Anyone watching The North Water?

G

Colin Farrel is really good in this.
Yeah. Fair play to him, he's a solid actor. Slightly hampered by the fact he's a handsome bastard and went the movie star route but I've seen enough evidence- Tigerland, Phone Booth, In Bruges and this - that he's got more talent than your average leading man de jour.

G

Yeah. Fair play to him, he's a solid actor. Slightly hampered by the fact he's a handsome bastard and went the movie star route but I've seen enough evidence- Tigerland, Phone Booth, In Bruges and this - that he's got more talent than your average leading man de jour.
Yeah... Phone Booth is underrated. He's solid. I like a good man vs wild movie/series. The dialogue is so good. Just finished episode 3.

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
Wrapped up the fifth episode. Show started out interesting enough, really dug the stuff on the ship, but the weird vision quest shit at the end of the 4th was when I knew it was gonna turn to shit. And it did. The final episode is chock full of so many cliches,
the priest among the natives who saves and nurses him back to health, bonding with the eskimos on the seal hunt, stalking Drax (who just happens to be back in Hull) in the dark warehouse, and the ho-hum confrontation with Baxter in his home
, it makes me rethink why I enjoyed the series at all. Such a lazy, disappointing finale.

The cinematography is great; apparently they shot all of the outdoor footage in the middle of the Arctic. It's amazing.
NOTE: Colin Farrell plays the best Bill the Butcher since Daniel Day-Jewish.

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.
It's like recommending Boku No Pico. I love anyone who actually goes through and watches it and lets that happen to themselves

To go with @McGowan6

on a related note, check out The Bounty (1984), thematically linked if off by an ocean and about a century. really good stuff if you haven't seen it
Deep Calm (1989) again sea faring in theme, but modern and smaller scope. Awesome, recently saw this, it's good
The Vanishing (1988, Danish) - this was recommended in a movie thread here that i searched for recently and couldn't find. Watched it on a brotherman's recommendation. Don't read synopsis just put it on
Dead Calm is amazing.
Billy Zane is such an incredible actor. He was born to play a villain (Demon Knight is his finest hour) and its a real tragedy that Titanic made him too hatable to be cast in leading/supporting roles again.

I saw The Vanishing with an ex girlfriend. We rented it on a Saturday night but fell asleep before we could watch it.
Sunday morning was lovely. We fucked, showered, made breakfast, had coffee, smoked some weed and then said,
hey, lets watch that movie!
That will be fun!
We're young, sexy, and free!
Lets watch this little foreign number we rented from the indie video store!
What could be better?

We split maybe a week later.
I blame The Vanishing

RedHeadpw2

Fan of the Era
Dead Calm is amazing.
Billy Zane is such an incredible actor. He was born to play a villain (Demon Knight is his finest hour) and its a real tragedy that Titanic made him too hatable to be cast in leading/supporting roles again.

I saw The Vanishing with an ex girlfriend. We rented it on a Saturday night but fell asleep before we could watch it.
Sunday morning was lovely. We fucked, showered, made breakfast, had coffee, smoked some weed and then said,
hey, lets watch that movie!
That will be fun!
We're young, sexy, and free!
Lets watch this little foreign number we rented from the indie video store!
What could be better?

We split maybe a week later.
I blame The Vanishing
Blame yer small peckah!
... Like she does.

ThePepsiColaRapist

Holy crap, this show is awesome. I read they shot in the Arctic Circle for six fucking weeks. Most productions would have just green screened/CGI all that stuff, but the cast and crew lived in boats for the duration.
Hopefully it doesn't shit the bed in the last three episodes.

ThePepsiColaRapist

Wrapped up the fifth episode. Show started out interesting enough, really dug the stuff on the ship, but the weird vision quest shit at the end of the 4th was when I knew it was gonna turn to shit. And it did. The final episode is chock full of so many cliches,
the priest among the natives who saves and nurses him back to health, bonding with the eskimos on the seal hunt, stalking Drax (who just happens to be back in Hull) in the dark warehouse, and the ho-hum confrontation with Baxter in his home
, it makes me rethink why I enjoyed the series at all. Such a lazy, disappointing finale.

The cinematography is great; apparently they shot all of the outdoor footage in the middle of the Arctic. It's amazing.
NOTE: Colin Farrell plays the best Bill the Butcher since Daniel Day-Jewish.
I dunno man,
I didn't see it as a vision quest at all. Otto told the guy, "We will all die. You will be consumed by a bear (which he sorta was) and you will be reborn. Also, Priests often went to live among the savages (still do.) I don't think the main guy bonded with the Eskimos so much as he wanted to get back out to hunt, live his life renewed. If anything, they showed more reverence towards him (they thought the nigga had the spirit of a bear, and gave him a knife to show respect) whereas he later told the priest, I just let them believe what ever bullshit they want to believe.
As for Drax going back to Hull, where else was he suppose to go? He had work and connections in Hull.
I'm not trying to be a dick and say you're wrong, because for crying out loud, its just a TV show. But I thought it was solid from beginning to end.

JamieConway

Still Serchin' 4 Da Truf
BBC/HBO production. Drama/murder mystery miniseries set on a 19th century whaling vessel. Only on episode 2 but good stuff so far. Colin Farrell unrecognisable as the antagonist. Same size as season 2 Sopranos Gandolfini but with long hair and beard. Stephen Graham also stars. It might become shit but am enjoying it so far. Gritty, all the cast are scumbags, the only female characters are literally whores. Good clean fun for the whole family!
So I just watched this series on your guys recommend...it was great. Colin Farrell was fantastic.
This is why we need an active recommendation thread here. I would never have heard of this series if I hadn't checked this post out.

TheYepster

yep yep yep yep yep
just watched it its pretty good, too bad the show doesnt has much discussion

So what happened to the faggot? Are they all dead?