Erock, comment?

Zeroman

Potential R* Screenshotter
IMG_9475.jpeg

Saw this name in GTA online, figured I’d inquire by saying “O&A PARTY ROCK” into the chat. This was the response.

He'd be even more of a loser for losing an extremely easy gig at the company that made the game

I've told the story before, it wasn't for lack of skills. My underling created a false HR report because I didn't let her leave early to DJ a party when the biggest AAA game of the last decade was about to drop. Fuck me right? Giving a shit about my department's production during launch. OoOooh my NDA. Eat me, TTWO.

If being a radio "producer" was still a lucrative career option like it was circa 1993, would you still be in it? Was it actually an enjoyable gig?

It was never lucrative. The most I ever made in radio as a Senior Producer was $64,000 in 2012, a salary which had been stagnant since about 2009. Approx $87K in 2024 money but I'd never call that "lucrative", especially for NYC.n
Would I still be in it? Yeah. As long as it was a show I was about. Producing Happy & Slappy? Not so much. I do catch my local morning team sometimes and holy fuck, is it horrendous. People listen to that. So, yeah, there's always going to be that fire that leaves embers burning.

Mick_Mickerson

Which way?! Medium or well done?
It was never lucrative. The most I ever made in radio as a Senior Producer was $64,000 in 2012, a salary which had been stagnant since about 2009. Approx $87K in 2024 money but I'd never call that "lucrative", especially for NYC.
Yes, obviously, you were never in the business when it was lucrative. But during the 70s, 80s and 90s, weren't radio producers making good money for their time? Radio was still big. Seems like a dream gig. Once you started the best years were behind, but still way better than now. A radio producer for a random show in Pittsburgh in 1986 probably lived in a big house.

A Senior Producer in 2024 probably makes same as you did back in 2012 and that definitely is affected by inflation (Danny was right to mention inflation when it comes to salaries, so car crash me at will dipshits)

Yes, obviously, you were never in the business when it was lucrative. But during the 70s, 80s and 90s, weren't radio producers making good money for their time? Radio was still big. Seems like a dream gig. Once you started the best years were behind, but still way better than now. A radio producer for a random show in Pittsburgh in 1986 probably lived in a big house.

A Senior Producer in 2024 probably makes same as you did back in 2012 and that definitely is affected by inflation (Danny was right to mention inflation when it comes to salaries, so car crash me at will dipshits)

There was a period from about 1995 until 2005 when radio jobs paid stupid money.
Basically, there was a change in the FCC laws in the 1990s. The change in the laws made it possible for megacorps to buy up hundreds of local broadcasters.
They did that, and consolidated them into entities like Citadel and iheartradio (I think that used to be Clear Channel?)
When the consolidation happened, it culled all of the small radio shows, and rewarded the biggest shows with wheelbarrows full of cash. IIRC, there were a few years when Howard Stern was making more money than Tom Cruise.
But the shit hit the fan from 2005-2010. Basically the megacorps spent too much and got too far into debt, so they began squeezing budgets all over the USA.
Fifteen years later, the entire broadcasting landscape has changed.
Being in radio in 2000 was a bit like making a hit album in 1985; it wasn't unusual for the biggest stars to make more than ten million a year. But that shit completely dried up.

There's a forum for NYC talk shows that used to discuss this ad nauseum. I have no idea if it's still around, haven't visited in 10+ years. It was something like "NYC radio message board"

Turk February

Our experiences exceed yours.
I've told the story before, it wasn't for lack of skills. My underling created a false HR report because I didn't let her leave early to DJ a party when the biggest AAA game of the last decade was about to drop. Fuck me right? Giving a shit about my department's production during launch. OoOooh my NDA. Eat me, TTWO.

It was never lucrative. The most I ever made in radio as a Senior Producer was $64,000 in 2012, a salary which had been stagnant since about 2009. Approx $87K in 2024 money but I'd never call that "lucrative", especially for NYC.n
Would I still be in it? Yeah. As long as it was a show I was about. Producing Happy & Slappy? Not so much. I do catch my local morning team sometimes and holy fuck, is it horrendous. People listen to that. So, yeah, there's always going to be that fire that leaves embers burning.
Lol. Danny got reported to HR by a female coworker. Were you blocking the door when she was trying to leave to this "dj party"? We're your pants on? Caught peeking under the bathroom stall door? Fucking pervert.

