• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Any Examples of Sam Roberts Playing the Victim?

Mick_Mickerson

Which way?! Medium or well done?
Forum Clout
Having goals is awesome. How do you go about achieving those goals? If you do it through hard work and persistence, that's cool. If you do it maliciously through ass kissing and manipulation, I don't see a need to celebrate that behavior.
Both the Opester and AntH have discussed the famed Sam Roberts "work ethic." Are you suggesting they were just punching it up for the air?

My theory was that he actually did a normal 8 hour office day which made him stick out among all the staff lol.

If O&A had just come from JP Morgan or some shit, I doubt they would have been as blown away by young Sam's tremendous work ethic

But, who knows? I wasn't there

BenDovid

Forum Clout
Both the Opester and AntH have discussed the famed Sam Roberts "work ethic." Are you suggesting they were just punching it up for the air?

I don't need to suggest anything. I know.

Some of you have a warped perspective of how things actually worked. Opie, Anthony and Jim all showed up between 5:30 and 6 and left the INSTANT the show was over. What would they actually know about who's doing what before or after the show. You're taking the word of the two people who probably know the LEAST about what was going on behind the scenes.

My theory was that he actually did a normal 8 hour office day which made him stick out among all the staff lol.

Sam hung around the office like Erik. Facetime at the office is a real thing. When people see you "at work" they think you're working. Sam literally had zero post show responsibilities. None. Once the aftershow started, he did that before having nothing to do. He would stay at the office until late in the afternoon like 4pm.

Travis, Sam & I would all show up about 4:45-5:00. Most days I was leaving around 2pm. That's a 9+ hour day for me already. I'm good. Sam wants to spend 4 hours after work hanging out at the office with Troy? Good for him.

But, who knows? I wasn't there

Nope. You sure weren't.

Sue Lightning

<-- Never heard of Spankbang
Forum Clout
Lol yes. This “work ethic” was sucking up. I didn’t even work on the show and I can bet half the other staff worked harder than Sam. Bet they wouldn’t get that credit because they weren’t kissing ass every 5 seconds or running to O&A about every little thing they produced, inflating their numbers and making it seem like “Wow that guy is doing a lot!”
As opposed to who? Erock was “working” longer than an 8 hour work week but that time was spent eating and listening to R&F. Even the interns knew the whole “I stayed here for X hours!” was bullshit and it only mattered what you produced in that time.

Sue Lightning

Forum Clout
Oh wait i’m sorry I remember the “work ethic” of Sam Roberts. It’s that he managed to intern for a radio show doing nothing but tard wrangling while also being able to host the pre and post shows. More than anything this shows how warped O&A’s sense of a “work ethic” was. They thought THEY had strong work ethic showing up for 4 hours a day and leaving immediately. So of course they thought Sam was some monster hard worker.

Sue Lightning

Forum Clout
Joon your mn’t is the only thing I can think of where he was getting shit on and had no way to deflect on to someone else… he was good at weaseling his way out of negative attention
Yeah I wouldn’t say Sam ever “played the victim” but he was really good at worming his way out of any comeuppance. He deserved to get his face caved in by Pat Duffy but didn’t for this exact reason.

WhereWeAt

Forum Clout
Even THIS is giving Sam too much credit. The little mong didn’t even need to manipulate or ass kiss his way to the top. He simply needed to be in the right place and outlast everyone else. If Sam were doing a shitty solo show on Sirius no one would be giving him Kudos, but because he took O&A’s seat people think he’s deserving of praise or actually did anything. So let me remind the dwopes why Sam even has a job in the first place:

You and Danny are right, but Sam was doing free work for the company on Hits1 for years. You can hate the guy for a lot of reasons, but sacrifices like that sometimes pay off.

Yes, he's a company man who sabotages people behind the scenes and shouldn't be trusted. But there were tangible reasons that got him here, too.

Sue Lightning

Forum Clout
You and Danny are right, but Sam was doing free work for the company on Hits1 for years. You can hate the guy for a lot of reasons, but sacrifices like that sometimes pay off.

Yes, he's a company man who sabotages people behind the scenes and shouldn't be trusted. But there were tangible reasons that got him here, too.
Obviously yes. But that hard work “paying off” is so far from how the result actually happened that its basically a butterfly effect. Someone like Erock is actually a better example of his “hardwork” directly paying off. He went from retarded intern to a corporate job in the company. No one would say he actually worked hard but whatever perception in the company there was made them go “We want you to work for us directly and make decisions for us.” THATS direct.

