• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

WWAW da Silent Movies?

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!
Forum Clout
I go fawkin deep to be perfectly honest wit chu but somehow never saw Intolerance until last night. Not only is the movie based (depiction of jews) but I constantly was saying "how the fuck did they do something this epic in 1916". The term jaw dropping is so overused but this is an actual example of that. At over 3 hours long it felt like a 90 minute movie. Maybe I'm overselling it but fawk was it good.
OIP (87).jpeg

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
I remember some dude lending me a DVD of Nosferatu that had Type O Negative playing over it the whole time. It was gay. What you're talking about seems cool though.

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.
Forum Clout
I go fawkin deep to be perfectly honest wit chu but somehow never saw Intolerance until last night. Not only is the movie based (depiction of jews) but I constantly was saying "how the fuck did they do something this epic in 1916". The term jaw dropping is so overused but this is an actual example of that. At over 3 hours long it felt like a 90 minute movie. Maybe I'm overselling it but fawk was it good.
View attachment 24899
Early filmmakers like Griffith wanted to make 3, 4, 8 hour epics, but the nascent state of distribution and exhibition quashed those ambitions.
They were 100 years ahead of their time.
Anyway, check out Greed.

Greed_1924_poster.jpg

Last edited:

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
You can't go wrong with Metropolis. Don't bother with any older versions, or the Giorgio Moroder version - you want The Complete Metropolis, which edits back in 30 crucial minutes of story. It's a bit heavy handed, but it's a great message and Fashion beautiful imagery.

German horror like Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Golem, and Nosferatu. I have imports of the American Kino versions, and they're jealousy inducing excellent - tons of info and clean transfers. Caligari itself, with cardboard sets, feels like a fever dream, while Golem has incredible set pieces. Phantom of the Opera is still a favorite to this day.

If Fantasy is your thing, Faust is my go to. Moreso a drama, but the imagery is fantastical. I'm still floored by some of what they did.

Not all Silent comedy aged well, but Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin are great no matter what you watch. But don't sleep on Gloria Swanson - she's mostly remembered for the noir classic Sunset Boulevard, but she was a skilled comedienne too.

I can go on for hours as silent films intrigue the hell out of me. Douglas Fairbanks, Lon Chaney, Mary Pickford, you really can't go wrong.

1073waaf

The ONLY station that REALLY ROCKS!
Forum Clout
Gonna have to check this one out. I’m all in wit da silent movies to be honest witcha.