• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

11 hour tough crowd compilation

eggfeller

Franklin Delano Child
Forum Clout
Love the Tough Crowd. There's a guy on Youtube who was cleaning up the audio and quality for every episode, but he stopped uploading a few years back. I know it will never happen and it's been discussed ad naseam, but I really wish they would release all of the episodes in some capacity.
i really wonder if comedy central even still has an archive of them. you’d think they would’ve at least popped up on some obscure streaming platform by now

Sue Lightning

<-- Never heard of Spankbang
Forum Clout
i really wonder if comedy central even still has an archive of them. you’d think they would’ve at least popped up on some obscure streaming platform by now
No doubt. It’s about how this all works and there’s a couple parts to it:

1.) Comedy Central probably has to keep the archive contractually. I don’t know when we started doing it but basically every TV show or movie has some archive in it’s productions possession for historical purposes, no matter how shitty or irrelevant it is. Anyone who wants to but the Tough Crowd IP would obviously also wants its archive - It’s good for Comedy Central to keep it for business

2.) IP rights. I’ve questioned why Comedy Central hasn’t sold the rights to Quinn or somebody else yet and it’s simple: Some media companies would rather hold on to an IP and do nothing with it rather than sell the IP and have the buyer make money off of it. An asset looks better than a sale. In a weird way the longer they hold it back the more valuable it becomes.

3.) The way streaming platforms work. Comedy Central is owned by MTV which is owned by Paramount. Companies like Paramount are weary to license their shows to streaming services and we now know why: Because every goddamn content producer has their own streaming service now, including Paramount with “Plus”. So with their own streaming service, why not put on a show that you own? Well in April 2023 Monique sued CBS and Paramount over withholding royalties. For any show that comes out in an age of streaming services they have royalties per stream worked out in the contract. However, if your show appeared before streaming, even if you signed a royalties per view on cable deal, they found a loophole for that NOT to include streaming. This lawsuit is still ongoing. The basic gist is that if Paramount threw Tough Crowd on their streaming service, the likelyhood is that someone, Quinn or others, would be owed royalties. And if they don’t pay they face ANOTHER lawsuit of the same nature. So best to avoid all the hassle for a show no one watches and just not put it up.

eggfeller

Franklin Delano Child
Forum Clout
No doubt. It’s about how this all works and there’s a couple parts to it:

1.) Comedy Central probably has to keep the archive contractually. I don’t know when we started doing it but basically every TV show or movie has some archive in it’s productions possession for historical purposes, no matter how shitty or irrelevant it is. Anyone who wants to but the Tough Crowd IP would obviously also wants its archive - It’s good for Comedy Central to keep it for business

2.) IP rights. I’ve questioned why Comedy Central hasn’t sold the rights to Quinn or somebody else yet and it’s simple: Some media companies would rather hold on to an IP and do nothing with it rather than sell the IP and have the buyer make money off of it. An asset looks better than a sale. In a weird way the longer they hold it back the more valuable it becomes.

3.) The way streaming platforms work. Comedy Central is owned by MTV which is owned by Paramount. Companies like Paramount are weary to license their shows to streaming services and we now know why: Because every goddamn content producer has their own streaming service now, including Paramount with “Plus”. So with their own streaming service, why not put on a show that you own? Well in April 2023 Monique sued CBS and Paramount over withholding royalties. For any show that comes out in an age of streaming services they have royalties per stream worked out in the contract. However, if your show appeared before streaming, even if you signed a royalties per view on cable deal, they found a loophole for that NOT to include streaming. This lawsuit is still ongoing. The basic gist is that if Paramount threw Tough Crowd on their streaming service, the likelyhood is that someone, Quinn or others, would be owed royalties. And if they don’t pay they face ANOTHER lawsuit of the same nature. So best to avoid all the hassle for a show no one watches and just not put it up.
fucking black monique gumming up the works with her fat bullshit!

eggfeller

Franklin Delano Child
Forum Clout
i just looked her up on wikipedia it said she sued netflix because they wanted to pay her less for being black. she seems to like to sue people
look up the fat protest video she made about that. she announces it so proudly & that she’s doing it on account of “racism, sexism, ageism” & some other -ism like someone taught her fat ape mind the words yesterday. has a lot in common with another obese grifter i know of

Riccardo Bosi

has janny powers
Forum Clout
The basic gist is that if Paramount threw Tough Crowd on their streaming service, the likelyhood is that someone, Quinn or others, would be owed royalties. And if they don’t pay they face ANOTHER lawsuit of the same nature. So best to avoid all the hassle for a show no one watches and just not put it up.
Think of who appeared on Tough Crowd: Seinfeld, Leary, Rogan... do they have money for lawyers, though?

Voscabulary

the lord chief constable knows I'm owen
Forum Clout
WWAW Bringing back Tough Crowd.

Personally, I don't think it would be allowed in the current woke media landscape. :unsure:
the show was lightning in a bottle. it came out exactly at the right time, with the right people, in the right format. also, two of the best people on the show, patrice and giraldo, are long dead now. it wouldn't work as a 2 hour unstructured podcast, nor am I terribly interested in hearing the opinions of nu-comics on current year politics. tough crowd flourished because it was mostly comprised of the nyc comedy cellar crew from the 2000s -- with the exception of some guest comedians -- in a post-9/11 political atmosphere. bringing tough crowd back today would just be a weak encore. it's better left in the past