• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

WWAW da Film Noir

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
Forum Clout
I love books, movies and everything about this genre, but I haven't seen or read anything written within the past ten years that does it justice.

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.
Forum Clout
Probably my favorite genre ever since I was a kid.

Some great ones
The Thrid Man
Pickup on South Street
Double Indemnity
Nightmare Alley
The Night of the Hunter
Fawk too many to name them all.

If you've not already, check out the films Val Lewton produced for RKO from 1942-1946.
At the time, they were B-films, schlock horror. 60-70 minutes in length.
But they're an absolute visual blue print for the genre.

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!
Forum Clout
If you've not already, check out the films Val Lewton produced for RKO from 1942-1946.
At the time, they were B-films, schlock horror. 60-70 minutes in length.
But they're an absolute visual blue print for the genre.

Been meaning to check out Cat People for a while now. Thanks for the info brothaman.

Snake

Forum Clout

I think the MP series is the only one that tried it in game form that had any commercial appeal.

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
Forum Clout

I think the MP series is the only one that tried it in game form that had any commercial appeal.

Heavy Rain came up earlier in another thread. I think it falls into the genre and was successful.

Snake

Forum Clout
Heavy Rain came up earlier in another thread. I think it falls into the genre and was successful.
I don't know if HR is overtly noir as Max Payne as MP is smeared in it. Although I see how HR would be considered it since the game is nothing but internal dialogue and even has a fucking private detective investigating a case.

I don't know why Dave Cage picked Philly to set that in. You look at the map in Shelby's office and it's center city Philly.

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
Forum Clout
I don't know if HR is overtly noir as Max Payne as MP is smeared in it. Although I see how HR would be considered it since the game is nothing but internal dialogue and even has a fucking private detective investigating a case.

I don't know why Dave Cage picked Philly to set that in. You look at the map in Shelby's office and it's center city Philly.
Yeah. definitely agree about MP being smeared in it (and I loved that series). HR's plot of a regular guy who gets accused of a crime, "ends up on the wrong side of tracks...and the law," before his inevitable downfall in the third act. First playthrough he ended up in jail because he tripped on ONE thing running from cops. That's pretty noir right there.

I wondered that, too, at the time. It doesn't even make me think of Philly. More like Detroit.

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.
Forum Clout
Where we at with 90s era Nigger Noir?

maxresdefault.jpg