Jim & Sam (Plus Rest of SiriusXM) Lose 94K Satellite Radio Subscribers

Uncle J’s Sink Emporium

Enjoy prison, Y’munkoke
*Car Crash Sound Effect*

And yet this "legit" company still has enough fucking cash to give 100 MILLION DOLLARS FOR ONE MORE SHITTY BULLSHIT ACTOR PODCAST?

Make it make sense like how is this not a money laundering scheme I dont see how they can be a legit real business at this point

:image_4848_m:
There are a lot of truckers and other boomers out there who still use it in their car. People like my mom can’t figure out podcasts or streaming or anything else like that but XM just works and plays the 30 songs they want to hear every day.

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
I mean it is a real business. Just a terribly run one. If they truly have 30 million subs, fuck it, even if it’s 15 million, thats pretty damn good. Especially considering how obsolete radio is. Pandora is an amazing asset to have because it means even if radio continues to fall off they have a streaming service under their belt. Hell if it fails all together they could transfer the content to Pandora and make it a serious competitor to Spotify ala podcasts.

They just keep throwing money at the wind though and it’s going to kill them if it doesn’t end up paying off. You can’t pay out these 100m $ contracts to nobodies or Stern or Kevin Hart every year. As I said in another thread theres no way those guys bring in enough subscribers to justify their salaries.

But theres virtually no reason for these companies to ever change because they win either way. If the company continues to go up they profit. If the company implodes tomorrow they all leave with severance packages.

G

I mean it is a real business. Just a terribly run one. If they truly have 30 million subs, fuck it, even if it’s 15 million, thats pretty damn good. Especially considering how obsolete radio is. Pandora is an amazing asset to have because it means even if radio continues to fall off they have a streaming service under their belt. Hell if it fails all together they could transfer the content to Pandora and make it a serious competitor to Spotify ala podcasts.

They just keep throwing money at the wind though and it’s going to kill them if it doesn’t end up paying off. You can’t pay out these 100m $ contracts to nobodies or Stern or Kevin Hart every year. As I said in another thread theres no way those guys bring in enough subscribers to justify their salaries.

But theres virtually no reason for these companies to ever change because they win either way. If the company continues to go up they profit. If the company implodes tomorrow they all leave with severance packages.
Do you think Jim's wife already got a severance on her package? Discuss.

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
^ I mean if we assume all SXM’s 30 million subs are paid and choose the middle cost option they’re making 510 million $ on subs alone. Then obviously 30 million subs and the entertainment is a selling point for advertisers.

G

^ I mean if we assume all SXM’s 30 million subs are paid and choose the middle cost option they’re making 510 million $ on subs alone. Then obviously 30 million subs and the entertainment is a selling point for advertisers.
Yeah but you forget that the lion's share of satellite radio subscriptions come from when you buy a new car and you get it free for a year or two. Most people don't resubscribe after it runs out, so can they really perpetually exist on just new car listeners?

yo check it
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/oth...bs-eyes-further-cost-efficiencies/ar-BB1hBSl5

:serch_lg:
maxresdefault.jpg

word to your mother

FingerofGod

They don’t have nearly that many subscribers and if they do, they’re losing tons by the day. You can call customer service and haggle the monthly price down to almost nothing because they so desperately need people to stay subscribed. I don’t think Netflix and Spotify are doing that.

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
Heres why I think SXM still exists:

Early on in it’s existence it’s focus was on ad free music. Uncensored talk existed but it wasn’t pulling big advertisers. It’s main revenue source was subscribers.

They quickly realized that wasn’t profitable. It’s hard to justify charging people for audio when the radio or shit on your phone is free. So knowing their subscriber base is going to continue to dwindle they pivot to advertisers being their main revenue source

Since they can’t get rid of their main selling point, ad free music, they have to hire a bunch of wholesome celebrities everyone knows. This makes the advertisers come because these are big names with (what they presume are) large audiences. This means they not only have more advertisers but can charge more for spots.

And I wouldn’t doubt that their advertiser increase has brought in more revenue for them than any jump in subscribers. Now its just about walking a fine line to make sure people don’t unsub too much and scare off the advertisers.

Yeah but you forget that the lion's share of satellite radio subscriptions come from when you buy a new car and you get it free for a year or two. Most people don't resubscribe after it runs out, so can they really perpetually exist on just new car listeners?
Theres a difference between a promotional subscriber and a paid promotional subscriber. A promotional subscriber is one of those “Get your first month off free!” things where it truly is no cost to the consumer. The second, and what you are referencing, is a “free subscription”…only because the car company you’re buying from paid for the subscription for you.

1. Even if there are more promotional subscribers than paid, this inflated number can be used to draw advertisers in and have them pay more for spots on perceived listeners
2. The Compound Media trick where you don’t let your subs cancel. SXM just got hit with a huge lawsuit by the NYAG for this exact practice.

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
They don’t have nearly that many subscribers and if they do, they’re losing tons by the day. You can call customer service and haggle the monthly price down to almost nothing because they so desperately need people to stay subscribed. I don’t think Netflix and Spotify are doing that.
Refer to the essay I just typed. They need their subscriber numbers to appear big to attract advertisers which is now their main source of revenue.

Netflix and Spotify, despite doing far better financially, also have 100’s of millions of subscribers. Even if 10 million people unsubbed at once it would not put the company in a financial spiral like it would SXM.

Josef Kuminski

кормить бабушку
They fudge their sub numbers to stabilize stock price, to keep whatever investors are still around not to sell off their stock. That’s why they keep stern around. Only boomers and xers still think Stern is relevant and they’re the ones who bought Sirius stock. Sirius is also owned by Liberty media and is also used as a write off.

AnthonyCumio

FEEDNANA
Heres why I think SXM still exists:

Early on in it’s existence it’s focus was on ad free music. Uncensored talk existed but it wasn’t pulling big advertisers. It’s main revenue source was subscribers.

Sirius was the company that focused on ad-free music.
XM wanted to run commercials on their music channels but nixxed that idea when Sirius came online.

It's weird because XM always had the better music selection, music library, and audio quality. When Sirius bailed out the bankrupt XM everything went to shit.

FingerofGod

Refer to the essay I just typed. They need their subscriber numbers to appear big to attract advertisers which is now their main source of revenue.

Netflix and Spotify, despite doing far better financially, also have 100’s of millions of subscribers. Even if 10 million people unsubbed at once it would not put the company in a financial spiral like it would SXM.
Nice just repeating my point, stupid. And I’m not going to fully read your novel-length comments.

Voscabulary

jen_tomlinson’s #1 fan
Oddly, they have a better business model than streaming-only.

2022 net income
Spotify: -$453 million
SXM: $1.21 billion
sirius are either cooking their books or laundering money for a cartel, cos there is no possible way they are pulling in over a billion in profit every year. it's impossible. I'm eagerly awaiting for when they get taken down like worldcom or enron

The sales call they made to me when mine ran out was terrible. Some urban gentleman who sounded like he’d never used a phone before basically begging and then trying to force me to buy the service that lets me use it on my phone.