I'm watching lord of the rings for the first time

MonsterSteve

Age.
Pat likes Lord of the Rings? I thought he liked motorcycles and the Packers. This guy has some serious depth to his personality.
You could say he's a, dare I say, Stealthy Geek.

giphy.gif

NoBacon

The gunslinger.
I'm re-reading The Silmarillion right now, and imagining Pat trying to wade through it is fucking hilarious. "Who the fuck is Fëanor? Does he surf on shields too?"

The silmarillion is a masterpiece.

There is more wisdom in the writings of Tolkien and Lewis than there is in any philosophy or popular science ever written combined.

The films are good and I’m not gonna be one of those pretentious anti movie people, but that’s just what they are - Hollywood movies. The power of the books is obviously lost in them and leads to people like Patrick getting tacky tattoos because they want to get fucked by the Aragon actor.

NoBacon

The gunslinger.
I'm sure they're good stories and well made films I just can't make the leap with fantasy stuff. Don't know why.

I was the same but jumped in eventually and when it clicks, it’s a really rewarding experience. If you read the right books.

If you’re like me you are probably put off by the usual stereotype of fantasy nerds* but the real fantasy nerds aren’t like that, they’re just normal dudes you could easily go to the bar with.

5E4FAFCB-D069-4CF3-AC0C-DA5EA6CACFFB.jpeg

G

The silmarillion is a masterpiece.

There is more wisdom in the writings of Tolkien and Lewis than there is in any philosophy or popular science ever written combined.

The films are good and I’m not gonna be one of those pretentious anti movie people, but that’s just what they are - Hollywood movies. The power of the books is obviously lost in them and leads to people like Patrick getting tacky tattoos because they want to get fucked by the Aragon actor.
The Silmarillion definitely gets more rewarding on re-reads. I do it, The Hobbit and LOTR once a year or so. I'm adding Unfinished Tales and some of the History and Silmarillion-related books this year. I still enjoy the movies for the most part, but I find more that I dislike more about them every time through. There's some heinous dialogue.

G

I was the same but jumped in eventually and when it clicks, it’s a really rewarding experience. If you read the right books.

If you’re like me you are probably put off by the usual stereotype of fantasy nerds* but the real fantasy nerds aren’t like that, they’re just normal dudes you could easily go to the bar with.

*View attachment 72137
No, it's not the fans or nerdy thing. Maybe more the elves, dragons etc. Never felt the need to give GoT a try either. Maybe will give LOTR a go when the kids are a bit older.

NoBacon

The gunslinger.
The Silmarillion definitely gets more rewarding on re-reads. I do it, The Hobbit and LOTR once a year or so. I'm adding Unfinished Tales and some of the History and Silmarillion-related books this year. I still enjoy the movies for the most part, but I find more that I dislike more about them every time through. There's some heinous dialogue.

Christopher understood his father’s outlook and protected his legacy well.

Whoever owns the family IP rights now doesn’t really seem to care, it’ll keep getting diluted till Disney are making cartoons about it.

(He fucking hated Disney and vowed never to let them make anything in his name, because he took fairy tales seriously and Disney did stuff like make Dwarves little gay cute retards, when they should be proud strong warriors etc)

MasterPosHonor

Don't take any guff from these swine
Aren't Frodo and his boys fags?

Yes, but fortunately that isn't the point of the story. Funny enough, Sam came off as the gayest and cried the most, and he's the only one who ended up with a wife and kids.*

*View attachment 72137

Yeah, it's one thing to enjoy a work of fantasy or science fiction once in a while, and another thing to make your entire gay, empty personality revolve around it.

Christopher understood his father’s outlook and protected his legacy well.

Whoever owns the family IP rights now doesn’t really seem to care, it’ll keep getting diluted till Disney are making cartoons about it.

(He fucking hated Disney and vowed never to let them make anything in his name, because he took fairy tales seriously and Disney did stuff like make Dwarves little gay cute retards, when they should be proud strong warriors etc)

Speaking of animation, does the Bakshi movie hold up? I haven't seen it since I was a kid and I remember nothing.

*in the movies, anyway. I'm aware of the Appendices, but Piggy and his tattoo are not.

NoBacon

The gunslinger.
Yes, but fortunately that isn't the point of the story. Funny enough, Sam came off as the gayest and cried the most, and he's the only one who ended up with a wife and kids.*

Yeah, it's one thing to enjoy a work of fantasy or science fiction once in a while, and another thing to make your entire gay, empty personality revolve around it.

Speaking of animation, does the Bakshi movie hold up? I haven't seen it since I was a kid and I remember nothing.

*in the movies, anyway. I'm aware of the Appendices, but Piggy and his tattoo are not.

I’ve never seen that original animated version. I hear it’s charming, though.