A bunch of Marvel and Disney bullshit got announced

Punished Dan Mullen

Calamari Ring Leader
The funniest part of the R. Budd Dwyer public suicide is someone saying out loud for someone to call an ambulance/EMS.
191b92cb3e659a5cf18d014336502280.jpg

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
They're disposable entertainment, and I'll forgive that aspect. That's what Elvis and Rock Hudson films were, after all.

My issue is the seriousness people take with them. Discussing the movies like film theory and subtext - there is none. I mostly blame Disney for this, because they started these big conventions for Star Wars and Marvel, just for stupid announcements that used to be cordoned off to San Diego Comic Con.

Are there good ones? Yeah, I'll give the exceptions: Winter Soldier and The Batman. Those two don't feel so dumb to me, but I view them individually in a tunnel, just as single films. When our neighbor talks to Gosia and I about we have to see ALL the Marvel films to "get it", I just want to blow my fucking brains out with a bagpipe shotgun.

She asked me once what movie I had recently seen, and I told her about rewatching Orson Welles "Touch of Evil". I described the story and slow build of the film, and her response: "Sounds pretty boring."

You watched a two hour toy commercial about Thor that came from the mind of a Kiwi pervert. I watched a beautiful film noir by a creative genius who just so happened to like food. You bitch.

JoeBrotheChildSpitGuzzler

I Am Racist Man Leader of the Digital Ku Klux Klan
They're disposable entertainment, and I'll forgive that aspect. That's what Elvis and Rock Hudson films were, after all.

My issue is the seriousness people take with them. Discussing the movies like film theory and subtext - there is none. I mostly blame Disney for this, because they started these big conventions for Star Wars and Marvel, just for stupid announcements that used to be cordoned off to San Diego Comic Con.

Are there good ones? Yeah, I'll give the exceptions: Winter Soldier and The Batman. Those two don't feel so dumb to me, but I view them individually in a tunnel, just as single films. When our neighbor talks to Gosia and I about we have to see ALL the Marvel films to "get it", I just want to blow my fucking brains out with a bagpipe shotgun.

She asked me once what movie I had recently seen, and I told her about rewatching Orson Welles "Touch of Evil". I described the story and slow build of the film, and her response: "Sounds pretty boring."

You watched a two hour toy commercial about Thor that came from the mind of a Kiwi pervert. I watched a beautiful film noir by a creative genius who just so happened to like food. You bitch.
Orson Welles commercial outtakes are funnier than anything taika watiti gas ever done

DMAN

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES

The study of what attracts the human eye, and visuals that have visceral power over emotion are interesting subjects. But none of these things are present in any creative way in modern movies. I wouldn't be surprised if some of this stuff is entirely automated now. Everything I see is underwhelming and soulless.

There are apps on your phone that can create convincing deepfake videos. Meanwhile the fight scenes in a turd like Black Panther are 2002 level laughably bad CGI, with inhuman gravity defying cartoonish horseshit. Action scenes rendered by people who have never been in a fight in their lives.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
The study of what attracts the human eye, and visuals that have visceral power over emotion are interesting subjects. But none of these things are present in any creative way in modern movies. I wouldn't be surprised if some of this stuff is entirely automated now. Everything I see is underwhelming and soulless.

There are apps on your phone that can create convincing deepfake videos. Meanwhile the fight scenes in a turd like Black Panther are 2002 level laughably bad CGI, with inhuman gravity defying cartoonish horseshit. Action scenes rendered by people who have never been in a fight in their lives.

You're right about the CGI issues in modern cinema. But, these fellas have no unions and crunch time, and it shows in the finished product. A lot of this could be fixed with more practical effects, and even a practical/CGI mix, but studios have gotten lazy. Marvel isn't the only offender, but with all their output now, they're probably the biggest.

The reason I enjoy a lot of the old films is the artistic endeavours filmmakers sought back then. In the 20's, you had people like Murnau using camera tricks and playing with intertitles In the silents. In the 30's, camera movement was still new, as well as music for mood. In the forties, lighting and the lack thereof became a new source of setting a scene. And in the fifties, you had all kinds of colourful hand made sets and effects being used to push the imagination. It was manmade and felt three dimensional.

Not that all old movies were perfect - Doris Day movies are the shits - but there was something to them, that charm and perspective of the time. It's too manufactured now, unless you're David Lynch.

johnnynoname

I have a face like a shovel

your comma game is on point, brother.

Aside from the "oxford comma" do you have any tips?

DMAN

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
A lot of this could be fixed with more practical effects, and even a practical/CGI mix, but studios have gotten lazy. Marvel isn't the only offender, but with all their output now, they're probably the biggest.

Wouldn't it be easier to just film someone (ANYONE) and just render images over top of it, like rotoscoping (which they did for the early Disney animated movies.) You would think making shit up from scratch would be more time consuming and costly. Using a real reference would add weight and realism to the movement without needing to mocap.