• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

The new Team Fortress update is PFG!

Forum Clout
BM 1.PNG

1689432718363.png
1689432728407.png

Single Action Army

We ain't goon hooligans we Maloonigans
Forum Clout
Probably because the mechanics still feel really good and it’s arguably the best casual shooter on pc. Most Valve games retain their popularity at least somewhat. Also TF2 practically invented microtransactions

>TF2 is released as one of the best-designed class-based shooters ever made
>No one in the industry copies it
>TF2 invents in-game premium shop
>Everyone in the industry copies it

FingerofGod

Forum Clout
>TF2 is released as one of the best-designed class-based shooters ever made
>No one in the industry copies it
>TF2 invents in-game premium shop
>Everyone in the industry copies it
I’d say Overwatch is basically just a gay version of TF2 with way more characters. Personally though I never got into da Overwatch tbhwy, doesn’t feel as satisfying to me. But even in TF2 I only really play Sniper.

Single Action Army

Forum Clout
I’d say Overwatch is basically just a gay version of TF2 with way more characters. Personally though I never got into da Overwatch tbhwy, doesn’t feel as satisfying to me. But even in TF2 I only really play Sniper.

I played a ton of both, and I can confidently deduce TF2 shits on Overwatch in almost every regard. The fundamental difference is Overwatch was made by people who worked on MMOs and card games while Team Fortress originally began as a mod by serially addicted Quake players.

- TF2's character readability is better than almost any game I've played, even with the terrible cosmetics. You can almost always tell what you're fighting and what they're using, because they specifically hired an artist to enforce silhouettes and "color hierarchy" so the game was playable first and looked good second. Overwatch is a clusterfuck of grating colors and particle effects.
- TF2's characters are mostly fun to play and fun to play against. Overwatch has maybe like 20% fun characters and the vast majority are miserable to fight.
- TF2 has mostly single-shot weapons, slow projectiles, and limited ammo, so you're encouraged to be smarter about playing your shots. All of Overwatch's weapons are unlimited and it's absolutely full of spammy full-auto AoE bullshit.
- TF2 has a huge learning curve and takes some skill (in no small part to unintentional technical jank like rocket jumping, but still) whereas Overwatch was made to be MOBA-like in that any fuckhead streamer or woman could join in and expect to do somewhat well. If you're really bad you just have to wait and press Q for a free kill.
- TF2's characters have enormous recesses of personality because they were written by guys who've read books and watched movies for decades. They're not afraid to be crude or mean-spirited. Overwatch's character formula is "catchphrase + bullet point nationality + fat ass." It tries way too hard to be emotional and grand in its supremely bland world whereas TF2 embraces its stupidity and I don't exaggerate when I say the tie-in comics are some of the funniest things I've ever read.
- Overwatch expects an absurd level of cooperation amongst random dudes of varying skill level. If you have one deadweight on your 6v6 (now 5v5) team you're severely hampered. The TF2 devs specifically designed the team element of the game around how players actually play, not idealistically. (IE, an Engineer builds a Dispenser to heal/supply himself, but all his teammates gather around and say "wow, great teamwork, Engie.") Plus, you can easily dick around in a 12v12 environment and not be too much of an albatross for the team.
- TF2 at least used to have a gargantuan amount of playtesting before release and updates. Overwatch devs nerf and buff shit based on some streamer or forum user crying.
- Overwatch has an obsession with appealing to streamers and pros so the game's advertisement is self-perpetuated, so it attracts mostly bottom tier shitters and white-knuckle sweatlords who sperg if you choose anything off-meta. TF2 is one of the last games of an era where games were made to screw around and call strangers a nigger over the mic after work or school.

I could keep going, mainly because Overwatch's mistakes can also be applied to so many modern PvP games now. Gaming is supremely gay nowadays, just with everything that becomes mainstream. I find myself playing singleplayer games more and more now, not even so much because I dislike PvP but because every game now is some watered-down normie shitfest that does absolutely everything it can to go viral on Twitch except actually be fun.

Last edited:
Forum Clout
OW is fine. I haven't played it in a while and they might have ruined it, but a few years ago it was completely serviceable. TF2 better, because no shit, it's almost universally considered to be one of the greatest games of all time for about 20 years.

Wild

I love media!
Forum Clout
The major problem with TF2 is all the faggot bots that infest it nowadays.

Single Action Army

Forum Clout
It's "fixed" for now. I imagine in 3 weeks it'll be right back to shit, but as of right this second, everything seems to be fine.

I'm pretty sure it isn't; the large volume of players is just diluting it.

Despite TF2 being a great game, Valve doesn't want to commit shit to it anymore, even paying some code monkey .0001% of Steam's hourly earnings to get a working anticheat. This summer update is 99% community content, which it has been for years.

TF2's big sin is that it only makes lots and lots of money, whereas DOTA and CSGO make lots and lots and lots of money, but I hear even those fans say Valve slacks hard.

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!
Forum Clout
I wonder if CS2 will be any good. That is supposed to come out soon.