WWAW Robert E Howard?

Easily_Remembered

It's not REALLY Ray Wilson
He reads pretty good.

I know that most people are most likely familiar with his Conan stories - and for good reason. More than a simple minded barbarian, Conan is an existentiast character with his own moral code and sense of honor. The Conan stories are meditations on how civilization is a facade, and Conan's embrace of his nature is man's real face.

But I probably prefer Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn and even Kull.

Kane is a Puritan who wanders throughout Europe and Africa; seeing himself as God's avenging right hand against zombies, vampire queens, pirates and other assorted evils. Bran Mak Morn is a Pict, and the story "Worms of the Earth" might be Howard's finest work. Kull is an Atlantean king who rules over a land alien to him, and is given over often to moments of introspection and philosophy.

Howard even authored a story, "Kings of the Night", which saw Kull cut across time and space to fight alongside Bran Mak Morn, some 80 years before the concept of "shared universes".

In addition, Howard also wrote a number of westerns, and stories about boxers among others. A very versatile author given his time period, especially considering that he was primarily a "pulp writer".

Any of you ever check out any of Howard's work?

HeyItsVos

I’ve read some of his main characters with the exception of Bran Mak Morn, but I’ll check it out after what you said. Big fan of Howard’s. Conan was my introduction like most people.

Say “Cookie”

ShutYourCakehorn/gassers Alt
He was a great writer and was very based. H.P. Lovecraft was as well.

I was introduced to Conan and Kull from old copies of the Marvel comics. They were at every swap meet and garage sale that I went to as a child and I would always get a small stack for a few dollars. I wish that I still had them as they were fun adaptations.

Last edited:
I've read (listened to) all the Conan stories. His approach to life is admirable.

"Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content".

Obviously you only need to read something like the above to realize the Arnold movies didn't do Conan justice. Although the character is crude and perhaps not well educated in civilized terms, he's not the dumb brute they depicted in the movies. He's usually the most intelligent guy in the room.

I've also read a couple Bran Mak Morn, Kull and Kane stories. Can't find many books at the library or audiobooks though. I don't have a Kindle and I hate reading on the phone/computer.

Easily_Remembered

It's not REALLY Ray Wilson
I've read (listened to) all the Conan stories. His approach to life is admirable.

"Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content".

Obviously you only need to read something like the above to realize the Arnold movies didn't do Conan justice. Although the character is crude and perhaps not well educated in civilized terms, he's not the dumb brute they depicted in the movies. He's usually the most intelligent guy in the room.

I've also read a couple Bran Mak Morn, Kull and Kane stories. Can't find many books at the library or audiobooks though. I don't have a Kindle and I hate reading on the phone/computer.
I imagine that the cinematic Conan was dumbed down due to Ah-nuld's (at the time) acting inexperience and impenetrable accent. I remember a special feature on the old DVD had a screenshot of one of Oliver Stone's original draft, and it had a patch of Conan's dialouge that was seemingly inspired from "A Witch Shall be Born", and was very Howard-esque. So I imagine that the end result was a compromise based upon the new acting prodigy cast in the role.

I am not sure if they are there anymore, but at one time most of Howard's other stories were on YouTube. I am surprised that they aren't public domain at this point.

He was a great writer and was very based. H.P. Lovecraft was as well.

I was introduced to Conan and Kull from old copies of the Marvel comics. They were at every swap meet and garage sale that I went to as a child and I would always get a small stack for a few dollars. I wish that I still had them as they were fun adaptations.

Those old Marvel comics were great! Especially Kull's. Kull probably had the least amount of actual REH stories, so it was great to have Marvel expand upon them, especially Kull's relationship with Brule the Spear Slayer. I bought almost a complete run about ten years ago in poor / good condition that were perfect to be reading copies. They hold up amazingly well. Marvel's original Conan and Kane stories were all reprinted by Dark Horse.

JoeBrotheChildSpitGuzzler

I Am Racist Man Leader of the Digital Ku Klux Klan
Yeah it's a shame other than Conan his work has mostly really shitty adaptations. Watchable because his characters are great but not well done. Conan was probably only saved from mediocrity because of John milius. Amazing Howard, a guy who was so beta, understood what made a character alfalfa as fuck