Sam's is not. Again, if Jim had not asked Sam to fill in for those days when Opie wasn’t there, Sam would never be in the former seats of O&A. You could argue “who else would Jim ask?” Well literally anybody other than a former intern not even apart of the show anymore. Or he could have done it by himself if he had any talent. Jim picked him because he needed a warm body he had any relationship with who was also a broadcaster. The company picked same because they just needed a warm body.

And lets remember doing J&S isn’t some reward. If that’s his “hard work paying off” you could argue him getting his solo show first was that, not J&S. But the only reason he got that was because the company needed a warm body. And as I said in another thread being a broadcaster is Sams second career choice - the first is to be one for the WWE and thats not happening anytime soon.

Mick_Mickerson

Forum Clout
Some of you have a warped perspective of how things actually worked. Opie, Anthony and Jim all showed up between 5:30 and 6 and left the INSTANT the show was over. What would they actually know about who's doing what before or after the show. You're taking the word of the two people who probably know the LEAST about what was going on behind the scenes.
Right, they were never there, so why would they be prattling on about Sam's "work ethic" rather than other people? They would seemingly have the same zero information for all the employees across the board.
Nope. You sure weren't.
That's what I literally said.

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Forum Clout
You're judging others' goals by comparing it to the single goal of Sam, which was to be an on-air personality.
To be fair, I didn't really mean that as an insult. It's just the straightforward answer to the question: "how the fuck did Sam Roberts of all people get a job behind the mic?" Because he really wanted it and the rest seemingly didn't. What the reason behind that is could be anything and doesn't have to boil down to laziness or stupidity on the part of the others.

Then again, how far could you realistically grow as a producer in that business, while staying within the realm of production? You just said that there was nothing higher to aspire to if you didn't want to host a show in your own right. From an outside perspective it does seem like trying to score an on-air gig is the logical next step if you want a bigger paycheck, a brand name, a more rounded-out resume and increased bargaining power at the company you work for. That doesn't mean that everyone is cut out to become a broadcaster (like fucking Sam isn't), but it does make sense, if only business wise, to make the attempt.

I'm just kinda musing here because I'm trying to picture myself in the position you and Sam had. I'm inclined to have the same mentality you had, having no desire to be on the air all the time and being happy producing the show. But on the other hand I'd probably feel like I should make an effort just because it might be better for my career, even though I'd probably dislike it and suck at it. It's a tough one man, so for once I'm not going to call you a retard for the choices you made in life.

BenDovid

Forum Clout
Right, they were never there, so why would they be prattling on about Sam's "work ethic" rather than other people? They would seemingly have the same zero information for all the employees across the board.

That's what I literally said.

Nah you're right, you were there. You must have been if you're arguing with me. I was his coworker for 8 years. You're some fucking idiot. I wonder who knows more about it...

I'm just kinda musing here because I'm trying to picture myself in the position you and Sam had.

You don't really need to. I was an O&A fan back in 1998 and said to myself, "I want to work there....". Sam got an internship in college and said "I can use this for my own personal gain.."

That's it, really. Sam was motivated to hype Sam. I was motived to make the O&A show the best it could be.

Mick_Mickerson

Forum Clout
Nah you're right, you were there. You must have been if you're arguing with me. I was his coworker for 8 years. You're some fucking idiot. I wonder who knows more about it...
We must lack the commonality of language. :image_9248:

I upfront said I wasn't there. You decided to fire off a snarky response to my acknowledgement of that fact for no reason.
I also didn't have to be there to pick up on fact Opie and Anthony were both under the impression sam was a hard worker. They both said it repeatedly.

bantadant

Fantastic Man
Forum Clout
Nah you're right, you were there, mate. You must have been if you're arguing with me, mate. Mate, I was his coworker for 8 years, mate. You're some fucking idiot, mate. I wonder who knows more about it mate...

You don't really need to, mate. Mate, I was an O&A fan back in 1998 and said to myself, "mate, I want to work there, mate....". Sam got an internship in college and said "I can use this for my own personal gain.."

That's it, really, mate. Sam was motivated to hype Sam, mate. Mate, I was motived to make the O&A show the best it could be, mate.

Forum Clout

You don't really need to. I was an O&A fan back in 1998 and said to myself, "I want to work there....". Sam got an internship in college and said "I can use this for my own personal gain.."

That's it, really. Sam was motivated to hype Sam. I was motived to make the O&A show the best it could be.
So, Sam was motivated by personal success while you were motivated to make your heroes sound good to their fans?