where we at with making your own beef jerky?

Riccardo Bosi

welcomes our new overlords

I followed this guy's instructions and it mostly worked, but for me it came out 6/10 for where I wanted it to be.

He says to get a butcher to cut it for you, I say bullshit, I cut it myself just fine. I used rump steak but next time I might use the blade cut. Either way, it's $20 of meat and whatever the cost for the herbs and sauces so it's far cheaper than buying it from a deli/butcher at $85 for the same weight.

Next time I'll have the mix be 1/4 Worcestershire and 3/4 soy sauce because it was too sweet, but the honey worked fine. He says to marinate for 3 hours, but you can feel the meat harden after just five minutes so I think the longer, the better. A whole 24 hours.

Do not be a slave to, and do not be swindled by the Jerky Jew.

soulbrotherman#1

Specifically a quarter retarded
I've found out no matter what I do it stays consistently 6/10 ish.

Marinate for a day or so, make the marinate however the fuck you want, try to add a shit ton of brown sugar to make it sweet or buy whatever odd stuff is usually on the shelves next to soy sauce.

The only part that ends up mattering is how it chews. So the way you cut with or without the grain, the size, the temp and the time all matter, and that's a little too much calibrating from something I'm gonna be randomly munching on in my car.

Cptbaldopie

I used to until my food dehydrator broke. I would use London broil when it was on sale and cut it very thin. I would do 2 or 3 of them with different flavors and use a food saver and freeze several bags so I can thaw one out while I'm finishing one.