MC Serch Sells his Portion of Nas' Catalogue

AwfulManTitTankTop

"AnTi-swaTTing laws"

MC Serch's only other claim to fame besides being the shitty rapper in 3rd Bass is him Jewing Nas out of the rights to his first album Illmatic. Nas only really gets paid off his subsequent releases. Because Serch is such a great ally and friend of the culture he's agreed to sell the rights for what is undoubtedly going to be an exorbitant sum.

It's worth noting that MC Serch is no stranger to obscurity and financial woes. In mid-September of 2022 the lyrical assassin was seen on Facebook hawking what else, but Halloween costumes. His "Serch Says" podcast has attracted a staggering number of semi-high profile guests but is perhaps best known for being trolled a couple of times by internet trolls.

We're sure he's just stuttered, and he's still butter.

RoTheHo69

PULL OVER DUMB CUNT

MC Serch's only other claim to fame besides being the shitty rapper in 3rd Bass is him Jewing Nas out of the rights to his first album Illmatic. Nas only really gets paid off his subsequent releases. Because Serch is such a great ally and friend of the culture he's agreed to sell the rights for what is undoubtedly going to be an exorbitant sum.

It's worth noting that MC Serch is no stranger to obscurity and financial woes. In mid-September of 2022 the lyrical assassin was seen on Facebook hawking what else, but Halloween costumes. His "Serch Says" podcast has attracted a staggering number of semi-high profile guests but is perhaps best known for being trolled a couple of times by internet trolls.

We're sure he's just stuttered, and he's still butter.
Don't say nothing bout this bad motha..uh
this is no cursin no rehearsin this is just straight serchin
little bubby is so TALENTED.

Joe_Cumia_Eats_HUMAN_SHIT

fuck jews
"For 27 years, it has provided my family through good times and bad. Now it’s time for a new chapter"
-Serch
“So yeah, I sampled your voice, you was using it wrong. You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song. And you ain’t get a coin, n####. You was getting f##### then. I know who I paid, God – Serchlite Publishing,” rapped Jay-Z on “Takeover.”
-Jay Z

JacquesClouseau

The Pink Panther
From what I understand, Serch owns the administrative rights to the publishing for Nas's first two albums. He doesn't own any copyrights, mechanical rights, or anything substantial.* It's still not *nothing*, but it's not worth much more than several grand per year. In his description, it pays about a teacher's salary per year. Certainly nothing I'd toss away, but his play here is essentially like selling an annuity to J.G. Wentworth. He's willing to take less than it'll pay in his lifetime in order to have the cash now. Sounds like desperation, to me. Of course, the way he spins it (and don't get it twisted, the writer of the article is a friend or at least an ally of Serch's) makes it sound like he doesn't need the money and is ready to release the publishing back to the culture or some bullshit.

*What Is Publishing Administration? It's the act of making sure compositions are collecting all of the royalties they are entitled to, plus accounting (and payment of those royalties) to the songwriter or publisher. —The Internet