Doctor Owen will not be ignored, WISN

Faggot Boqposter

Dangerously sassy
I'm not sure where you read anything about a mac address but I can't imagine how that would be affected. Its been a while since i did any physical networking shit, so maybe this has changed or i'm wrong. But, a mac address is part of level 2 in OSI. What that means is that mac address only means something in your local network. To get access to the internet the router will get a mac address and then do something with it depending on the config. The router's mac address might get sent across the internet. Also if the device you're using is the network router then maybe? There's some edge cases i suppose, but this goes beyond my networking 101 knowledge.

If you've ever seen "arp" or an "arp table", thats the router associating a mac address or physical device with an ip. There's weird shit like with wifi or something where you can sniff a mac address and iot shit but I don't think that applies either.

So cloning mac address is useful for something like some public network, a hotel or something. Lets say you unplug the ethernet cable from the tv in a hotel and plug it into your laptop for faster speeds. You can't get a network connection for some reason. Turns out the hotel router has a mac address filter and had the tv whitelisted. You can then clone your mac address to the tvs and bypass the filter.

View attachment 60594
Mind dumbing that down a bit, say to the level where someone who got a D in problem solving might understand?

G

I'm not sure where you read anything about a mac address but I can't imagine how that would be affected. Its been a while since i did any physical networking shit, so maybe this has changed or i'm wrong. But, a mac address is part of level 2 in OSI. What that means is that mac address only means something in your local network. To get access to the internet the router will get a mac address and then do something with it depending on the config. The router's mac address might get sent across the internet. Also if the device you're using is the network router then maybe? There's some edge cases i suppose, but this goes beyond my networking 101 knowledge.

If you've ever seen "arp" or an "arp table", thats the router associating a mac address or physical device with an ip. There's weird shit like with wifi or something where you can sniff a mac address and iot shit but I don't think that applies either.

So cloning mac address is useful for something like some public network, a hotel or something. Lets say you unplug the ethernet cable from the tv in a hotel and plug it into your laptop for faster speeds. You can't get a network connection for some reason. Turns out the hotel router has a mac address filter and had the tv whitelisted. You can then clone your mac address to the tvs and bypass the filter.

View attachment 60594

1660873483022.png

Heyfellas

Where we at with the where we at?

View attachment 60594
Nobody called for tech support babu

G

But, a mac address is part of level 2 in OSI. What that means is that mac address only means something in your local network. To get access to the internet the router will get a mac address and then do something with it depending on the config. The router's mac address might get sent across the internet. Also if the device you're using is the network router then maybe? There's some edge cases i suppose, but this goes beyond my networking 101 knowledge.
Yeah, you're correct. They're all local. Like Boomia's PC MAC address will be known only in his internal network (any devices in his house). His router's MAC address will only be know in it's internal network (local to his ISP). His ISP router will be known somewhere else. But his PC MAC address isn't being broadcast over the internet.

G

Yeah, you're correct. They're all local. Like Boomia's PC MAC address will be known only in his internal network (any devices in his house). His router's MAC address will only be know in it's internal network (local to his ISP). His ISP router will be known somewhere else. But his PC MAC address isn't being broadcast over the internet.
The reason I use a fictitious spoofed mac is to have my ISP in Canada not see my device as they don't issue copyright notices but do ban mac addresses that download to much. They also have a hard device limit of 50 I believe, so I have like 8 routers, a number of other connected things all of which run on routers to avoid the limit, but my 2 PCs, tablet and Mac all go on using spoofed mac addresses even through things behind their ONT. I was under the assumption that some ISPs send mac addresses out so I thought that meant websites could see them to do device bans. Guess I was wrong, but I'm still using a spoofed mac here in Michigan, along with my vpn.

Here I have just one IP address, but at home since I'm using a programmed switch for MDUs on fiber, I have the potential to have 24 IPs, several of which are clearly labeled as outside the local CO. Not sure if that's for redundancy if equipment fails or just some quirk. Either way the medium is still a single strand of fiber to the pop and then transport to their interconnect CO. I do know that cards fail on shelves rather frequently so it's possible if feed equipment fails they have a way to switch to another pop on the switches they use for MDUs. This way an entire building doesn't fail if they fed all the units through the same shelf, POP, or originating point.

I'm on cable in Michigan with very high speeds but much slower latency than my fiber at home and also much heavier policing of my traffic in the USA, not because the USA is worse, but rather that my Canadian ISP is smaller and independent. I however still need VPNs even outside Fatty for my streaming services, several of which are free through my US ISP and Cell companies. The point I was making was I'm pretty well insulated and tried a few methods and it seems the key is direct contact and tagging of Pat generates him reporting me after his correcting post back and they automatically flag and close my brand new account. I'd say it's 80% certain a human approved this tactic. That being said "my cookies" are not the issue.
Are you sure no ISPs send MAC info out? I swore that I saw things that some do, but this isn't my area so I could be wrong.

