Are Chromebooks any good?

They seem ok for 'normal' use, but I hate sharing all my files & shit to any kinda cloud / google drive, so is there any point or advantages to it?

I got it for free so it doesn't really matter, but there anything interesting to do with it?

It's just a web browser. You can put Windows on some of them by going through a whole process, but then it's just an underpowered netbook at that point.
that's what I thought... dunno if there's anything interesting I can do with it? I'll probably just use it to play spotify in one of my workshops

Interesting? No. It's just a cheap computer locked up in the Google universe, unless you count Google's analysis of what apps you use and what websites you go to interesting. You might be able to put Google Assistant on it so you can talk to it, but then it's just listening to you all the time.
that's what I thought, if I don't give it away then I'll definitely de-solder the mic elements

Jizz

they are better than similarly priced windows laptops since the OS is so lightweight they don't need a big processor and battery. most of what I need is web based so they work great for me. Try to find something with 8 gigs of ram and an i3 processor, they can be found for ~$350 on sale in the US.

It's limited to web browsing for the most part, you can swap the os but it's generally pointless and possibly detrimental unless you're going into Linux. Ive got one I got super cheap, it's pretty much a glorified tablet with daddy Google installed

they are better than similarly priced windows laptops since the OS is so lightweight they don't need a big processor and battery. most of what I need is web based so they work great for me. Try to find something with 8 gigs of ram and an i3 processor, they can be found for ~$350 on sale in the US.
This is what I do for family pretty often, I go buy used i3s or i5s, specifically models with upgrade slots. The ram is cheap on ebay and a SSD+external enclosure for the existing hd is like $30

They seem ok for 'normal' use, but I hate sharing all my files & shit to any kinda cloud / google drive, so is there any point or advantages to it?

I got it for free so it doesn't really matter, but there anything interesting to do with it?
It’s great for taking to your favorite daily watering hole. It’s compact, lightweight, and you won’t care if you spill the soup of the day or a Miller Light light onto it because that incredible novel you’re working on is stored safely in the cloud.