Best horror movies to watch?

AwfulManTitTankTop

"AnTi-swaTTing laws"
Slither (2005) is good, it's just very campy. If you like hokey b-horror movies though I highly recommend it.

I will recommend the 2003 remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It shits all over the original.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

There's feral honkies in the Smoky Mountains
The Block Island Sound is incredible. I watched it on McGowan's recommendation. Went in expecting a Billy Joel biopic.

I'd second a few mentioned already - the original Martyrs is genuinely shocking. Kill List is great, kind of 3 different genres rolled into 1 film. The Witch is almost art. Misery is a timeless classic. The original The Vanishing (in Dutch and French) is a true head fuck.

I would add The Block Island Sound. It's not a straight horror movie per se but it's one of the most deeply unsettling movies I've ever seen and you don't really have a clue what's going on until the end.

Calculating Bovinity

My name's Pat-reek, the Five-Ton Freak, child
Goddamn it. You sold this so well. It was interesting but not scary at all. Fawk.

I watched it too. Didn't scream out at the end like another poster said because I'm desensitized to a lot of stuff, but I think it's a movie that will stay with you for a while after. Eerie atmosphere and music, plus the symbolism and metaphors maaaaan. And 'the banality of evil' etc.

Last edited:

CuckQueen

On the Joe Cumia retirement plan.
The Exorcist-My father got home from several tours of Vietnam as a green beret and watched the Exorcist in theater with his first wife. He didn't speak one word on the hour long drive home, said it terrified him.
The Abominable Dr. Fibes is campy, but really creepy with Vincent Price.

HotDogJoe

Professional leech since 1994. Anyone can do it.

Funny Games (1997 film)​

It's easily the scariest movie I've ever seen. It's a subtitled German movie. If you have a family you'll be terrified.

Great film. The remake with Tim Roth is really good too.

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!
Goddamn it. You sold this so well. It was interesting but not scary at all. Fawk.
If you think I oversold it wait until you see my hand selling skills. Sorry for misleading brothaman just remember it making me cery uncomfortable for months after just thinking about it.

Uncle Floyd

“Too many goddamn scuddleheads.”
The Autopsy of Jane Doe is a good watch.

Gave It Follows a shot and, christ, that movie stunk worse than a queefed-out secondhand nigger fart.

Snake

The Lament Conniggeration
imageedit_6_6478335500.jpg

Coonskin

Don't thank the felon, Keith
When a stranger calls has the best opening sequence in any horror movie I've seen. The Lighthouse is a really good full movie. An American Werewolf in a London is more campy but rememberable. Silence of the Lambs is a top 5

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
I'm probably the wrong guy to post, because I lean towards old horror. I'm also not a gorehound.

BUT, if atmosphere and visuals are just as important to you, I have a few suggestions:

- Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: it's a silent film, and a little dry, but the visuals alone are stunning. The sets are pure German Expressionism and it's kind of a mind Fuck. Plus, Conrad Veidt's performance as the somnambulist is really disturbing.

- Dead of Night: a 40's British horror film that is an anthology with a connected centerpiece. More creepy than scary, but it works well.

- Island of Lost Souls: Still the best version of the Moreau story, and that's all because of Charles Laughton. If you let yourself get into it, it's really unsettling - a benefit of being a pre-code Horror film.

- Mystery of the Wax Museum: Not a great movie, but the two-strip Technicolor, the sharp dialogue and Lionel Atwill's performance make this really memorable. It's another pre-code, so they push the boundaries of the time.

- Freaks: You'll probably feel dirty after this one. Real life circus freaks on film, a famous chant, and one of the biggest reasons the Hayes Code was created. This disgusted a LOT of critics of the era.

- Nosferatu: I'm biased here, it's a personal favorite. Tone, atmosphere, pacing and visuals are excellent. Depending on the version you watch, as this is a silent film, the music score can make or break this. For everything good Universal did with Dracula later on, Murnau did it better a decade before.

Last edited:

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.
I'm probably the wrong guy to post, because I learn towards old horror. I'm also not a gorehound.

BUT, if atmosphere and visuals are just as important to you, I have a few suggestions:

- Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: it's a silent film, and a little dry, but the visuals alone are stunning. The sets are pure German Expressionism and it's kind of a mind Fuck. Plus, Conrad Veidt's performance as the somnambulist is really disturbing.

- Dead of Night: a 40's British horror film that is an anthology with a connected centerpiece. More creepy than scary, but it works well.

- Island of Lost Souls: Still the best version of the Moreau story, and that's all because of Charles Laughton. If you let yourself get into it, it's really unsettling - a benefit of being a pre-code Horror film.

- Mystery of the Wax Museum: Not a great movie, but the two-strip Technicolor, the sharp dialogue and Lionel Atwill's performance make this really memorable. It's another pre-code, so they push the boundaries of the time.

- Freaks: You'll probably feel dirty after this one. Real life circus freaks on film, a famous chant, and one of the biggest reasons the Hayes Code was created. This disgusted a LOT of critics of the era.

- Nosferatu: I'm biased here, it's a personal favorite. Tone, atmosphere, pacing and visuals are excellent. Depending on the version you watch, as this is a silent film, the music score can make or break this. For everything good Universal did with Dracula later on, Murnau did it better a decade before.
Even though I prefer the Gabriel era of Genesis, I think you and I have similar taste in early cinema.

Deep Red (1975) is Argento's best film. The soundtrack absolutely slaps and the bizarre tone, pacing, and atmosphere is very unique and unsettling.

Tenebrae (1982) is Argento's second best film. All of the traits listed above apply to this movie. It has a wonderful chase scene with a Doberman who must've jumped 15 feet in the air multiple times without camera trickery.

Don't Look Now (1973) is unlike anything you've ever seen. At no point will you fully know what's going on but this is not because of poor storytelling, it's because this movie's world is unlike any other movie world; the causality is bizarre, the ambiguities shift at multiple turns, and the climax is the best in the history of horror.

Mute Witness (1995) is a funny and tense thriller. There's definitely some horror elements but it's not a straight genre piece. It is one of the most suspenseful films ever made.

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) is a different movie every time I watch it. Still can't make heads or tales of it, but it's a masterclass in pacing and building tension.

Cure (1997) is the best serial killer movie ever made.