

Bruce is more helpful to Defendants than Plaintiff
Listening to him anytime pre-2008 is insane. You’re hearing a completely different person. The marijuana truly ruined his mind, as did decades of being in Hollywood.

I still think there are signs of actual talent in the first part of his career - and I enjoyed Red State or whatever it was called - but he truly went off the rails.

UnPRePared

Listening to him anytime pre-2008 is insane. You’re hearing a completely different person. The marijuana truly ruined his mind, as did decades of being in Hollywood.

I still think there are signs of actual talent in the first part of his career - and I enjoyed Red State or whatever it was called - but he truly went off the rails.

There's two examples in his entire career of what could've been - the first is Red State. It's the most completely different thing he ever did, and easily his most ambitious. Maybe it's a mix of not having enough money - I'll give him that - or his own innate fear of just going all the way, but the movie was clearly more potential than a creative home run, it didn't do great, and instead of using it as a building block, he just went for weird next with Tusk. All the goodwill Red State gave him was gone after Tusk, the fucking idiot.

The other lost cause would have fucking made him, and it's not really his fault, but it shows that Hollywood was never going to take him seriously, and instead of fighting against that, he conceded defeat: Superman Lives.

I admit to being gay when it comes to Superman; as a character I love his morality and what he stands for when done correctly. And that script was legit really good - almost great. Dismissing some minor dumb shit in their that he claimed was forced in by Jon Peters, that script is much better than any capeshit that comes out today, and most even before it. It would have been a cool science fiction film with a heart to it, like the best Star Trek I watched growing up. But it got scrapped when they hired Tim Burton and brought on Nicolas Cage, and never even got made.

I think that's summed up Smith's entire career: potential, but always wasted. For Superman, the system really did fuck him because they knew they had a great script but didn't take him seriously. Then later in life, he became lazy from weed - and probably from being a yes man to his wife - and he gave up trying to better his career.

Still have Dogma, I guess.

Last edited:

Harry Powell

Bruce is more helpful to Defendants than Plaintiff
There's two examples in his entire career of what could've been - the first is Red State. It's the most completely different thing he ever did, and easily his most ambitious. Maybe it's a mix of not having enough money - I'll give him that - or his own innate fear of just going all the way, but the movie was clearly more potential than a creative home run, it didn't do great, and instead of using it as a building block, he just went for weird next with Tusk. All the goodwill Red State gave him was gone after Tusk, the fucking idiot.

The other lost cause would have fucking made him, and it's not really his fault, but it shows that Hollywood was never going to take him seriously, and instead of fighting against that, he conceded defeat: Superman Lives.

I admit to being gay when it comes to Superman; as a character I love his morality and what he stands for when done correctly. And that script was legit really good - almost great. Dismissing some minor dumb shit in their that he claimed was forced in by Jon Peters, that script is much better than any capeshit that comes out today, and most even before it. It would have been a cool science fiction film with a heart to it, like the best Star Trek I watched growing up. But it got scrapped when they hired Tim Burton and brought on Nicolas Cage, and never even got made.

I think that's summed up Smith's entire career: potential, but always wasted. For Superman, the system really did fuck him because they knew they had a great script but didn't take him seriously. Then later in life, her became lazy from weed - and probably being a yes man to his wife - that he gave up trying to better his career.

I think Chasing Amy is also a decent film.

Will Tate

Oven March

I think that's summed up Smith's entire career: potential, but always wasted. For Superman, the system really did fuck him because they knew they had a great script but didn't take him seriously. Then later in life, her became lazy from weed - and probably being a yes man to his wife - that he gave up trying to better his career.

Not-very-interesting post script to that Superman Lives debacle, Jon Peters REALLY wanted a giant spider in that movie and when it didn't get made Peters had the production of Wild, Wild West shoehorn the giant spider in there. Nice crucial creative input, stupid.