• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Any Examples of Sam Roberts Playing the Victim?

Forum Clout
I know there's a lot of Sam hate but observing how other O & A side characters have handled their lives got me thinking...

Did Sam Roberts ever play the victim like most of them did? Did he ever allow himself to be beaten down like a fool for audience giggles?

I don't recall any of that ever happening. He always appeared smug, swarmy and above everyone else, including the three hosts. He thought he was the shit and in the end...he stole the show from Opie!

And all the other guys? Bitter, dead by hanging, working for Compound Media, etc...

Hate him all ya want but Sam Roberts never came off like a little pussy like the rest of them.

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Forum Clout
Did Sam Roberts ever play the victim like most of them did?
Not that I can recall.

Did he ever allow himself to be beaten down like a fool for audience giggles?
No. Whenever they made jokes at his expense he tried to laugh along or deflect, and in the rare occasion when he was in the barrel for real he'd pout and give the bbboys nothing to work with.

There's that time where they dressed him up as a baby and had that wrestler spoonfeed him and Sam was just stonewalling the whole thing, sulking and resisting but (crucially) not in a way that made for any entertaining radio. I think that's the first and last time they ever tried to have a whole bit at Sam's expense, because he successfully sabotaged it and made it clear that if they wanted anything funny going out over the airwaves, bashing Sam wasn't going to be a way to achieve that.

Hate him all ya want but Sam Roberts never came off like a little pussy like the rest of them.
I'd say he just played the game better, or at all for that matter. He seems like the only staff member with an end goal in sight who actively worked towards it. He knew what steps to take and what pitfalls to avoid to get higher up in the food chain towards a position as a broadcaster, in spite of his obvious awfulness at being one.

Forum Clout
Not that I can recall.

No. Whenever they made jokes at his expense he tried to laugh along or deflect, and in the rare occasion when he was in the barrel for real he'd pout and give the bbboys nothing to work with.

There's that time where they dressed him up as a baby and had that wrestler spoonfeed him and Sam was just stonewalling the whole thing, sulking and resisting but (crucially) not in a way that made for any entertaining radio. I think that's the first and last time they ever tried to have a whole bit at Sam's expense, because he successfully sabotaged it and made it clear that if they wanted anything funny going out over the airwaves, bashing Sam wasn't going to be a way to achieve that.

I'd say he just played the game better, or at all for that matter. He seems like the only staff member with an end goal in sight who actively worked towards it. He knew what steps to take and what pitfalls to avoid to get higher up in the food chain towards a position as a broadcaster, in spite of his obvious awfulness at being one.
Basically, he was smarter than the rest of them?

BenDovid

Forum Clout
I'd say he just played the game better, or at all for that matter.

Right. He was the only one playing games. The rest of us understood we were support staff. I reached my goal. There was no higher spot to obtain working for that show. You're judging others' goals by comparing it to the single goal of Sam, which was to be an on-air personality. When Sam handed in audio for O&A, it wasn't REALLY to benefit O&A, it was just a stepping stone to build the NotSam brand. When I handed in audio, I didn't have some ulterior motive to one day usurp one of the hosts' spots.

Forum Clout
As Torque pointed out, Sam played the game the best, never allowed himself to be the victim because he was too smart and would fuck anyone over to make it to the top.

That ruthlessness isn't for everyone and not many like it but most successful people have it...not that he's overly successful but you all know what I mean

Dennyislife

Forum Clout
From what it sounds like, Sam and Travis are going to be SiriusXM lifers. Sam is starting a new thing with Nicole and Travis will produce? OK, give that like, 5 years and you have two men scraping 50 with literally no other marketable skills besides broadcast radio. Where would these two end up. Seriously.
Yeah the podcast industry isn't growing and becoming more professional all the time and needing good producers to run shows. Fuck Travis will have to hope his wife's shipping container career keeps them afloat

Both will be able to retire in their mid 60s.

Forum Clout
Right. He was the only one playing games. The rest of us understood we were support staff. I reached my goal. There was no higher spot to obtain working for that show. You're judging others' goals by comparing it to the single goal of Sam, which was to be an on-air personality. When Sam handed in audio for O&A, it wasn't REALLY to benefit O&A, it was just a stepping stone to build the NotSam brand. When I handed in audio, I didn't have some ulterior motive to one day usurp one of the hosts' spots.
You always sound angry that Sam had goals in his job. I don't understand why moving up the ladder and gaining monetary reward isn't something to be celebrated? Why would someone go into a broadcasting career and not have designs on elevating themselves? Just going in everyday and doing your job and going home sounds...lazy.

Dennyislife

Forum Clout
You always sound angry that Sam had goals in his job. I don't understand why moving up the ladder and gaining monetary reward isn't something to be celebrated? Why would someone go into a broadcasting career and not have designs on elevating themselves? Just going in everyday and doing your job and going home sounds...lazy.
Oh erock

Sue Lightning

<-- Never heard of Spankbang
Forum Clout
Yeah I'm sure after Norton is done eating his own load off another man's feet, he lurks the board and cringes.
Well to be fair…do I think Norton reads the board? No. I think he gave up after we didn’t call into his advice show about Amy Schumer.

But Anthony? I KNOW he lurks here, not himself but he has Erock do it. When Ant was kicked out of the Cellar by Burr and had his pathetic little outburst on the show he explained how Erock was coming to him extremely scared going “THEY (hmmm…wonder who “they” are…) ARE SENDING YOUR RACIST STREAMS TO COMEDIANS!!”

So we know at least one tubby do nothing faggot is monitoring us.

(I also loff at the thought of Erik panicking that Ant’s racism is being exposed…who the fuck did you think you were working for?)

BenDovid

Forum Clout

Having goals is awesome. How do you go about achieving those goals? If you do it through hard work and persistence, that's cool. If you do it maliciously through ass kissing and manipulation, I don't see a need to celebrate that behavior.

Sue Lightning

<-- Never heard of Spankbang
Forum Clout
Having goals is awesome. How do you go about achieving those goals? If you do it through hard work and persistence, that's cool. If you do it maliciously through ass kissing and manipulation, I don't see a need to celebrate that behavior.
Even THIS is giving Sam too much credit. The little mong didn’t even need to manipulate or ass kiss his way to the top. He simply needed to be in the right place and outlast everyone else. If Sam were doing a shitty solo show on Sirius no one would be giving him Kudos, but because he took O&A’s seat people think he’s deserving of praise or actually did anything. So let me remind the dwopes why Sam even has a job in the first place:

1. Anthony was fired from Opie and Anthony. Opie and Jim continued.
2. Opie and Jim started splitting. Opie did a show with his guys and Jim, being a talentless fuck, had to get an intern to steer his ship.
3. Sirius said fuck it and paired Sam with Jim permanently because Jim had no other options, needed a cohost to survive, and they knew they would only have to toss Sam a few scheckles.

There doesn’t even need to be ass kissing or manipulation involved because all it took was not getting fired by Sirius up until the point dumb talentless Jim asked him “Wanna host the show with me?”