• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Best language learning app?

G

I want to learn either Japanese or Russian. Someone on here was talking about an app where you just speak to other people and learn that way, so you don't actually bother with reading/writing (which I'd be fine with). Plenty of people speak English and can't read or write it and they get by. It'd be way easier for me to just learn how to speak it. Does anyone know the app they were talking about, or can you suggest one like that?

HotDogJoe

Professional leech since 1994. Anyone can do it.
Forum Clout
A lot of Japanese language learners would call you retarded for only trying to learn the spoken part of the language but it might not actually be a terrible idea. The writing system is a horrendous slog - there's thousands of kanji you have to learn and when you combine that with the way sentences are constructed it makes it incredibly difficult to get into reading anything, even after months of study. The one good thing about learning Japanese is that there are so many good resources out there now.

If you don't have a particular preference though, Russian would definitely be the easier choice.

G

A lot of Japanese language learners would call you retarded for only trying to learn the spoken part of the language but it might not actually be a terrible idea. The writing system is a horrendous slog - there's thousands of kanji you have to learn and when you combine that with the way sentences are constructed it makes it incredibly difficult to get into reading anything, even after months of study. The one good thing about learning Japanese is that there are so many good resources out there now.

If you don't have a particular preference though, Russian would definitely be the easier choice.
Well Japanese language learners are all fucking anime watching losers who can go fuck themselves.

If Russian's easier I'll go with that, I guess.

G

Good choice, child.

The woman is a bit goofy and annoying but this is a good video to start out with..

[MEDIA=youtube]AYRZupz6rdw[/MEDIA]
I'm 8 minutes in. She's cool. But oh fawk, is she sort of rolling her R's there with that preveet? I can't fawkin' doin that... sniff.

Ooh, it's interactive, so this is good.

G

"The Foreign Service Institute of the United States has determined that it takes about 1100 hours of study to reach fluency in Russian. If you're willing to study 3 hours every day, it could take you a year to reach that level."

3 hours a day seems pretty easy.

HotDogJoe

Professional leech since 1994. Anyone can do it.
Forum Clout
"The Foreign Service Institute of the United States has determined that it takes about 1100 hours of study to reach fluency in Russian. If you're willing to study 3 hours every day, it could take you a year to reach that level."

3 hours a day seems pretty easy.

3 hours a day is a good amount. It's what I do. It's enough to get fluent in a decent amount of time but not too much that you won't do it on days where you're less motivated.

PogromStallone

Give Me Some Money
Forum Clout
It's gonna sound harder but the easiest way is to learn their alphabets first. You need to have the basics really hammered into you.

I don't know if it's changed but when I used Duolingo years ago, it was awful. I'd be interested in a better app as well.

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
If you want to learn Russian only focus on vocabulary. Russians are very simple people and and very welcoming to those who just try to learn a few words and make an attempt. They're not looking for professors. Learn curses and basic vocabulary and you'll have a blast.

Japanese expect more from you if you're learning their language because they're much more stuck up than your regular run of the mill Russian.

captain_kamala

Calling all simps
Forum Clout
If you want to learn Russian only focus on vocabulary. Russians are very simple people and and very welcoming to those who just try to learn a few words and make an attempt. They're not looking for professors. Learn curses and basic vocabulary and you'll have a blast.

Japanese expect more from you if you're learning their language because they're much more stuck up than your regular run of the mill Russian.
you have a lot of nerve as a spanish person calling people simple

muy bien! cerveza! spanish are the dumbest of all people

analeggsalad

the Gentleman's sissy hypno
Forum Clout
you have a lot of nerve as a spanish person calling people simple

muy bien! cerveza! spanish are the dumbest of all people
Race Realist Kamala

The first report on the intelligence of NYC Puerto Ricans became something of a target for local and subnational hostility. In 1935 the New York State Chamber of Commerce’s Special Committee on Immigration and Naturalization commissioned a study on the intelligence of Puerto Rican schoolchildren in East Harlem. The average IQ of 240 9-14 year-olds on the Army Individual Performance Test was 86.8; a comparison group of 400 white children scored 103.3 (Armstrong et al, 1935).

lel

P

potatopeeler63

Download tandem on the appstore and set up a catfish hot american sorority girl account saying you want to learn russian for travel abroad.
You get a hundred messages with native russians the first day. And all girls respond too

that’s what I did for french

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
Race Realist Kamala

The first report on the intelligence of NYC Puerto Ricans became something of a target for local and subnational hostility. In 1935 the New York State Chamber of Commerce’s Special Committee on Immigration and Naturalization commissioned a study on the intelligence of Puerto Rican schoolchildren in East Harlem. The average IQ of 240 9-14 year-olds on the Army Individual Performance Test was 86.8; a comparison group of 400 white children scored 103.3 (Armstrong et al, 1935).

lel
Got the black numbers?