Just bought an electric guitar

Maxwell

Expectation:

ezgif-4-5ecc50845f.gif

Reality:

But seriously folksh. Any guitar playing brothamen here with some tips for a beginner? I can easily play power chords and I'm a drummer, so I at least have decent musicality, but I can't just pick up a guitar and play something that sounds good on its own. Should I look up instruction videos or what?

gassers

CakeHorn/Say "Cookie"/BonnieMcFarlaneMe2 Alt
Expectation:

ezgif-4-5ecc50845f.gif

Reality:

But seriously folksh. Any guitar playing brothamen here with some tips for a beginner? I can easily play power chords and I'm a drummer, so I at least have decent musicality, but I can't just pick up a guitar and play something that sounds good on its own. Should I look up instruction videos or what?

Since you mentioned power chords and wants to start something with less complicated, I'd recommend Green Day. They might be not your taste though. 16, dick about music.

NoBacon

The gunslinger.
Have you got any natural rhythm?

I don’t, but I love playing guitar.

I’ll never be good but just playing something fills me with joy.

Get a “guitar chords for dummy’s” book. Learn the shapes of major chords, get used to pressing those strings down (your fingers will hurt for days) and strumming each slowly so they sound clean. No buzz.

Then keep practicing as much as possible playing major chords till they’re muscle memory and clean, move between them and do the same process at building muscle memory moving between chords with it sounding clean.

Now you can play major chords in any order and it sounds clean, now you can YouTube oasis songs and get a capo and teach yourself a lot of great songs.

That’s where I’m at now and I’m really proud of myself because I’m terrible at it.

You can complicate it from that point as much as you want and learn barre chords, and scales and basic solos etc.

Edit nvm actually read the text, you can play drums and power chords already.

Maxwell

You just gotta practice all the time brotherman. Learn how to do power chords and get an overdrive pedal and it won’t even matter how bad you suck, no one will be able to tell through all the gain. Many many shitty bands made a career doing this.

I bought a Boss effects processor pedal (no amp). I've fiddled with it for a few hours. Seems pfg.

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
I bought a Boss effects processor pedal (no amp). I've fiddled with it for a few hours. Seems pfg.
First mistake is you didn’t buy a Digitech. But you’re just an amateur so maybe, if you try hard enough and you have got the natural abilities (plus a younger bro who lets you sit on your ass all day instead of work), you can upgrade.

NoBacon

The gunslinger.
You just gotta practice all the time brotherman. Learn how to do power chords and get an overdrive pedal and it won’t even matter how bad you suck, no one will be able to tell through all the gain. Many many shitty bands made a career doing this.

That’s why I learned on an acoustic first, electric afterwards is like goku taking off his weighted clothing.

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
Expectation:

ezgif-4-5ecc50845f.gif

Reality:

Learn scales. I play the guitar but learn everything by ear and it makes it 1000% harder basically guessing which note comes next based on it’s pitch relative to the last note. Once you learn scales you can basically listen to any song, figure out which scale it uses, then the notes on the guitar come accordingly.

NoBacon

The gunslinger.
Learn scales. I play the guitar but learn everything by ear and it makes it 1000% harder basically guessing which note comes next based on it’s pitch relative to the last note. Once you learn scales you can basically listen to any song, figure out which scale it uses, then the notes on the guitar come accordingly.

I can’t, I tried and I just don’t have the musical ability. I use metronomes and chord tabs on YouTube.

Whatever works I guess.

Maxwell

Yeah that's my plan. I want to get versatile enough where I can just listen to a song, identify the scale and start playing along to it. That seems really damn fun.

By the way, since I'm a drummer I already know how to strum a guitar correctly. With a lot of beginners, you'll hear that ONE TWO THREE FOUR ONE TWO THREE FOUR stiffness. I instinctively know to play it ONE two THREE four ONE two THREE four.

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
Yeah that's my plan. I want to get versatile enough where I can just listen to a song, identify the scale and start playing along to it. That seems really damn fun.

By the way, since I'm a drummer I already know how to strum a guitar correctly. With a lot of beginners, you'll hear that ONE TWO THREE FOUR ONE TWO THREE FOUR stiffness. I instinctively know to play it ONE two THREE four ONE two THREE four.
You sound like a PROFESSIONAL, working MUSICIAN!