not that Jack Horner

If you saw me IRL you very likely wouldn't look me
I gotta open up a new one

Walt vs Tony from Sopranos

lets say tony wanted to get into meth

Walt would murder him easily

Stent

swatchsticker
Walt would just get whacked (Dan, the Italian mafia killing people is commonly referred to as "whacked") as soon as the first shipment went out so Tony wouldn't have to pay him.

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
Walt is more make believe, but also a more layered and well developed anti-hero... Tony Soprano is just mobster trope and proto-anti hero
Walt is layered but there’s no way that he’s more layered than Tony. Walts entire moral conflicts revolve around his family, Jesse, money, pride. These are all reflected in the exact same ways. He lies and says he does this for his family. He abuses Jesse but saves him. He can’t stop making money even when it’s enough. His pride won’t allow him to accept charity and drives him into crime.

Tonys entire moral conflicts are shown to us extensively through therapy. I always think of the ending of Breaking Bad where Walt says “I did it for me”. We finally get the truth from this character. This never happens for Tony. He is always fucking lying, and unlike Walt, whenever he lies (especially in these therapy sessions) there is always the underlying truth in his face, tone, or way he expresses his feelings. It is way more nuanced. His moral conflicts revolve around his family, his crimes, his organization, murder, religion, heaven and hell, the idea of an afterlife, politics, racism, etc etc.

I always say it to people when I talk about this shit but Breaking Bad is a more story driven series. Lets look at the last Season of Sopranos. Tony goes on vacation with Carmela Bobby and Janice. Tony and Bobby get into a fight so Tony makes Bobby murder a man for the first time. The next episode involves Christopher releasing his movie which causes Tony to reflect on their relationship. Then Tony heads to Florida with Paulie, reflecting on his childhood and almost killing him out of paranoia and hatred. Two episodes after that, Tony kills Christopher and we get an entire POV of Tonys mental point of view.

In all of Breaking Bad, we NEVER stop for one moment and get as close a look at Walts psyche as we do in an episode of Sopranos for Tony.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
In all of Breaking Bad, we NEVER stop for one moment and get as close a look at Walts psyche as we do in an episode of Sopranos for Tony.
Walt is written like a retarded 14-year-old playing a video game with cheat codes. He is like a GTA character with GOD MODE activated. That is his entire depth. He runs through "story mode" with all of the cheat codes on. Invincibility for everything until you get to the final cut scene. Literally everything Walt does pays off in the long run by sheer luck or magic. Even his mistakes come back to work out for him in the end.

And just like most third person action video games there is only one main character. Like a GTA or Metal Gear or whatever. No time for other stories or POVs. So Walt is like a one man army and even levels up like a video game character.

G

And just like most third person action video games there is only one main character. Like a GTA or Metal Gear or whatever. No time for other stories or POVs. So Walt is like a one man army and even levels up like a video game character.
I'm into season 5 now of my 4th rewatch, and Johnny Sack is one of my favorite characters in the show. I love how cunning he can be, then turn around and be an overly emotional retard. Watching him play Paulie all through season 4 is fantastic. Then you get Paulie's disillusionment with Tony that leads to his talk with Sil. And after Carmine has no fucking clue who Paulie is, Paulie immediately starts kissing Tony's ass in a meeting. And it's so over the top that even Tony knows it's fake, and Gandolfini just expresses it with a little expression. I think I'm enjoying the whole show more than I ever have.

Every TV thread just turns into The Sopranos.

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
Walt is written like a retarded 14-year-old playing a video game with cheat codes. He is like a GTA character with GOD MODE activated. That is his entire depth. He runs through "story mode" with all of the cheat codes on. Invincibility for everything until you get to the final cut scene. Literally everything Walt does pays off in the long run by sheer luck or magic. Even his mistakes come back to work out for him in the end.

Reminder that Walter White with a year of experience and a literal teenage meth addict managed to kill Gus Fring, a man who was so smart he wiped out the entire cartel singlehandedly and has been playing 5D chess since at least <2002.

G

Reminder that Walter White with a year of experience and a literal teenage meth addict managed to kill Gus Fring, a man who was so smart he wiped out the entire cartel singlehandedly and has been playing 5D chess since at least <2002.
Creating one of the signature Reddit moments in the process.
Gustavo_Fring_demise_%284K%29.png

G

I gotta open up a new one

Walt vs Tony from Sopranos

lets say tony wanted to get into meth

Walt would murder him easily
The ending of Breaking Bad was complete bullshit. Walt’s tacked on surprise confession about how he did things for his own gratification felt so spur of the moment. Obviously Hank’s death and his being finally rejected by his family played a huge part in his eventual honesty but it never felt earned.

Not to mention despite Hank’s death Walt does end up saving the day by massacring his enemies and delivering his family a huge pay day. Nothing learned, no moral message, Walt becomes most likely a gangland folk hero.

By the end of the Sopranos the life Tony has lead has caught up with him. His business and actual families are shattered. Meadow is no longer going to be a doctor but a mob moll working for bid riggers, AJ’s a basket case, his son in law heir to the throne is dead and Janice is becoming Livia to poison a new generation of Sopranos.

The Bing crew has totally been decimated. Tony has to beg Walnuts to take a money machine position, Bobby is dead, Sil will likely never wake up and there’s absolutely no way Butchie was respecting that truce.

He pulled a Johnny Sack move by whacking both his boss and Tony the accomplice. Only difference is Tony managed to escape Johnny’s noose that time. War weary and emotionally spent he manages to fall into Butchie’s trap. Except unlike Walt who dies a hero’s death he’s blown to bits in front of his family.