AFRO discuss the first Fez breakdown

DMAN

NYC Mayor
R&F on FM radio is like night and day compared to satellite. Fez basically ran the show, introduced every topic, was the first to speak on every show, setup bits, did the live reads... it felt like Fez was the tech guy and Ron was the co-host who was just there to fuck off.

I always loved the dynamic between O&A and R&F.... While O&A were obviously more outwardly cruel, somehow R&F were far more evil but just hidden beneath layers of deception. In almost every major interaction between R&F and O&A it feels like R&F are working O&A and just using them as their foil to do their bidding.

Case in point immediately after 9/11, the first big moment on the show was when R&F psy-opped Opie into destroying the vintage pinball machine. Most radio shows? One show destroying a producer's expensive gift would be grounds for a radio war... But the joy in R&F voices while Opie was smashing it to pieces was so fantastic. They loved seeing their dopey vanilla producer's face drop as he realized he was out thousands of dollars for no good reason at all.

Rudderman

Steering the ship since I was 18
They loved seeing their dopey vanilla producer's face drop as he realized he was out thousands of dollars for no good reason at all.
I thought he didn't actually pay for it, like the guy gave it to him in exchange for plugs or some shit. I haven't listened to it in ages though, and I can't remember if the dude's obsession with getting Opie to like him was a bit or not.

DMAN

NYC Mayor
I thought he didn't actually pay for it, like the guy gave it to him in exchange for plugs or some shit. I haven't listened to it in ages though, and I can't remember if the dude's obsession with getting Opie to like him was a bit or not.

I recall Dukes fronting at least some of the money to transport it, but if not, he was still made to look like a ridiculous asshole for making this deal with the pinball guy and then it just being smashed to pieces despite being a collector's item.

Wait, am I mixing it up mentally with the thing about the Foosball table? Or was that something else?

Yes, the Foosball Table incident happened before 9/11. Ron and Fez kept feeding their producer Al Dukes drinks until he was so drunk that they convinced him to kiss a fag. This enraged Dukes to the point where he drunkenly destroyed the Foosball Table that Anthony brought to the green room. Dukes ended up having to pay to replace the Foosball Table with a brand new one. So if they didn't get him for the Pinball Machine a few weeks later, they definitely got him for a Foosball Table.

After having typed this out... There is no time or place I would rather have been than in New York City just before 9/11... Isn't that ironic? I'm not kidding either. The foosball table thing, then the pinball machine thing, it kept building until O&A got fired, then R&F moved out of town. WNEW flipped format again after 3 years of my getting my Shock Talk fix. Talk about a depression.

DMAN

NYC Mayor
ron making crazy gail o talk about her abortions always sticks out in my mind as some of the darkest rnf

I honestly believe Jim Norton was listening to R&F when O&A were off the air, because Fez was doing a lot of the bits that Norton would later start doing on XM, like the child molester jokes, Scott, Laci, and Connor Peterson jokes. There are actually a few very specific bits Fez did during the WJFK times that Norton started doing a few years later that I uncovered recently but I didn't write them down as I was listening while showering. I was shocked at how shameless Norton gets with every revelation of his thievery. Is this why Norton always clammed up when Fez was in his presence?