There was a period from about 1995 until 2005 when radio jobs paid stupid money.
Basically, there was a change in the FCC laws in the 1990s. The change in the laws made it possible for megacorps to buy up hundreds of local broadcasters.
They did that, and consolidated them into entities like Citadel and iheartradio (I think that used to be Clear Channel?)
When the consolidation happened, it culled all of the small radio shows, and rewarded the biggest shows with wheelbarrows full of cash. IIRC, there were a few years when Howard Stern was making more money than Tom Cruise.
But the shit hit the fan from 2005-2010. Basically the megacorps spent too much and got too far into debt, so they began squeezing budgets all over the USA.
Fifteen years later, the entire broadcasting landscape has changed.
Being in radio in 2000 was a bit like making a hit album in 1985; it wasn't unusual for the biggest stars to make more than ten million a year. But that shit completely dried up.

There's a forum for NYC talk shows that used to discuss this ad nauseum. I have no idea if it's still around, haven't visited in 10+ years. It was something like "NYC radio message board"

Zeroman

Potential R* Screenshotter
I absolutely knew that the second I posted this, Dovid would interject with the "mY gUy, yOu sTiLL pLaY GTA, fAg!" horseshit that is to be expected of a former employee of the game developer. Guess what, @BenDovid? It's the Point and Laugh Thread, you bottom-tier podcaster wannabe shithead.

Go find a mohel to relieve your tension, you non-practicing hedonist.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
IIRC, there were a few years when Howard Stern was making more money than Tom Cruise.
Howard gave his wife $20 million in the divorce which was half of his assets at the time. Tom Cruise in the late 80s, 90s, and early 2000s had a string of mega hits that were box office monsters. Top Gun, Rain Man, Days of Thunder, A Few Good Men, The Firm, Interview with the Vampire, Mission Impossible, Jerry McGuire, and so on.

Tom likely was making more than ten or even twenty times what Howard made at that point career wise.
Their responses to Dave Hermann being arrested for fucking little kids will never not be hilarious. The denials. The defending of Dave at first. The misplaced anger and rage at O&A instead of Hermann for being a pedophile. NYC Radio Message Board was a collection of some of the most deranged people on the internet.

I absolutely knew that the second I posted this, Dovid would interject with the "mY gUy, yOu sTiLL pLaY GTA, fAg!"

Yeah. I didn't. That was somebody else. I was making fun of you for being excited over a username that had "EROCK" in it. You're like those people that would take pictures of businesses with "TED" or "CHIP" in them and email it the show thinking they're gonna get a shoutout or something. You took a screenshot and posted it here because you thought MAYBE you ran into Erik online. Was your heart racing when you saw the name pop up on the screen? Didja get all DiCaprio pointing on the couch? Probably made your year. Did you yell for your mom in the other room to show her?

I didn't once give you shit for playing GTAO. But I will now. Can you not afford a new game? The one you're playing is from 2013. Why don't you play story mode, beat it, and then wait for my name to show up, homebody.

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
I've told the story before, it wasn't for lack of skills. My underling created a false HR report because I didn't let her leave early to DJ a party when the biggest AAA game of the last decade was about to drop.
Women shouldnt be in the workplace, example A

You don’t let me leave work early to go to a party? Time to report you! A man would never ask to do that and if they did wouldnt be a bitch about it. “IM BEING HARASSED!”

Mick_Mickerson

Yeah. I didn't. That was somebody else. I was making fun of you for being excited over a username that had "EROCK" in it. You're like those people that would take pictures of businesses with "TED" or "CHIP" in them and email it the show thinking they're gonna get a shoutout or something. You took a screenshot and posted it here because you thought MAYBE you ran into Erik online. Was your heart racing when you saw the name pop up on the screen? Didja get all DiCaprio pointing on the couch? Probably made your year. Did you yell for your mom in the other room to show her?

I didn't once give you shit for playing GTAO. But I will now. Can you not afford a new game? The one you're playing is from 2013. Why don't you play story mode, beat it, and then wait for my name to show up, homebody.
When Erock was your boss, did you learn a lot from him? Because you came from a non-radio background and he had already been in the business for some years, correct?

Mick_Mickerson

Women shouldnt be in the workplace, example A

You don’t let me leave work early to go to a party? Time to report you! A man would never ask to do that and if they did wouldnt be a bitch about it. “IM BEING HARASSED!”
To be fair, most women wouldn't either and if they did HR would almost always take the side of management. Curious situation indeed

:colin_sm: