How does he make money?

I'm living off work today that I did between two and six years ago. Which is great, but it also means that the work I'm doing now won't pay for another two years. You have to keep the pipeline full because any gaps will hit like a train down the line. Too easy to get comfortable.
q3qqq33.png

I'm guessing he has some account that his mother-in-law pays for. Probably a credit card. As long as Piggy can justify the purchase (I NEED a new fridge! I NEED a vacation for our anniversary! I NEED to get drunk at Hooligans to write my amazing novels!)

His biggest skill in life is crying to authority figures to get his way. Presenting his sobbing narrative in a way where he's always the poor hapless victim and he oh so badly needs you to do things for him. Who better to emotionally manipulate than a widow whose husband passed too soon?

Pat denies ever getting money from mommy-in-law, but he denies literally everything including that the sky is blue. He leeches off her the way conmen leech off the elderly: they're lonely and if you give them attention, you can convince them to give you money.

Last edited:

JoeBrotheChildSpitGuzzler

I Am Racist Man Leader of the Digital Ku Klux Klan
he doesn't. This is just further proof that people like Pat and his SFWA circle jerk friends know they are destroying the Genre by flooding it with books that don't sell, but they still have to pretend they are successful authors by giving each other awards. Guess what. stupid, you got your wish and no conservatives will buy Sci Fi and Fantasy anymore; unfortunately you've also ruined the profitability of your industry and made it impossible for even authors like Scalzi to get the big advances they used to.

BudDickman

I'm assuming that an advance from the publisher is an estimate of how much the author would earn in royalties in a year. I think he got a cash advance of $8500 a few years ago and has not been renewed, so that probably means he missed his estimate. If he has three books that have already earned out that generate that much in royalties every year (they don't, which is why his publisher dropped him), he makes about $25k in a year, i.e. nearly one Quasi reimbursement.

That's the absolute maximum of what he makes from writing. Realistically, he probably make like $5k/year. Not bad if writing is a hobby. You would have to be a real loser to make such little money off of something that consider your profession.

Clint Ruin

I'm sorry, who are you?
His biggest skill in life is crying to authority figures

While talking shit about them, telling lies about almost throat-punching them, calling anyone that supports them bootlickers, etc...

You know, Rick, I may not actively rail against authority like I did in my youth, but I also don't run crying to them any time anything uncomfortable happens to me. If you hate cops, judges, and politicians so much, maybe stop being so fucking dependant on them.

Last edited: