• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Where we at with foreign films?

cardwell

Forum Clout
Czech New Wave >>>>> French New Wave

c2FUAgY.jpg

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.
Forum Clout
I go deep with the Belarusian film Come and See. Movie is gritty and all around uncomfortable to watch at some points.

Probably one of the best movies I've ever seen...

Sniff
That movie is as intense as they come. I can't remember if this is mentioned, but the Germans in the film are meant to be a part of the Dirlewanger Brigade, which was made up of criminals, sadists, murderers, rapists, mentally ill, retards, etc. They were pretty much considered expendable by the German high command. The brigade was so efficient in wiping out civilian populations that even high ranking SS officers were like, Jesus, guys, leave some for the rest of us to kill.

PogromStallone

Give Me Some Money
Forum Clout
Czech New Wave >>>>> French New Wave
I don't know if I agree with that but The Cremator is better than any French New Wave film.

But getting into French New Wave, the Left Bank directors are so much better than the rest that it's ridiculous, unfortunately they never got anywhere near the success the Right Bank directors did.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
German Expressionism is some good shit.

The Hammer Horror probably barely qualifies as foreign to you American blokes, but Brits did do horror with a different flair - sometimes better when they got it right. I still lean towards American though.

I guess if you're into slasher films (barring Leopard Man, Psycho and the first Halloween, I fucking hate them), Italian Giallo is kinda neat.

And Kurosawa is a God for his Samurai films, but the one you should absolutely watch is his drama about a dying man, Ikiru. Beautiful film, even to the cynics like us.

JesseTheGovernor

Access to the Debates
Forum Clout
I’m a fan of foreign films. I like to see a different style and different “culture”, for lack of a better term, depicted in the films. Especially since American films are almost universally shitty nowadays with the forced woke agendas shoehorned into their formulaic schlock.

Oldboy is a great Korean film that is definitely worth a watch.

Raymond

You will never see my penis
Forum Clout
All in. World cinema rules. You might find MUBI interesting.

G

I go deep with the foreign films. Italian, Korean, Japanese, German, French New Wave...

Snake

Forum Clout
The only streaming movie service I pay for these days is Criterion. Watch a lot of Japanese samurai films myself. The Lone Wolf and Cub series is great. Kurosawa, N-wordosawa, etc.
I watched the first one recently and hadn't gotten around to watching the rest. I've been meaning to start watching the Zatoichi series too.

G

Battles Without Honor and Humanity is a good series on the Yakuza. All the Kurosawa films that got turned into spaghetti westerns are good, but I like Yojimbo the best. It was remade into A Fistful of Dollars.

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.
Forum Clout
Leopard Man
All of the Val Lewton produced RKO films in the 40s are amazing. How many of them bypassed the production code is a mystery. If anyone wants to study how sound design and editing became key to a good horror film, watch M, and then watch all the Lewton films.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
All of the Val Lewton produced RKO films in the 40s are amazing. How many of them bypassed the production code is a mystery. If anyone wants to study how sound design and editing became key to a good horror film, watch M, and then watch all the Lewton films.
Lewton bypassed the Hayes Code in the simplest way - he didn't show anything. All the teennnsssiiiooonnnn, the scares, the blood, the killing... All of it was off camera. You never saw it, but your mind did because it was implied.

I went out of my way to track down the OOP DVD Box set of Val Lewton films - most are on Blu Ray now, and I own them - but a few are not, like The 7th Victim, I Walked With A Zombie, and The Ghost Ship, to play on my region free Oppo. Expensive but FAWKIN worth it.

The guy was given a title, ran with a concept, and surrounded himself with creative people who built off of it. It's amazing what they did, THAT'S the horror I enjoy most. My cousin Ian loves slasher films, but cheap gore is boring. That's why I hate Halloween 2 but love the first one - even Carpenter knew you could do a lot with implication, far more than you can with showing everything.