Is two weeks too long to wait for a death certificate?

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
That's way too long. When I was a funeral director we could get them signed by the doc, filed w the county and back to the family in a couple of days (sometimes the SAME day if ducks were in a row). As long as the signing doctor was easy to get a hold of, it never took longer than a week. There's no excuse for a two-week wait.

Even if the cause of death isn't on the DC (the coroner's inquest hasn't happened yet, etc.), you should be able to get temporaries w the deceased's name, etc. that you could use to close out accounts, file insurance claims, etc.

What's the funeral home telling you?

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
They're just making sure he really past.

Haven't you ever seen "The Premature Burial", brothaman?

Ray Milland was great in that. He was 14 years old.

Six months? We required payment in full before the body went in the ground/retort.
Well he kinda bullshitted his wife and after 36 years of working at the same place, plus more years at others, he only had a 5,000 policy on himself, yet he had a 37,000 dollar policy on her.... I'm trying to avoid telling her that, but I paid the rest out of pocket so she doesn't have to deal with the shit cuz this woman really is in a very bad way right now...

That's way too long. When I was a funeral director we could get them signed by the doc, filed w the county and back to the family in a couple of days (sometimes the SAME day if ducks were in a row). As long as the signing doctor was easy to get a hold of, it never took longer than a week. There's no excuse for a two-week wait.

Even if the cause of death isn't on the DC (the coroner's inquest hasn't happened yet, etc.), you should be able to get temporaries w the deceased's name, etc. that you could use to close out accounts, file insurance claims, etc.

What's the funeral home telling you?
Same thing over and over "We're still waiting...."

He died of natural causes, just got old and too many medial issues.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Well he kinda bullshitted his wife and after 36 years of working at the same place, plus more years at others, he only had a 5,000 policy on himself, yet he had a 37,000 dollar policy on her.... I'm trying to avoid telling her that, but I paid the rest out of pocket so she doesn't have to deal with the shit cuz this woman really is in a very bad way right now...

You're a real ass dude, @HomeRunCumia . Props to you.

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
Same thing over and over "We're still waiting...."

He died of natural causes, just got old and too many medial issues.
I wonder if it's the doctor or health department holding things up... If I were in your position, I'd call his primary doc and see if the holdup's on their end. Might not hurt to call vital records at the county health department either.

Probably the COVID Crunch slowing things down, but if you have a few minutes, I'd give em a call.

I wonder if it's the doctor or health department holding things up... If I were in your position, I'd call his primary doc and see if the holdup's on their end. Might not hurt to call vital records at the county health department either.

Probably the COVID Crunch slowing things down, but if you have a few minutes, I'd give em a call.

Yeah that sounds like the best thing to do right now, thanks.