Edit: oopsies I thought I answered admin first, boomer and all I'm stupid.

G

I can see that then for isp reaspns. If you're that paranoid about your isp though. Set up your isp router as a passthrough. Then your own router and firewall can encrypt all the traffic and you can encrypt dns calls as well. I have pfsense set up myself.
I'm not "paranoid" about them and I don't use their router, I come straight from the ONT to the multiport switch and it has to be theirs to communicate with the equipment to give me those unique IPs. From there it goes to multiple wifi routers and switches, plus several home run Cat 6's to TVs. I have flashed US routers and Canadian ones as well. I also I worked for them and took that switch home to have all those IPs available to me. I worry because they look for big usage and sometimes ban users. They don't have a clue I'm set up like I am. Like I said I mentioned it because the pig now has banning abilities on a site that has hundred of millions of users. He couldn't pass a math class 25 years ago now he polices speech.

G

View attachment 60594
Dweeb

G

The reason I use a fictitious spoofed mac is to have my ISP in Canada not see my device as they don't issue copyright notices but do ban mac addresses that download to much. They also have a hard device limit of 50 I believe, so I have like 8 routers, a number of other connected things all of which run on routers to avoid the limit, but my 2 PCs, tablet and Mac all go on using spoofed mac addresses even through things behind their ONT. I was under the assumption that some ISPs send mac addresses out so I thought that meant websites could see them to do device bans. Guess I was wrong, but I'm still using a spoofed mac here in Michigan, along with my vpn.

Here I have just one IP address, but at home since I'm using a programmed switch for MDUs on fiber, I have the potential to have 24 IPs, several of which are clearly labeled as outside the local CO. Not sure if that's for redundancy if equipment fails or just some quirk. Either way the medium is still a single strand of fiber to the pop and then transport to their interconnect CO. I do know that cards fail on shelves rather frequently so it's possible if feed equipment fails they have a way to switch to another pop on the switches they use for MDUs. This way an entire building doesn't fail if they fed all the units through the same shelf, POP, or originating point.

I'm on cable in Michigan with very high speeds but much slower latency than my fiber at home and also much heavier policing of my traffic in the USA, not because the USA is worse, but rather that my Canadian ISP is smaller and independent. I however still need VPNs even outside Fatty for my streaming services, several of which are free through my US ISP and Cell companies. The point I was making was I'm pretty well insulated and tried a few methods and it seems the key is direct contact and tagging of Pat generates him reporting me after his correcting post back and they automatically flag and close my brand new account. I'd say it's 80% certain a human approved this tactic. That being said "my cookies" are not the issue.

Are you sure no ISPs send MAC info out? I swore that I saw things that some do, but this isn't my area so I could be wrong.

Boomer dweeb

Bin_The_Blacks

What you Torquin 'bout Wheelers

Why so few paragraphs? You're slipping Boomia.

ActionJackson

What did you think we'd be doing today?
I can see that then for isp reaspns. If you're that paranoid about your isp though. Set up your isp router as a passthrough. Then your own router and firewall can encrypt all the traffic and you can encrypt dns calls as well. I have pfsense set up myself.
Does this prevent Porkrick Hoglinson from being able to pay black hat hackers to fuck with your base codes?

Missy's Mangled Handster

BBJ Lover

8 routers what the fuck kind of illegal mob shit are you running? Selling bootleg DVDs?

G

8 routers what the fuck kind of illegal mob shit are you running? Selling bootleg DVDs?
Two USA routers with different locations to use sports streaming services a 3rd with DNS proxies incase any USA VPN doesn't work at a giving time. One each on each floor of Canadian local for better service, one for the garage and one for the outer buildings. I have the USA ones spread on each floor too as I can get good service on the living room TV from any of the floor specific ones, but only I care if I use a NY one or the Phoenix one, based on games. It works for us and like I said the local IPs are all different on them. Plus I have multiple home runs to the kids bedrooms TV and video game shit. I also still have VOIP home phone which is home run up from the switch. All the routers are pretty much just used for wifi unless the kids plug in something. The only thing I have plugged in off a router is the LR TV on the Phoenix VPN one for our streaming stuff there and Met games, I use wifi on the TV if we need Canadian Netflix or something. I have 3 home runs to that spot one each for the USA and Canadian routers and the MTA is the other. I'm contemplating adding another router for the printers because my kids are always asking me to print because they can't figure out where to sign on.