Opie's pauses

G

Fez dying got me listening to some shows again. I can't get past how many times Opie finishes a sentence, says nothing like he's done, someone else starts talking, and then Opie immediately starts continuing whatever thought he had over the top of them. Every time there's clearly nothing necessary about what he's adding and he's doing it just for the sake of it.

Don't start on his extended heh-heh-heh-heh-heh fake laughter way past the point of something being funny either. Opie's entire radio persona is one form or another of HOLD ON, HOLD ON, HOLD ON!

IanHalperin

Hosting Brunch at a Night Club.
Sometimes I forget how fucking awful he is at radio. The talking over someone drives me nuts. The worst example I remember of this happening is during a phone call, Opie tells the guy to go ahead, the guy starts talking, Opie decides he has something to add, starts talking over him and proceeds to yell at the guy for talking. Fucking retard.

G

Sometimes I forget how fucking awful he is at radio. The talking over someone drives me nuts. The worst example I remember of this happening is during a phone call, Opie tells the guy to go ahead, the guy starts talking, Opie decides he has something to add, starts talking over him and proceeds to yell at the guy for talking. Fucking retard.
Or he'd start into the callers about how there's a good energy going and they need to keep up.

It's important to cut people off so you can reiterate the point that everyone in the room already ignored.

analeggsalad

the Gentleman's sissy hypno
I just remember him relying on callers to bring up certain points that he wasn't able to articulate himself or lacked the confidence to feel he should bring it up on his own. He does the same thing on his 60 viewer 'livestreams' on youtube to this day. It's not him yearning to bring up the subject, he's just answering questions others have. Whimpy crutch from a man who can't assert himself straightforwardly

Tnheheheheh

the comments and ratios on his youtube videos are a serious treat

G

I just remember him relying on callers to bring up certain points that he wasn't able to articulate himself or lacked the confidence to feel he should bring it up on his own.
He always needed to say "huh?" or "wha?" making someone repeat their question just to get that extra moment to formulate a reply. The mafia appreciates a caddy who doesn't spill the beans on this thing of ours.

Ant_It_Fun

Big Time

Nana and Worm were equally guilty of talking-over callers.

alkiefuck2

don't call me scarface
there's a colin show where some cunt phones in about hummer tuesday and the opester drags the call out for fucking ages asking "and then what happened?" it wasn't funny at all. also derailed with an ozone midget sighting .
it's also hilarious how fucking bad he is at reading and saying words with more than two syllables

Easily_Remembered

It's not REALLY Ray Wilson
It's difficult to listen back to the old shows today because of how uniformly horrible all of them were. They just didn't age well. Opie being Opie, Ant's fake tough guy bullshit (yelling over callers), he and The Worm sucking one another off with ridiculous over-laughter over lines that MAYBE merited a smirk, anytime Sam opened his fucking mouth, the YouTube shit ...

Rogan cites O&A as an influence because of their "lack of structure", but with hindsight that's what crippled the show. Three pieces of shit who hated one another and couldn't wait to leave exchanging catty barbs and pulling material out of thin air ... the fucking eating on air ...

I'm gonna wait for a reply before I finish

Mick_Mickerson

Which way?! Medium or well done?
It's difficult to listen back to the old shows today because of how uniformly horrible all of them were. They just didn't age well. Opie being Opie, Ant's fake tough guy bullshit (yelling over callers), he and The Worm sucking one another off with ridiculous over-laughter over lines that MAYBE merited a smirk, anytime Sam opened his fucking mouth, the YouTube shit ...

Rogan cites O&A as an influence because of their "lack of structure", but with hindsight that's what crippled the show. Three pieces of shit who hated one another and couldn't wait to leave exchanging catty barbs and pulling material out of thin air ... the fucking eating on air ...

I'm gonna wait for a reply before I finish
AntH and Jimmy intentionally overselling each other's jokes to get back at Opie almost ruins jocktober for me now. Such passive agressive, effeminate behavior that disrupts the flow of the show as they fake laugh for 30 secs at a time.

That does chew up the quarter hours, though, so maybe it was all intentional SNIFFFFFFF

WhereWeAt

It worked as long as comics could come in and carry the show in exchange for plugging gigs. Once Ant was a full-on racist, that shit fell through for him cause comics wanted no part of that shit. Once Opie was wounded, almost nobody wanted to carry water for him cause he was passive aggressive to all of them. And once Jim & Sam became the Spiegler Girls + Wrestling show, there wasn't any room for that shit.

G

Rogan cites O&A as an influence because of their "lack of structure", but with hindsight that's what crippled the show.
Opie thought that if other radio sucked by all shows having the same basic structure then he'd do the complete opposite by having none and that this was a genius move. At the same time he wanted to structure everything and control the room just like the old radio shows did. If someone like Colin or Patrice were in the middle of a funny story it was important to cut them off and go to break because he's been doing radio since he was 18 and knows a thing or two.

JoeBrotheChildSpitGuzzler

I Am Racist Man Leader of the Digital Ku Klux Klan
Very good points as much as opie could be annoying the whole show started to unravel once those two dickheads stopped being able to get a long. Ant became more boringly racist, Jim indulged in his dumb characters and they antagonized opie. Opie sat and ate and played candy crush on air. Sure they made it seem like it was all opie making the show bad, but they all had their blame. Also leaning on faggot sam roberts for content when he should never have any influence over a show.