The Black Phone

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.
Good short story, better film
I'm pretty sure Joe Hill's father beat him/raped him.

maxresdefault.jpg

I just watched it (procured a stream through non-legal means) and I thought it was pretty good. Starts off very slow but it's good once it gets going.

explain for the folks at home what the black phone is
The guy in the mask is a serial killer who kidnaps and kills kids. Throughout the film the killers past victims all call the current victim on the black phone to help him escape.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Every time a movie looks good to me, I immediately go to the Wikipedia and read the entire plot synopsis. Usually after that, I don't feel the need to watch the movie. I still sort of want to watch this one to see that they really nailed a creepy tone and it doesn't just come off as fantastical and gay as it does in writing. Ethan Hawke wears Halloween masks. Spooky. Also, if he kills all these kids, why does he keep them alive so long and free to fuck around and try to escape? If you try to escape you get whipped with a fucking belt. And how the fuck does his brother not realize there's a captive child in his basement? Spoiler alert: the kid snaps the killer's neck with a phone cord like Jason Bourne. Super plausible.

Harry Powell

Semen is the aggression of a man
You liked it more than the short story? I was wondering how they’d stretch it to feature length. I’ll have to check it out.

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.
You liked it more than the short story? I was wondering how they’d stretch it to feature length. I’ll have to check it out.
I thought the story was okay.
The film kept me intrigued even though I knew what was coming.
Even so, I'm not convinced that Joe Hill's novels/short stories should be adapted to film/television.
I think he's working out the trauma that came with being Stephen King's son, as is evident in his themes.
Nos4a2 was a strange and terrifying novel, but the TV show stunk
Shit that happens to you in childhood is often too abstract for a tight narrative.

Last edited: