Best cheap(ish) mic for spoken vocals... (other than Shure SM7b)

pretty much as the title.

Maybe a weird older one I can get cheap on ebay, nice bassy sound. I like the Electrovoice RE20s, but don't mind an old/odd one that sounds good

Conehead Nigger

Black Bull Kang
Big Black Cock : r/BlackWorldOrder

You could buy like 8 sm58s for the price of one sm7b
I know what good 'standard' (boring blah blah blah) mics are, I was looking for something interesting, maybe a nice-sounding vintage. Just 'cus I want something cheap doesn't mean I can't afford something expensive. I've got an RE320 at my other place

You can't skimp on your interface either. And get something with XLR and not some shitty USB plug-in.
I've got a low-latency Phono-USB, got an OK mixer but the USB codec is pretty shit on the mixer - hence the interface (the mixer's actually not ok but bidding on some better ones). Ur right tho'

Last edited:
People shit on the Blue Yeti, but if you do de-noise, de-click and then do an EQ-match with a recording you like... it's not terrible.

The mic isn't the biggest problem or the biggest hurdle.

You want to sound bassy like Howard Stern. EQ match can do a lot of that. It's not 100% of course.

Although, your recording environment and reducing echo from that is A THOUSAND times more important than making minor changes in your recording chain with equipment!

I'd say echo is your number one problem. Then mouth noise. Then maybe frequency range of your mic and how you're dealing with it. Then post.

I know there are VO stars out there with a great mic and a great pre-amp who sound fantastic. But... they have also treated their recording environment FOR SURE. For SURE they dealt with that first.

You need a good room, dude. Step 1: move out of your mom's basement. Step 2: Get back to me.