Watched L.A. Confidential (1997)

Good movie but the ending is terrible and James Cromwell is awful. Cromwell borderline ruins it for me constantly saying boyo in his shit Irish accent.
Do you know any other movies that are similar to L.A. Confidential? I know that Chinatown with Nicholson is always being mentioned so I can rewatch that but after that I have no idea which movie to watch.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Do you know any other movies that are similar to L.A. Confidential? I know that Chinatown with Nicholson is always being mentioned so I can rewatch that but after that I have no idea which movie to watch.

If you're willing to go older, Touch of Evil is great. Watch the Reconstructed Version though.

The Naked City is another one.

JesseTheGovernor

Access to the Debates
I don’t know of too many modern ones like it. Chinatown as you mentioned is a great one. The Postman Always Rings Twice from 1946 is good. A lot of people note the similarities between Double Indemnity and LA Confidential. The Big Sleep is another. I guess for a modern one, Eastern Promises could fit the mould a little.

DeadWithoutMyDavid

xe/xim/xey
You should read the book. What's covered in the film hardly scratches the surface of the labyrinthine plot and sub-plots of the novel. There's a character clearly based on Walt Disney and a child killer attached to his sub-plot that would never have been allowed in a studio movie.
Black Dahlia was pretty good too. Much better than the film. James Ellroy was a deviant with peeping Tom arrests.

G

Black Dahlia was pretty good too. Much better than the film. James Ellroy was a deviant with peeping Tom arrests.
He's America's best living writer imo. His Underworld USA trilogy is epic. If HBO managed to make a 3 season faithful adaptation of American Tabloid, the Cold Six Thousand and Blood's A Rover (and faithful is the operative word) it could be the best show ever made. The reason it will never happen is you'd need a big budget and they'd never give one these days for what would be a bleak, incredibly un-PC and subversive production.

DeadWithoutMyDavid

xe/xim/xey
He's America's best living writer imo. His Underworld USA trilogy is epic. If HBO managed to make a 3 season faithful adaptation of American Tabloid, the Cold Six Thousand and Blood's A Rover (and faithful is the operative word) it could be the best show ever made. The reason it will never happen is you'd need a big budget and they'd never give one these days for what would be a bleak, incredibly un-PC and subversive production.
I saw an interview with him when he was ranting about Bill Clinton and he called him hillbilly Dudley Smith.

G

I saw an interview with him when he was ranting about Bill Clinton and he called him hillbilly Dudley Smith.
He plays a character to a certain extent to sell books but his mother was murdered when he was a kid and he was a screwed up teen and young man before he found his calling writing.
He usually starts his public appearances with this -

"Good evening peepers, prowlers, pederasts, panty-sniffers, punks and pimps. I'm James Ellroy, the demon dog with the hog-log, the foul owl with the death growl, the white knight of the far right, and the slick trick with the donkey dick. I'm the author of 16 books, masterpieces all; they precede all my future masterpieces. These books will leave you reamed, steamed and drycleaned, tie-dyed, swept to the side, true-blued, tattooed and bah fongooed. These are books for the whole fuckin' family, if the name of your family is Manson."

That's Ellroy the character. Those who know him personally say he's a quiet and humble guy.

DeadWithoutMyDavid

xe/xim/xey
He plays a character to a certain extent to sell books but his mother was murdered when he was a kid and he was a screwed up teen and young man before he found his calling writing.
He usually starts his public appearances with this -

"Good evening peepers, prowlers, pederasts, panty-sniffers, punks and pimps. I'm James Ellroy, the demon dog with the hog-log, the foul owl with the death growl, the white knight of the far right, and the slick trick with the donkey dick. I'm the author of 16 books, masterpieces all; they precede all my future masterpieces. These books will leave you reamed, steamed and drycleaned, tie-dyed, swept to the side, true-blued, tattooed and bah fongooed. These are books for the whole fuckin' family, if the name of your family is Manson."

That's Ellroy the character. Those who know him personally say he's a quiet and humble guy.
Yeah I go deep with the Ellroy.

If you're interested in true crime there's a sort of interesting doc on Netflix that's entirely him and his LAPD detective buddies theorizing about the real Dahlia murder over a dinner. It's called Feast of the Dead or Damned or something like that.

G

Yeah I go deep with the Ellroy.

If you're interested in true crime there's a sort of interesting doc on Netflix that's entirely him and his LAPD detective buddies theorizing about the real Dahlia murder over a dinner. It's called Feast of the Dead or Damned or something like that.
Yeah, I saw that. Good stuff.