General Fatton pretends to know what he's on about

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
I watched Saving Private Ryan with my grandfather soon after it came out on video/dvd. He was a tank commander and saw action in North Africa, Normandy, Holland, Belgium (Ardennes) and Germany.

He said almost nothing the whole film. The only time I remember him saying anything was near the beginning when those two Czech Wehrmacht soldiers are surrendering and saying "we're not German, we're Czech don't kill us" and the two G.Is put them down and make a joke about washing for supper. As soon as they shot them, my granddad just quietly said "yep."

I guess you can't just turn off the killing button quickly. (Sorry for another essay, I've had 3 espressos)
I’m just busting your chops, old man. Take it easy. Your granddad was in ww2? Surely he was too old to serve. Maybe he told you some Crimean war stories and you’re just getting confused?

G

I’m just busting your chops, old man. Take it easy. Your granddad was in ww2? Surely he was too old to serve. Maybe he told you some Crimean war stories and you’re just getting confused?
[BOC][/BOC]
Didn't Fat think the Charge of the Light Brigade ended in Russian defeat or something equally fat?

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
Didn't Fat think the Charge of the Light Brigade ended in Russian defeat or something equally fat?
The Charge of the Light Brigade is one of my favorite historical events, I went down some Wikipedia rabbit hole on it and was really intrigued how it was all caused by someone fucking up a communication lol

G

The Charge of the Light Brigade is one of my favorite historical events, I went down some Wikipedia rabbit hole on it and was really intrigued how it was all caused by someone fucking up a communication lol
It's still kind of held up as an example of British military noble failure, like Dunkirk without the rescue bit.

We're a bit like the Japs in some ways. Island nations, love queues and etiquette, fond of fried fish, capable of extreme cruelty when backed into a corner, and romanticise suicidal swords-drawn cavalry charges into enemy cannon fire. Mad bastards.

RoTheHo69

PULL OVER DUMB CUNT
So is the Russian army gonna turn a blind eye if a few battalions break off and rape/maim/kill a bunch of civvies once this is over? They’ve gotta be pretty fucking pissed off and ready to teach some lessons. I dunno…it’s such an ugly thing. Maybe it won’t come to an occupying force and those reprisals can be avoided.
Pissed though they may be, if they're smart about it (let's be honest that can go either way) then they will minimize that kind of shit and try to blur the lines between Ukrainian and Russian. When Turkey shot down that fighter of theirs in the Syrian civil war the Russians were anything but hotheaded, it was after this fact that Putin helped Erdogan put down that coup in order to sell S-400s to them. I only know shit I read online like any other shithead but from what little actual information I have it seems to me that Russia isn't overly emotional in their foreign affairs probably because they don't have that luxury. The most recent Nagorno-Karabakh war is another example of them allying with Azeris over their historical allies and co-religionist Armenians (Mikoyan of MiG was Armenian).

Last edited:

Hoolies

For me? It's Colin Quinn!
Life is cheap there, and their soldiers are not the sons of educated or prosperous Muscovites. They're mostly from the poorest parts of Central and Eastern Russia, villages where electricity is something that has been introduced in the last decade if at all. The poverty there is third world level. Their parents have no access to any media other than state TV. They're told their son died for the glory of the motherland and that's it. No body (they're usually burned on the battlefield or in the rear echelons in mobile crematoriums), maybe a medal conferred, a small payout.
What fucks me up are the tens of thousands guys drafted last year both in Ukraine and the breakaway republics, they had to have been like barely in their early teens when the Euromaidan shitshow kicked off. Now your first job is getting maimed in a fucking Tiktok video.

Dennis Denuto

It's the vibe
If you look at every conflict Russia has been involved in in the last 200 years, it's clear that the wellbeing of their troops is not in any way important to them. Most of them are viewed as literal cannon fodder.

Life is cheap there, and their soldiers are not the sons of educated or prosperous Muscovites. They're mostly from the poorest parts of Central and Eastern Russia, villages where electricity is something that has been introduced in the last decade if at all. The poverty there is third world level. Their parents have no access to any media other than state TV. They're told their son died for the glory of the motherland and that's it. No body (they're usually burned on the battlefield or in the rear echelons in mobile crematoriums), maybe a medal conferred, a small payout.

As well as their lousy grasp of tactics, there is widespread corruption at every level of command and logistics, so horrible equipment, faulty ordnance, ammo and rations shortages, shoddy clothing and footwear. Troops often have to buy their own gear before they get deployed.

Then there's the discipline problem. Order is "maintained" through beatings and threats, so no respect from the private soldiers towards their NCOs and officers, just fear and resentment, which can obviously lead to fraggings and mutinies. Vodka is obviously also a problem. Reports of looting stores always sees the alcohol aisles emptied first. Drunk, demoralised soldiers quickly become rapists and war criminals. No discipline, no morale.

Just a shitshow all around. The Ukrainians have the very real motivation of blood and soil to keep them going.
You are Patrick.
mobile crematoriums
That's fucking awesome, do they have mobile production facilities as well?