Watched Not Fade Away (2012)

AwfulManTitTankTop

"AnTi-swaTTing laws"
I had no idea David Chase did a movie between Sopranos and Many Saints of Newark. It was pretty good. It's basically Chase jerking off the 1960's for two hours. Gandolfini is in it as the main character's father who doesn't understand his son's long haired dope smoking anti war bullshit and says faggot a lot. The family dynamic feels very autobiographical, as the mother is like a more toned down Lydia Soprano. It's a bit of a faggy coming of age tale but you can tell it was really a labor of love for Chase and it was nice to see him do something different.

My biggest issue with it really was the ending. I'm beginning to think that the genius of The Sopranos ending wasn't really genius at all but a fluke, and David Chase just doesn't know how to end anything. The ending in Many Saints was absolutely fucking atrocious, and the ending in Not Fade Away is almost as horrendous. Both films had perfect opportunities to end long before they actually did and made the rest of the film suffer as a result. After watching NFA it's also become apparent to me that Chase just took the bones of that movie and dumped gabagool and marinara all over them and repackaged it as Many Saints.

G

39652dd8164d74c977c960e2b91def73.gif