WWAW with every fucking franchise having endless sequels/prequels/spin offs

HotDogJoe

Professional leech since 1994. Anyone can do it.
Jesus fucking Christ man, Game of Thrones, LOTR, Star Wars, Marvel - there's so much of this fucking shit now. As if 8 fucking seasons of GoT and 3 gigantic movies for LOTR wasn't enough to tell those stories. Now we need entire shows that are essentially the same thing that will likely drag on for multiple seasons.

Then there's all these gay Star Wars shows and Marvel shit like the she-hulk show that looks absolutely terrible.

G

I hate how there are almost no games or movies anymore, everything has to become a franchise or ‘universe’. A fine example is the Last of Us. As a standalone game it was fantastic but now with the sequel they ruined it.

HotDogJoe

Professional leech since 1994. Anyone can do it.
I hate how there are almost no games or movies anymore, everything has to become a franchise or ‘universe’. A fine example is the Last of Us. As a standalone game it was fantastic but now with the sequel they ruined it.

I did enjoy the sequel but it didn't need to be made. The first game's story wasn't really a cliffhanger and would've been fine to be left alone :brothaman_sm:.

The HBO show is probably going to be shit too. They cast such weird people for the main roles and it doesn't really make sense if they're just going to retell the story from the games.

Carl Winslow

I'm not a Fed
This shit started over 20 years ago when they came out with phantom menace. When streaming took over, it was just faster and more cost effective to just keep making old shit over and over again.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
It's laziness, because why risk the chance of creating a new franchise which may flop while you can just milk an established franchise.
Sadly this is what it comes down to, studios have next to zero faith in anything that isn’t already an established property. Part of it is also the business itself knows it’s fighting against people waiting to watch movies at home unless it’s some event movie they have to see in theaters. Nobody is running out to see a court thriller or period piece drama. People used to see going to the movies as a big deal but streaming made the options endless just better at home.

It’s the same with TV, the only thing that gets ratings are live sports and competition shows. Everything else people watch on their own schedule, remember when NBC owned Thursday night for like 30 years with “must see tv”? Cosby show, cheers, friends, Seinfeld, fraiser, the office, etc. but now nobody knows when a show is on because it doesn’t matter.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Blame soyboy consumer faggots like Tomlinson. They wouldnt make capeshit if it didn't sell.
I remember a couple years ago the 10 biggest movies of the year and 7or 8 were sequels / comic book / Star Wars shit. I think the other two were kids movies (it’s almost impossible to make a kids movie flop) and one horror or some sleeper hit. Covid really did a number on it since people learned to not have to go to the movies just for “something to do” on a Friday / Saturday and just wait for streaming. Once the boomers die out (they seem to be the types to still go to a theater just as something to do) movie theaters are really going to be in trouble in between the major movies.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
I legit have not had cable since 2004. How people even watch TV is beyond me.
Out of all my friends my age only a couple have it and they have it just for sports. They’re all pissed games are starting to go to Amazon prime, Hulu, and Apple TV etc while they’re paying for cable nonsense. I don’t know anyone under 30 with cable tv.